The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Well, it's beautifully played, lots of skill, but I can't help thinking he's swamped the tune, if not destroyed it, with all those chord subs, etc. Shame, it's a nice tune. Personal point of view, of course.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, it's beautifully played, lots of skill, but I can't help thinking he's swamped the tune, if not destroyed it, with all those chord subs, etc. Shame, it's a nice tune. Personal point of view, of course.
    Sure. I was posting it as a good example of possibilities - especially in response to folks who were saying the tune itself is kind of boring.
    I'd say I'm in that camp - to my ears, this song isn't one that just plays itself and sounds great just out of the real book or something. It needs some interest. Mazza is masterful at adding interest.

Of course, there's no arguing about taste. Most grocery stores don't just carry one kind of salsa.

User Info Menu

Actually, I agree with you. I guess it can be a bit boring, I suppose. It's slow, pretty, but not a lot more. A lot of these show tunes can be like that, of course, so we need interest, absolutely. Harder on guitar, probably, than, say, a piano. A few players just up the tempo with a band and bang it out. Oscar Peterson did that. Not very nice, to be honest.

It would make a good discussion as to what creates interest without making it too extreme or way out.