The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 90 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Joe wasn’t all that keen on it but maybe Norman Granz suggested it (there is a Chick Corea tune on the same album, also that annoying tune ‘Feelings’, so maybe they were trying to do something a little different).

I didn’t like Joe’s version much when I first got the album (I was into all the exciting heavy Coltrane stuff etc) but I quite like it now. In fact I had a go at it myself this morning, inspired by Joe’s version, kind of bossa feel and tempo with a few single lines thrown in. Might try and work it up into a solo piece.
    Joe's version is really fun to listen to because he does quite an opposite thing to what those changes were made for imho...

He does his best to find and outline traditional melodic and harmonic connections (because it's his way of musical thinking)... and actually succeds in it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also of course the bridge of ‘Have You Met Miss Jones’ contains some ‘giant steps’ type changes and Coltrane must have been familiar with it. It would be interesting to hear him play it but I don’t think he ever recorded it.

User Info Menu

5 MNTHS BEFORE HE PASSED...

User Info Menu

This is quite outrageous ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Cosmic, thanks for drawing our attention to this band I've never heard of !
    Long before them, "Anachronic Jazz Band" founded in 1976 by pianist Philippe Baudoin (author of a well known "anthologie des grilles de Jazz" ) inaugurated the concept

User Info Menu

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the changes. It's just that the harmonic rhythm at that tempo is insane. The Trane players that concentrate soley on GS wind up sounding very mechanical. Some of them can be replaced...
    Giants steps solo by a Robot! - YouTube

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lots of talented youngsters! What a great sound from a Fender...

Also, excellent colour coordination. Strikes me as a good reason to get a large collection of guitars of different colours, so that you can match your outfit. #justifications.

User Info Menu

This little guy's good.

User Info Menu

Probably one of the best versions of Giant Steps I've heard to be honest

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This little guy's good.

This is literally unbelievable. I have usually doubts on prodigy type videos, many times they just flasheses something very attractive but basically shallow things, but man, there is real message here, with many nuances, and constantly formulated tons of ideas...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    This is literally unbelievable. I have usually doubts on prodigy type videos, many times they just flasheses something very attractive but basically shallow things, but man, there is real message here, with many nuances, and constantly formulated tons of ideas...
    I guess that you know Joey Alexander was self taught at aged 6 , listening to Bill Evans, and other piano greats ,from his Father's
    record collection, I first heard him aged 10 , bought his CD ," My Favourite Things" released in 2015 and Wynton Marsalis calls
    him , " His Hero" if there was ever a a musical genius , JA is one.

User Info Menu

Yeah, yeah, they're all good. But not as good as mine :-)

User Info Menu

"When I was in my mother's womb I would listen to jazz"