The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    i did this with a sequencer (cubase) and samples....retro flute..
    Dam, those flutes can sound so....sweet! I am jealous.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I always wanted to hear you and one of your ensembles play on a live recording. Thank you for that post. You guys sounded good. Although I had a little trouble hearing your guitar part in the song - or was that a banjo? You are multi-talented.
    The Bebop Stompers are French and the banjoist is called Nathalie Renault:

Be-Bop Stompers

User Info Menu

Joe Pass did it and then got sampled by a rapper.

User Info Menu

Not quite Joe's tune, is it? The original, that is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The Bebop Stompers are French and the banjoist is called Nathalie Renault:

Be-Bop Stompers
    I was just trying to get a rise out of Cosmic, heh, heh.

Lord knows he terrorized me a time or two ( and I loved every minute of it)....
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 09-15-2020 at 08:55 AM.

User Info Menu

one more thing I would like to add: when a chord progression has an interesting turn, that is a nice surprise and both the player and the listener enjoy it. However if the _very_ same turn repeats both within the progression, and then connecting back into itself, so practically endlessly, that is everything but not surprise and not interesting, it is the exact opposite: boring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Not quite Joe's tune, is it? The original, that is.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Joe wasn’t all that keen on it but maybe Norman Granz suggested it (there is a Chick Corea tune on the same album, also that annoying tune ‘Feelings’, so maybe they were trying to do something a little different).

I didn’t like Joe’s version much when I first got the album (I was into all the exciting heavy Coltrane stuff etc) but I quite like it now. In fact I had a go at it myself this morning, inspired by Joe’s version, kind of bossa feel and tempo with a few single lines thrown in. Might try and work it up into a solo piece.

User Info Menu

Trane Changes are not created to be liked...

they are to be experienced, terrified, developed, denied ... whatever .. but not to be liked...

)))

Seriously .. .Trane is probably one of the musicians in jazz for whom changes is only the very very starting point of the most unexpected and unpredictable journey.
    I am sure he did not like those changes himself... it was not about liking... he designed them to give himself a routing or mapping... to jump into the things he really cared to achieve with music.

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Why is this thread in the theory forum? I seems more like Chit Chat topic.
    because it's talking about a set of changes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Trane Changes are not created to be liked...

they are to be experienced, terrified, developed, denied ... whatever .. but not to be liked...

)))

Seriously .. .Trane is probably one of the musicians in jazz for whom changes is only the very very starting point of the most unexpected and unpredictable journey.
    I am sure he did not like those changes himself... it was not about liking... he designed them to give himself a routing or mapping... to jump into the things he really cared to achieve with music.
    this is a great answer, at least the first part. However this particular case the promise was not fulfilled, and that is the point. Listening the original recording, especially the solos, there is nothing unexpected, nothing unpredictable, just speedy endless repetitions. We barely can not call it even a "journey".

User Info Menu

latin style:

User Info Menu

fusion:

User Info Menu

chicken pickin’:

User Info Menu

Grahambop -

Thanks, I'll give it a better listen :-)

User Info Menu

fusion:

really like the album cover....a tribute to Jimi's-- Axis Bold As Love art work

User Info Menu

chicken pickin’:

yes..this is an example of how to rip the tune apart and experiment with it..now using a "country" feel..a la Danny Gatton..even using "behind the nut" licks..

so would this be more or less of a challenge to play vs JC style

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    really like the album cover....a tribute to Jimi's-- Axis Bold As Love art work
    yes and he included a Hendrix riff in the arrangement.

User Info Menu

I don’t like the taste of mackerel. There, I said it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I don’t like the taste of mackerel. There, I said it.

User Info Menu

I LOVE Trane changes. Believe it or not I woke up this morning thinking about them. I spent a long time practicing them. And I thought I need to revisit playing them. To me they're most exciting when he plays them as substitutes over regular changes.

User Info Menu

Genius!

User Info Menu

Here's my take on it.

User Info Menu

I think Trane put some of those changes into the bridge on his recording of Body and Soul, then later on Dexter Gordon adopted it too.

User Info Menu

I think Trane put some of those changes into the bridge on his recording of Body and Soul, then later on Dexter Gordon adopted it too.
    just something I noticed..

The Major 3rd movement of the major chords..(augmented theory) is what gives GS its unique flavor.. Flamenco Sketches on the Kind of Blue album (which was released in the same year that GS was recorded I think) you will hear some use of the major 3rd flavor.

Bill Evans most likely wrote that tune ..as well as Blue in Green..but both are credited to Miles..now it could have been an influence that JC used in GS...

User Info Menu

Trane said in one of the interviews how much famous Hawk's record of Body and Soul influenced him.. he said he never picked up anything from it litterally but he just kept listtneing it over and over again.