The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, it certainly sounds artificial although IK seems to be a serious sort of person.

He's certainly got a serious name :-)
    He manipulated the original recording to reharmonise the pitches, probably using software like this:

Celemony Software - Wikipedia

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Someone gave The Doors a similar kind of makeover:

User Info Menu

Another version by Ilja:

User Info Menu

i did this with a sequencer (cubase) and samples....retro flute..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Someone gave The Doors a similar kind of makeover:

Hehe, even the thunder had it's minor third shifted up a semitone ...

User Info Menu

I like the earlier Coltrane. But I'm much more in the lyrical camp with players like Mulligan and Hodges.

I find that what Coltrane got into gets a lot of non-jazz fans thinking that is what jazz is and they don't like the raucous and apparently unfocused style. Far too many jazz musicians end up going in that direction and that simply promotes the inexperienced jazz listener to believe they are correct. Jazz is just a bunch of fast, aimless notes.

User Info Menu

I have heard it described in similar ways to the description in this excerpt from Wiki:

David Demsey, saxophonist and coordinator of jazz studies at William Paterson University, cites a number of influences leading to Coltrane's development of these changes. After Coltrane's death it was proposed that his "preoccupation with... chromatic third-relations" was inspired by religion or
    spirituality, with three equal key areas having numerological significance representing a "magic triangle", or, "the trinity, God, or unity." However, Demsey shows that though this meaning was of some importance, third relationships were much more "earthly", or rather historical, in origin.

---------------------------------

Perhaps, more than just a challenging set of changes.

User Info Menu

It is a very satisfying piece of music, so long as you do not try to play it.

User Info Menu

Trane himself never played GS at a gig himself. He viewed it as an exercise, but felt that the major 3rd progression was okay to use at slower tempos, or as a turnaround at faster tempos, according to the book, "John Coltrane on John Coltrane".

And yet, like lemmings, everyone had to make an initiation rite out of it, as in "if you cant play GS at 320, you can't play off changes". BS.
    I spent a month or so one summer playing GS at 320BPM, till I could do it in my sleep. Then I went to a jam session, and I couldn't play anything else but GS!

The amount of time I spent working on GS at 320, just playing the patterns, stopped the all important connection between my ears and my fingers. I couldn't even play a blues when they called one! It took me a few days to get back to playing what I hear again.
    Many great musicians like Bob Brookmeyer, have said that GS at that tempo is BS. This is what it leads to:

User Info Menu

grahambop -

Okay, I suppose I'm mildly convinced :-)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Giant steps was the first Coltrane tune I heard , I was about 15 years old . I didn't know that it was clever or technically challenging , I just thought that it was the most exciting thing I'd ever heard .

User Info Menu

Trane himself never played GS at a gig himself. He viewed it as an exercise
    Mmm, hope for him yet :-)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny did a wonderful version of it with a bossa type feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clare
    Pat Metheny did a wonderful version of it with a bossa type feel.
    yes I think that’s a good way to play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Coltrane plays on all these albums in his previous periods, with some of the best bebop players of his era, where he plays double time solos.. You can see his urge to go somewhere else with his playing. His multi-tonics gave birth to a whole era of jazz, players, and "post Coltrane" improvisational style. There is a lot of theory and mathematics in his approach, but his spirituality and where he was coming from balances it beautifully (which has not always the case with other players following his style).

I think whether one likes the sound or not is kind of an acquired taste, but of course a taste non the less. To me these tunes only made playing sense after i 've been practicing them daily for months (years?). He is my favorite player ever..

Berklee college library has the works of a japanese student that has transcribed everything Coltrane has ever recorded, believe it or not! Hand written but in excellent quality, and i think done in a time where you couldn't easily slow down recordings. Books and books of it, (i copied a lot of them and found the ones i've played through to be very accurate). Talk about dedication!
    that Japanese dude who did all those transcriptions did them for other students like you. I agree, that Coltrane is an acquired taste and people here are guitar players who came along long after Coltrane was dead and buried. Coltrane has a fairly large profile of recorded music. If you can’t find something you like, I dunno, maybe like the duo with Johnny Hartman, let’s face it, you’re just a Coltrane hater who couldn’t carry his water. That’s putting it politely.

User Info Menu

Surprised no one mentioned this one, always partial to it

User Info Menu

Giant Steps to me is a very large gourmet meal to be eaten very slowly and thoroughly..

I take the first five notes of the melody and use chord forms that work with the changes..at a very slow tempo..or completely out of time..

break it down ..intervals..scales..substitutions..inversions..ke y changes

you begin to see the thinking JC put into this tune..

the "need to play it at tempo" is usually what keeps people from even trying to play it..

breaking it down into small bites and really understand the melodic/harmonic movement .. it can then be a fun piece to play at any tempo

User Info Menu

Coltrane was the first jazz I ever really loved, but it wasn’t Giant Steps etc. It was his ballad playing, his perfect ballad playing and those hypnotic modal things.

User Info Menu

Why is this thread in the theory forum? I seems more like Chit Chat topic.

User Info Menu

Coltrane was the first jazz I ever really loved, but it wasn’t Giant Steps etc.
    I concur but for me it was Sun Ship. The open/circular feeling of the
    rhythm the suspended harmonies and the pure emotion and energy of Coltrane's saxophone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    well I expect he did it just for a laugh on YouTube, it wouldn’t be in his discography. It’s quite easy to do this sort of thing with some fancy software nowadays.

Good to see I am not the only one who gets fooled from time to time around here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I always wanted to hear you and one of your ensembles play on a live recording. Thank you for that post. You guys sounded good. Although I had a little trouble hearing your guitar part in the song - or was that a banjo? You are multi-talented.