The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    It’s a shame Schenker’s wife died in the holocaust. But much of the world held racist, superiority beliefs, during the time. So if that’s the case is it a surprise that Schenker would suddenly come under scrutiny today, especially given the political climate? We don’t live in the past, but people desire accountability for being classified as ‘less than.’
    Simply 'cancelling' Schenker seems trivial and counterproductive. Many intellectuals held views like that before the Holocaust, such as the guy who wrote the oft quoted poem above.

I need to learn more about Schenker the man to proceed with these thoughts; how did his thoughts and ideas (and prejudices) evolve over time? What were his feelings after the war? The more I read and think, the more I feel like I'm being sold a line by Ewell and I don't like it.
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-10-2020 at 07:25 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One more source reference, Phillip Ewell speaking at a Society For Music Theory event referencing Heinrich Schenker in more detail.I have it cued up in the video. It runs a little more than 20 minutes.

I don't know the best answers but I feel it to be important for questions to be raised even when uncomfortable. I appreciate Phillip Ewell for having the courage to represent. Unlike Adam Neely who derives a portion of his livelihood based on subscribers and view counts, I don't think Phillip ever imagined the level of reaction both positive and negative in response to his writing and talks within the rather insular world of music theory academia.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    One more source reference, Phillip Ewell speaking at a Society For Music Theory event referencing Heinrich Schenker in more detail.I have it cued up in the video. It runs a little more than 20 minutes.

I don't know the best answers but I feel it to be important for questions to be raised even when uncomfortable. I appreciate Phillip Ewell for having the courage to represent. Unlike Adam Neely who derives a portion of his livelihood based on subscribers and view counts, I don't think Phillip ever imagined the level of reaction both positive and negative in response to his writing and talks within the rather insular world of music theory academia.
    Thanks for this; I think Ewell’s line of argument hasn’t been unusual in academia for some time. You have Susan McClary for instance.

It’s more that everything is being mobilised into a left/right culture war, so suddenly music theory is news. The right has been talking about ‘cultural Marxism’ for some time. This fits in with that narrative for them.

I have the feeling Schenker’s story is more complex, and I’m interested in finding out more. There are a lot complex questions that go beyond simply condemning one person. I’m interested to see how Ewell adresses this.

User Info Menu

Thanks for this; I think Ewell’s line of argument hasn’t been unusual in academia for some time. You have Susan McClary for instance.
    Very true re; inclusion and overemphasis. I was surprised though to hear details of Schenker's non-music/mathematical writings and opinions.
    I saw this lecture streamed when 1st given. At the time a simple search on
    google of Schenker and racism yielded many quoted passages from his extensive writings. At the moment this has disappeared, buried under the
    mass of ongoing response to these talks and blog.

I have the feeling Schenker’s story is more complex, and I’m interested in finding out more. There are a lot complex questions that go beyond simply condemning one person. I’m interested to see how Ewell adresses this.
    More complex for sure than the examples cited in the videos and articles.

I did one semester at a school whose theory department was Schenkarian driven. I remember the placement person at the school as being very dismissive of my previous school because that theory dept. was in the hands of composers. My teacher was a very closed minded person. Schenker was never mentioned in his class. One day, Carl Schacter (who co-wrote a textbook on the subject in common use) subbed for my teacher. I found him far more approachable. For a day, theory was once again perspectives that could be discussed, not a set of facts to swallow whole.

I did manage to find this which likely has far more than you will ever want to know but I found it very hard to navigate and quickly gave up.

Schenker Documents Online: Der Abend

User Info Menu

Yea bako... I remember. Most of these types of awareness are slow to come. I've always used terms like vanilla and embellishment for cover. And grew up living in what we call the subdominant area of function. Some of my earlier compositions... would use improve, well sections of precomposed bars of notated music for all musicians that had different possible results. Which were really my door for letting those subdominant harmonies develop without having functional control. The result of 20th century compositional developments...you could either go experimental which opened doors without getting in the face of tradition.... Ives, Ruggles, Cowell, Seeger or go in your face approach, more in the avant-garde style with a purpose, Cage. I guess that's why I've always made sure I could cover when performing... anyway, I usually don't get involved verbally. (probably should)

User Info Menu

I remember the placement person at the school as being very dismissive of my previous school because that theory dept. was in the hands of composers.
    Urgggghhh not COMPOSERS, writing music. yuck. Better back to saying why music I already think is good is good using numbers. Much more beneficial to humanity!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Simply 'cancelling' Schenker seems trivial and counterproductive. Many intellectuals held views like that before the Holocaust, such as the guy who wrote the oft quoted poem above.

I need to learn more about Schenker the man to proceed with these thoughts; how did his thoughts and ideas (and prejudices) evolve over time? What were his feelings after the war? The more I read and think, the more I feel like I'm being sold a line by Ewell and I don't like it.
    After the war? You mean WW1? Why would his prejudices soften after WW1? He’s under scrutiny because he permeates teaching in America and people are examining everyone. And there are those in the classical profession who agree it’s high time to examine all professions. Actually it’s way past time! I’ve lived with racial biases my entire life, and I’m 65. We finally got the right to vote 55 years ago. Why does it take 55 years to examine all aspects of American life? Racial oppression is why. And it won’t end until we end it. And finally more white people are actually listening. And we aren’t going to get all whites. But more are more awake than at any other time in our short lifetime. 400 years of dealing with this shit! Don’t get me started.

User Info Menu

After the war? You mean WW1? Why would his prejudices soften after WW1? He’s under scrutiny because he permeates teaching in America and people are examining everyone. And there are those in the classical profession who agree it’s high time to examine all professions. Actually it’s way past time! I’ve lived with racial biases my entire life, and I’m 65. We finally got the right to vote 55 years ago. Why does it take 55 years to examine all aspects of American life? Racial oppression is why. And it won’t end until we end it. And finally more white people are actually listening. And we aren’t going to get all whites. But more are more awake than at any other time in our short lifetime. 400 years of dealing with this shit! Don’t get me started.
    Oh sorry he died in 1935, duh. My bad. Well it’s neither here nor there. I think it’s harder to judge someone who if he had lived longer would probably have repented his earlier support of nazism much like Niemoller. (It’s all speculation, but as he was Jewish it seems likely.)

It isn’t irrelevant to his theory obviously. I think we need to examine his ideas, and determine whether they support his German supremacist project.

My main line of attack against Schenker would be - what is the point of him? (see above.)

I don’t see the point of retroactively analysing music in a way where you essentially justify conclusion you already had. That is scientism at best, even without white supremacy. And I think I could compellingly argue against his ideas having much value to music education based on that.

I mean Kant did that back in the 18th century and nobody took any bloody notice because they all had a vested interest in it probably... nationalism?

“The Germans are the only people who currently make use of the word ‘aesthetic’ to signify what others call the critique of taste. This usage originated in the abortive attempt made by Baumgarten . . . to bring the critical treatment of the beautiful under rational principles, and so to raise its rules to the rank of a science. But such endeavors are fruitless.” (The Critique of Pure Reason.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-11-2020 at 02:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh sorry he died in 1935, duh. My bad. Well it’s neither here nor there. I think it’s harder to judge someone who if he had lived longer would probably have repented his earlier support of nazism much like Niemoller. (It’s all speculation, but as he was Jewish it seems likely.)

It isn’t irrelevant to his theory obviously. I think we need to examine his ideas, and determine whether they support his German supremacist project.

My main line of attack against Schenker would be - what is the point of him? (see above.)

I don’t see the point of retroactively analysing music in a way where you essentially justify conclusion you already had. That is scientism at best, even without white supremacy. And I think I could compellingly argue against his ideas having any value based on that.

(Logically, I don’t need to know anything about his system in fact, to know it is BS on that basis and I’m sorry if that offends anyone who spent hours studying this stuff at music college. Well done to the person who has a YT channel on it. They managed to find a use for it.)

I mean Kant did that back in the 18th century and nobody took any bloody notice because they all had a vested interest in it probably... nationalism?

“The Germans are the only people who currently make use of the word ‘aesthetic’ to signify what others call the critique of taste. This usage originated in the abortive attempt made by Baumgarten . . . to bring the critical treatment of the beautiful under rational principles, and so to raise its rules to the rank of a science. But such endeavors are fruitless.” (The Critique of Pure Reason.)
    Yes, I was wondering where you were going with the “after the war” thing. Lol!

As to Schenker exactly, who made him an expert. It’s almost as if some American preferred a German musical theorist, and decided to make him the reference of what should be taught. When was Schenker elevated to such notoriety that he’s being taught in schools, and why? But let’s face it, folks today aren’t standing for it because of what’s in his notes, which survived him. Heck, there could have been American theorists elevated who likely share Schenker’s fate. You see, when you begin going down this rabbit hole and investigating these people everyone who lived during white superiority times ends up with the same evil dirt on them.

Schenker didn’t even succeed to being a prominent theorist in Germany during his lifetime. So why is this Supremacist elevated to such notoriety in America? I don’t get it.

User Info Menu

Yes, I was wondering where you were going with the “after the war” thing. Lol!

As to Schenker exactly, who made him an expert. It’s almost as if some American preferred a German musical theorist, and decided to make him the reference of what should be taught. When was Schenker elevated to such notoriety that he’s being taught in schools, and why? But let’s face it, folks today aren’t standing for it because of what’s in his notes, which survived him. Heck, there could have been American theorists elevated who likely share Schenker’s fate. You see, when you begin going down this rabbit hole and investigating these people everyone who lived during white superiority times ends up with the same evil dirt on them.

Schenker didn’t even succeed to being a prominent theorist in Germany during his lifetime. So why is this Supremacist elevated to such notoriety in America? I don’t get it.
    Uhuh. It’s kind of like - let’s justify our elevation of European music with FACTS and LOGIC.

(And send everyone to study with Nadia Boulanger lol.... that’s not a bad thing I think; she had a LOT of students, but to go from Copland, to Piazzolla, to Glass, to Quincy Jones? Wow. But Nadia was kind of a massive racist and Piazolla supported the Argentinian junta apparently, so hey ho.)

How well does Copland come off in a Schenkerian analysis? Do the numbers add up or is ‘computer says no’?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    He is the target of radical musicologists who want to decolonise the subject. Norman Lebrecht has been covering the ongoing:
    It started with a lecture by the inflammatory Philip Ewell, a New York campaigner for ‘decolonising’ the music curriculum. Ewell gave a talk titled ‘Music Theory’s White Racial Frame‘ at the Society for Music Theory (SMT) Annual Meeting in November 2019 and debate has exploded since then with 100 pages of responses to Ewell’s lecture in the Journal of Schenkerian Studies.

Ewell’s accusation of racism was met with an accusation of anti-semitism by Professor Timothy Jackson of the University of North Texas, which lead to hounding.

And so it goes.
    Notice how this works. If you’re left leaning, and not complying with anyone’s BS, no matter how old, you’re instantly labeled a “radical.” Man, that’s a very right leaning label, therefore you’re disqualified from further comment IMO.

User Info Menu

Well done to Ewell for making anyone give a shit about this incredibly dry corner of music, I guess?

As I say this sort of critique of Dead White Guys has been de rigeur since the 70s. In the meantime music education has changed a lot.

The only reason it has wings now is because of the current political atmosphere. Although BLM is a part of that, too, it seems tangential to that struggle. I don’t want to sound like I’m downplaying the importance of thinking about these issues in music education, but by and large Ewell’s writing should mostly be of interest to music educators.

I have to say it sounds like the right (Fox News) seized on this as a new front in the Culture Wars. I think Neely might be a bit of a unwitting conduit in that as he has such a large platform. Facebook has been blowin up....
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-11-2020 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a minor in music theory from UNT, which I got back in the early 90s, never took Schenkerian analysis, but it was always taught, when brought up in other theory or comp classes, that it applied only to common practice classical music and was sort of engineered to demonstrate the superiority of German music. These were not controversial opinions as far as I remember. Don't know if there is some sub sect of Schenkerian supremacists who make grander claims than this or if Phillip Ewell saw an opportunity to advance his career by attacking an easy target and getting a bonus from the lame responses by Jackson and others who circled the wagons when they saw their fiefdom under attack. Have always found it better to think of academics all as cynical careerists rather than people motivated by some higher search for truth

User Info Menu

Well, is German music superior do you think? Perhaps this is an idea that should be challenged? Just because it’s not controversial doesn’t mean it’s true; it was once uncontroversial that the Earth was the centre of the universe and diseases were caused by bad smells.

I say only because I think Russian music is clearly better which I shall demonstrate through my Aesthetic Theory of Badassery.

Schubert is not badass. -20.
    Beethoven is badass but not as badass as Tchaikovsky. -5
    Last edited by christianm77; 09-11-2020 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, is German music superior do you think? Perhaps this is an idea that should be challenged?

I say only because I think Russian music is clearly better which I demonstrate through my Aesthetic Theory of Badassery.
    German music is certainly superior by the standards of German music.

German music is the most important and influential with European Classical Music, the analogy would be NYC's position in the development of Jazz. Austria in Mozart and Beethoven's day was the cultural capital of the continent and it had the most patrons and attracted the best talent (and don't forget most of Italy was Austrian at the time as well). France had a great baroque tradition but got derailed by the Revolution and for whatever reason England had very little in the late 18th & 19th centuries. In a time where information did not travel easily, geographic advantages were hard to surmount.

User Info Menu

I watched the entire video. It was very professional and well done.

It’s clear that both Joe Feagan and Ewell have each done their homework. When you’ve exact quotes of Schenker’s views towards blacks being unable to govern themselves, dismissing black spirituals as a ripoff of Euro theory, and saying very racist things about jazz music an entire picture of Schenker is formed. You can’t separate his theories from his biology. In fact the two are inseparable, which is the point Ewell is making. I don’t see any problem with what Ewell is pointing out. In fact we should be thankful he’s pointing these facts about Schenker out to us. It’s 2020! If it’s not a time for true diversity, then when?

User Info Menu

It’s clear that both Joe Feagan and Ewell have each done their homework. When you’ve exact quotes of Schenker’s views towards blacks being unable to govern themselves, dismissing black spirituals as a ripoff of Euro theory, and saying very racist things about jazz music an entire picture of Schenker is formed. You can’t separate his theories from his biology. In fact the two are inseparable, which is the point Ewell is making. I don’t see any problem with what Ewell is pointing out. In fact we should be thankful he’s pointing these facts about Schenker out to us. It’s 2020! If it’s not a time for true diversity, then when?
    Can you show me that they are inspeperable? Where does the three blind mice stuff come into it? I mean to me it feels like Astrology or something (which the Nazis loved BTW) so I feel I can save some time by not bothering to look into it. But is it actually more akin to ... Phrenology? Race 'science'? Ot is it just that the dude who invented it was a bit of a dickhead?

User Info Menu

It’s interesting that both the Russians and the Germans each have strong composers. Picking one over the other is being too subjective. One should simply appreciate both for the beauty they present. This my bike is better than your bike nonsense is kids stuff. We’re grownups after all. So why must we act like children with these comparisons?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    German music is certainly superior by the standards of German music.
    Uhuh. I feel the overall tone of Schenker is probably not a million miles away from Schoneberg, where he attaches value judgements to harmonic behaviour.

German music is the most important and influential with European Classical Music, the analogy would be NYC's position in the development of Jazz. Austria in Mozart and Beethoven's day was the cultural capital of the continent and it had the most patrons and attracted the best talent (and don't forget most of Italy was Austrian at the time as well). France had a great baroque tradition but got derailed by the Revolution and for whatever reason England had very little in the late 18th & 19th centuries. In a time where information did not travel easily, geographic advantages were hard to surmount.
    Sure. Italian music was supreme in the late baroque era though, everyone wanted Italian composers and so on. The Germans that did well were the ones who could write in the Italian style (like Handel) - Bach was an irrelevance at that time. English music influenced the formation of tonal harmony in the late 15th century. French music was the centre of the action during the 14th. It comes and it goes.

But some people actually think Schumann is better than Monteverdi. These people are not of interest to me.

User Info Menu

Can you show me that they are inspeperable? Where does the three blind mice stuff come into it? I mean to me it feels like Astrology or something (which the Nazis loved BTW) so I feel I can save some time by not bothering to look into it. But is it actually more akin to ... Phrenology? Race 'science'? Ot is it just that the dude who invented it was a bit of a dickhead?
    He’s more than a dickhead. Ewell’s comments are only 20 minutes long. You can fast forward through the previous comments to get to Ewell towards the end. Asians and Hispanics have been isolated and put on the sidelines as well. An Asian speaker speaks after Ewell.

User Info Menu

I don't care about Schenker. Schenker is DEAD.

What I care about is whether his ideas on music actually uphold white supremacy. I'm open to the idea that they are. Although, to be honest I care less about that then the fact that they are almost certainly stupid to start off with, for the reasons explained above not because racism isn't important, but because if you don't focus on this stuff you end up replacing stupidness with more stupidness.

What Thomas Regleski calls methodolatory, which is EVERYWHERE in music education.

I didn't see the video; I'll watch it if I have a moment.

User Info Menu

And then there is the tendency to mistake fortunate happenstance of history and geography for some sort of innate superiority, which brings us back to Schenker

But I would rather listen to Schumann than Monteverdi

User Info Menu

Well I've started watching the lecture and it seems pretty - standard? Uncontroversial even?

A bit of background - as Music Edu student, we spend a lot of time discussing assumptions of Classical Music superiority, the problems of ensuring social justice and diversity in music education and so on. This stuff is very much in the zeitgeist of mainstream music education. For instance post BLM the music service put out a memo saying we should all feature more black composers (might want to have a word with the exam boards maybe, possibly?)

The problem for me personally is that I'm not a classical music educator, so while watching classic music education undergo long overdue spasms of self reflection is heartening on some level, it is also quite boring. These things rapidly become apparent.

- classical musicians will only accept feedback or criticism on their practices from within their own tribe.
    - few of them seem to have any idea of what goes on outside of classical music and cheerfully stereotype other cultures
    - at the same time they are always BANGING on about and never shut up.

Other than that, it's all good. I'm just in my own little corner, trying to decide whether modern jazz education's problems are cultural or systemic. No-one bothers me.

User Info Menu

It’s important to watch the video because Ewell has many of the quotes from Schenker which displays his racism. This is why people are worked up about Schenker. Ewell presents his case like a well horned country lawyer who slices and dices his opponent. I don’t see how one can separate him from his comments for they’re too inflammatory towards non whites. It’s pretty sickening stuff.

User Info Menu

Well I've started watching the lecture and it seems pretty - standard? Uncontroversial even?

A bit of background - as Music Edu student, we spend a lot of time discussing assumptions of Classical Music superiority, the problems of ensuring social justice and diversity in music education and so on. This stuff is very much in the zeitgeist of mainstream music education. For instance post BLM the music service put out a memo saying we should all feature more black composers (might want to have a word with the exam boards maybe, possibly?)

The problem for me personally is that I'm not a classical music educator, so while watching classic music education undergo long overdue spasms of self reflection is heartening on some level, it is also quite boring. These things rapidly become apparent.

- classical musicians will only accept feedback or criticism on their practices from within their own tribe.
    - few of them seem to have any idea of what goes on outside of classical music and cheerfully stereotype other cultures
    - at the same time they are always BANGING on about and never shut up.

Other than that, it's all good. I'm just in my own little corner, trying to decide whether modern jazz education's problems are cultural or systemic. No-one bothers me.
    But it’s not just tribal. Per the video, 1.5% of all the thousands of books printed, in America are from black people. That’s today. So yes, that is a problem. Again, Ewell presents those numbers too in his presentation. The man got a bleeping standing ovation afterward. Okay that’s not saying much but what it is saying is he’s a polished speaker who takes no prisoners, and I suspect that’s why he’s being attacked. Remember, he didn’t seek out this notoriety, in spite of what BMW says. But I like that Ewell calls a spade a spade.