User Info Menu

May interest someone

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool vid

FWIW I was always taught in traditional CP theory that iii was ambiguous, a sub for either I or V

User Info Menu

Since I was self taught by an excellent teacher , my view of things musical like "function" tend to be analytically synthetic and a bit abstract. If we take the cross product of all chords (all possible pairings of chords* including all roots, inversions, types, and extensions) and plotted them by frequency of occurrence of these changes in music, we would see the most frequent comprising the primary names of functional analysis and the rest comprising the progressively lesser frequent names, then those with obscure names, then the unnamed, then the ones that are very rarely heard, and finally those that just don't show up in music (...Western tonal music).

An arbitrary division is made to separate and call "these changes" functional, and "these others" nonfunctional. Some changes are deemed functional because their chords are similar enough to the primary names that they are considered substitutes and so associated with the general primary groups.

But to me the nature of function is not just due to a popularity contest; it is an intrinsic psycho-acoustical "pressure" of a harmony toward another, and within the context of a progression these pressures have different strengths and develop a complex hierarchy of interactive influence. I think this influence is subject to and extends to all harmonies - I don't really hear a "cut-off" level before which the harmonies are functional and beyond which they are nonfunctional. The extremes may not be very musical, but some of the harmonic "pressure" is still there.

I liked your video! No one can say too much about functional harmony, it is a foundation and it is good for odd balls like me to review the canonical theory against my personally acquired version.

*It is not a bad exercise at all to take two chords at random and compose musical progression pathways from one to the other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Cool vid

FWIW I was always taught in traditional CP theory that iii was ambiguous, a sub for either I or V
    I think it varies from teacher to teacher.