Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 251 to 254 of 254

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by broturtel
    This is my favorite reply to this thread thus far. Thank you for sharing this man and it gave me such a new understanding of learning. I can't even tell you how much this just helped me. I know that sounds weird but this comment really just put together some pieces in my head and gave me some new ideas on learning new stuff. Thank you so much.
    Well thank you for that. I would add that "Jungle" teachers prefer the inductive method: like "hard immersion" in language studies. "Zoo" teachers prefer the deductive method--traditional grammar and vocabulary drilling in language learning. Of course, we need both to be competent.

I tend to be a jungle guy, but then I get scared and run to the zoo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    ...I tend to be a jungle guy, but then I get scared and run to the zoo.
    I feel this one on a spiritual level

User Info Menu

I like Berkman. The stuff that needs to be in there is in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Well thank you for that. I would add that "Jungle" teachers prefer the inductive method: like "hard immersion" in language studies. "Zoo" teachers prefer the deductive method--traditional grammar and vocabulary drilling in language learning. Of course, we need both to be competent.

I tend to be a jungle guy, but then I get scared and run to the zoo.
    i think a bit of zoo can help, but I do think the jungle has to be the primary driver of learning.

otherwise you get this thing where people feel they have to learn all the theory before they attempt to play with other people, and end up never doing it.

but I’ve always been quite a hands-on oriented learner, probably to a fault