The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Yea... I still dig killin vamps... really. Years ago I did some live gigs with DJs and large stage groups. Once the ensemble locks in, you can watch the crowd start to also lock.... it's like giant waves created from people. Anyway
    I played R&B and funk for years... I still love vamps.

If you don't have your skills together... really, Bebop at bebop tempo doesn't just mean playing the notes. Feels are about having larger spaces in control. I mean I noticed right away on the first track... the time thing moved around but always came back. Being able to sub-divide and sub-divide again all within larger spaces and keep the accent pattern of the feel always implied, while using rhythm, harmony and improv skills to shape that larger space... needs serious skills.

It can get complicated... all the music you play around that accent pattern, the feel of the groove, can have many levels going on. It's like performing counterpoint with all the aspect of music.

The better your skill level.... the more levels of locking in you'll have control of. In general, most can't hear or feel past the being in the moment thing. The vanilla thing. Nothing worse than playing simple sounding music simple.

Most like the slow and steady approach.... I've always said just the opposite, push... One longer session will raise your level of playing faster than many short sessions.

If your a beginner-intermediate level guitarist .... you need to get better. Start with rhythm... and tempo.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This type of question will probably be typical of any jazz newcomer wishing to dive in at the modern end - ie - how much of the history / tradition do I need to understand?

So here's an answer that can't be too far off the mark: Find out what artists and styles you're interested in, and simply find out who they studied and listened to coming up!

Really, this will work for just about anyone interested in just about any style. You dig bebop?, find out who charlie parker was listening to and study that. Hard bop?, find out who they were coming up with (probably Parker...), Wayne Shorter?, check out his roots. Scofield?, where did he come from? Glasper?- easy to find out what he studied.

In other words, no need to take it all the way back to Louis Armstrong, although if you had the time, and you did, then I have absolutely no doubt you'll be all the better for it!

User Info Menu

I've always just transcribed/copied from the recordings I like and then do some research into what is being played, harmonically, melodically, rhythmically.

I find with this tried and tested transcribing "copying" method, your playing will sound more similar to the music you like.

User Info Menu

I also don't think it is necessary to start at any given point A, then go through prescribed steps to get where you want to be. Even if it might make the understanding process easier, the downside could be loss in motivation, which will then make things harder.

As an example, I got my wife into jazz via older swing stuff, Sinatra and big bands, which opened her ears and mind towards newer stuff, like Jonathan Scales, while skipping bebop altogether.

User Info Menu

So for me I've mostly taught myself music and guitar o er 50 years of pro playing. A good thing about being a pro, is you have to learn new material all the time. And in different genres as well if you want to stay working.

Theory to me is just a way of organizing scales which in turn produce chords. Different chords and their usage depending on complexity of the harmony is what's important. In other words being like a taxi driver taking different routes.

Some routes are more complex than others, there for need extentended chord tone vocabulary above the 7th degree of the scale. Others are relatively simple Blues forms.
    Understanding it and translating it to technique on an instrument are 2 different disciplines. The only way to get better is practicing to develop your chops.

It isn't all that complicated ,but like anything it requires discipline and time. Enjoy the ride!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The only thing is the broadband here is laughable.
    Not too bad here in Sydenham at 2.30am! Virgin broadband seem to have upped their game since lockdown; I guess they'd haemorrage customers if they persisted with their previous crappy service.

Yes, so many musicians in southeast London....

Um, in reply to the original post, once or twice Amazon has flagged up this book 'The Neo Soul Guitar book' to me. It looks like it goes a good bit closer to jazz than the D'Angelo/Eryka Badu that 'neo soul' might imply. Might be worth a punt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Milton
    Not too bad here in Sydenham at 2.30am! Virgin broadband seem to have upped their game since lockdown; I guess they'd haemorrage customers if they persisted with their previous crappy service.

Yes, so many musicians in southeast London....
    It literally varies street to street. Sydenham has decent broadband. Over this side (Crofton Park) my phone is faster.