The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I have been playing the guitar for around 4 years now. I would say that I have been able to develop somewhat of an ear in the process and have decent technical ability. Regretfully, I have neglected learning music theory in those four years. I do not know an ounce of theory, I only know where the notes on the guitar are lol my mind is an clean slate.
    I am posting in this forum in particular because I’ve seen the videos you guys post on here and my goal is ultimately to be able to improvise as freely as you guys can.
    I have strong roots in blues and r&b, through my four years of playing I have worked solely on learning blues and r&b songs note for note, and have recently started transcribing Charlie Christian and Wes solos. Again, I have no idea what scales I am playing, what key the song is in, etc.
    I was hoping that you guys would be able to steer me in the right direction in regards to where I should start off, and if there is some sort of roadmap that I should follow.
    Thank you all very much, I will take anything that I can gain, all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Stay safe and well everyone.

PS: I apologize if there is already a thread like this, I tried looking for one before posting but I did not come across one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Know every note on all 5 strings. The 6th one is free. Not as hard as it seems either. One minute per string 5 minutes a day, first thing I the morning. Use a timer and less than a month you'll easily have it. Start there first.

Next learn intervals and basic chord construction. Remember chords are derived from scales. Start with a Major Scale and derive 7 Modes and respective chords.
    Once you understand that process move on to doing the same with Melodic and Harmonic Minor Scales.
    Do all of this away from your instrument, on paper. I'll give you more next month if you like.

Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Start with the major scale, and learn which degree is which - 1 2 3 4 etc.

Doesn’t have to be note names, but that’s good for reading.

if you gain this knowledge, scale and chord construction will be much easier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick3497
    Hi everyone,

I have been playing the guitar for around 4 years now. I would say that I have been able to develop somewhat of an ear in the process and have decent technical ability. Regretfully, I have neglected learning music theory in those four years. I do not know an ounce of theory, I only know where the notes on the guitar are lol my mind is an clean slate.
    I am posting in this forum in particular because I’ve seen the videos you guys post on here and my goal is ultimately to be able to improvise as freely as you guys can.
    I have strong roots in blues and r&b, through my four years of playing I have worked solely on learning blues and r&b songs note for note, and have recently started transcribing Charlie Christian and Wes solos. Again, I have no idea what scales I am playing, what key the song is in, etc.
    I was hoping that you guys would be able to steer me in the right direction in regards to where I should start off, and if there is some sort of roadmap that I should follow.
    Thank you all very much, I will take anything that I can gain, all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Stay safe and well everyone.

PS: I apologize if there is already a thread like this, I tried looking for one before posting but I did not come across one.
    You might get as many roadmaps as replies. And every one of them will have worked for the player that posted it.

Here's mine: Learn to read. A few months work to cover the entire fingerboard. Then some basic theory about how chords are constructed. Also, how tunes can be seen as moving among tonal centers -- and how a tonal center implies a scale. Start with major and minor scales (like C major and Aminor, which have the same notes) . At that point, you have enough to improvise quite well. Warren Nunes wrote some books showing how to apply this to tunes.

There is several lifetimes more stuff to learn, but that's plenty to start.

Thank you all very much for the replies and suggestions. I will look into and work on all of the things you guys have mentioned. Thank you very much again, I greatly appreciate the guidance

User Info Menu

Check out what the hell are those "functions".

User Info Menu

There used to be an all about guitar and guitar instruction book by Ralph Denyer.
    The Guitar Handbook. Covered more than just music. But there was a great section about theory and song construction that really helped me along the way.
    It's great as a music and guitar reference book.Well worth having!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick3497
    Hi everyone,

You've come to the right place!

User Info Menu

You can buy old college Music Theory text books on ebay for 5 or 10 USD.
    Those will not be guitar specific but will provide a great foundation.

Elementary Harmony by Ottman is good. There are two more books in the series.

User Info Menu

Just remember Theory is the same for every instrument. Guitar is an instrument you express your music language with.

Learning your instrument is knowing all the notes, and having facility on it. Learn theory separate at first then apply it. This may seem dumb, but it's where most guitarists fall down!

Thank you again everyone for all the help. I will definitely look into all of the material that has been mentioned. Thank you all very much for taking the time to share these things with me, I look forward to immersing myself in all of it. Thank you all once again for being so kind