The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 206 of 206

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    My gramps was bitching about the same shit in 1962....it seems to be relative amongst the old geezer club.
    Hi, C,
    Or, perhaps it takes that long to have a real perspective. However, I don't think age is necessarily the only factor since many younger working Jazzers feel the same way. . . try booking a Jazz gig in your hometown and GET paid FAIRLY if it's not a major city. Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Again agreed with level of great young players. It's the music itself that is being produced that has no real greatness or originality imo.
    Where are the Jimi Hendrix's,Jaco's, Coltrane, and this is true in every genre since the technology revolution.

Again my contention is we live now live in the Visual Age as opposed to an Audio age when it comes to music. Also popularity is of utmost importance as opposed to actual content.
    Hard to be inventive if all you do is follow!
    True. The 80's was a visual decade with MTV and many musicians trying to raise the bar with their stage show or at least look. Now younger people are used to documenting their lives with cell phones.
    The analog era is over. It takes getting used to at least for me. I fell into a situation where I could have made a great deal of money in the 80's by just performing. No recording, no promotion, etc..
    That time is passed. I'm going to get into what I always disliked the most- recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    ....The analog era is over....
    This is not true so long as we are analogue beings in an analogue universe.

More like we've become narcissistic beings in a narcissistic world. In other words every one has become an Amway Salesperson! YUCK!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    More like we've become narcissistic beings in a narcissistic world. In other words every one has become an Amway Salesperson! YUCK!!!!!
    When you say 'every one' I assume your including yourself.

Absolutely a narcissistic personality is what it takes to be a musician or artist. But recognising it and putting in check is at least what I try to do. How successful at that, depends on whom you'd ask.

But the difference was I only had to sell myself to other musicians to get work.
    Nowadays you sell directly to everyone on Facebook and YouTube.
    Also you didn't get on stage if you weren't good. Or they would give you the Old Bum's Rush!