The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 206

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Never got the capo hate. There is guitar outside of Jazz guitar, and many of the world's most respected players use a capo to create music that cannot be made otherwise. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
    I don't understand 'capo hate' either, but I don't see any here. This thread is about lack of knowledge related to guitarist. If one uses a capo due to lack of knowledge comments about capo usage apply to this thread.

Also can you provide an example that illustrates this: use a capo to create music that cannot be made otherwise.

I really don't see how that is possible; E.g. a capo can be used to create a chord sound "that cannot be made otherwise".

(PS: Reading above I assume any 'example' would be the open-string sound one gets on an acoustic',, I get that, I.e. to get as close to that folk sound one needs to play those folk open string voicings, this is especially true for cover-bands).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I don't understand 'capo hate' either, but I don't see any here. This thread is about lack of knowledge related to guitarist. If one uses a capo due to lack of knowledge comments about capo usage apply to this thread.

Also can you provide an example that illustrates this: use a capo to create music that cannot be made otherwise.

I really don't see how that is possible; E.g. a capo can be used to create a chord sound "that cannot be made otherwise".

(PS: Reading above I assume any 'example' would be the open-string sound one gets on an acoustic',, I get that, I.e. to get as close to that folk sound one needs to play those folk open string voicings, this is especially true for cover-bands).
    I don't understand the question.

Here Comes the Sun is not the same song without a capo. Does that count? No idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Here Comes the Sun is not the same song without a capo. Does that count? No idea.
    Yea, that would be an on-target example related to the other person's comment of: "use a capo to create music that cannot be made otherwise".

I still find 'cannot be made otherwise' slightly over-the-top, because of course the music could be made, but it wouldn't be 'the same' (so for me your use of 'not the same song', is more descriptive).

Related to 'the same'; This is why I mentioned cover-bands. Sounding 'the same' is really important and sometimes your mates will require one to use a capo. "Stop playing those dang movable chords, and use that capo, so you sound like the album!".

User Info Menu

Well, it DOES make a difference.

The bluegrass players wouldn't sound the same if they were using moveable shapes.

Depends how you parameterise music. Are parameters such as tone colour and so on less important than harmony and melody? Maybe equally important in some forms of music.

I appreciate all the thoughtful comments on all sides of this conversation.Thanks!

User Info Menu

Imo, music is not just chord shapes. It's a lot more than that. Tone plays a huge role. Tone production is a whole world of study for string and wind players, and as a guitar and bass player it is for me as well.
    I play the guitar in a variety of tunings and for a variety of reasons.
    Many of which I could assume the anti capo crowd would also consider "cheating" as well, but that is of no concern to me.
    For example, I use C9 a good bit. Low to high CGCGCD. You may know it as the Zep Rain Song tuning. I like low tunings such as this, and I really like them when we capo back up and put the guitar back in a register closer to standard.
    Why? Because it sounds good to me. The sound of a short scale loose string can be quite different to the sound of a longer very taught string. Ymmv but I find it a compelling sound and good tool to have for certain tunes. It's another color and tha's a plus imo.
    Here is cgcgcd capoed at 5 iirc.
    I wish you could hear it in person.

User Info Menu

Now we are talking about articulation. To me articulation is huge. Yes, players can show us their caged shape versions of the cowboy chords,and some do it really well, but it's never going to be the same.
    That record sold pretty well. I wonder if it would have sold better if it was capo free?

But then there are plenty of tunes far less basic then Here Comes the Sun. And again would can spend year trying to find hand contortions that might allow you to kind sorta get that sound - But imo that's like spinning plates on sticks. Difficult. Takes years of effort, and in the end very few people give a shit.

The thing I keep trying to impart in this thread is not the tools that help you make music capo,tunings ,etc. It's that music is a lifelong study or vocation that requires discipline wether it be the Blues, Jazz,Classical,Folk,Rock,etc.

I always liken this to other professions wether sports,arts,medicine, etc.Were competence and time in the saddle makes a huge difference even if your born naturally talented.

When it becomes a loop that any non playing musician or barely competent one. Then it becomes dumbed down and thought of as a free pop machine (pun intended ) And the real musicians in every generate of music are harmed as well as the actual music itself,imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Imo, music is not just chord shapes. It's a lot more than that. Tone plays a huge role. Tone production is a whole world of study for string and wind players, and as a guitar and bass player it is for me as well.
    I play the guitar in a variety of tunings and for a variety of reasons.
    Many of which I could assume the anti capo crowd would also consider "cheating" as well, but that is of no concern to me.
    For example, I use C9 a good bit. Low to high CGCGCD. You may know it as the Zep Rain Song tuning. I like low tunings such as this, and I really like them when we capo back up and put the guitar back in a register closer to standard.
    Why? Because it sounds good to me. The sound of a short scale loose string can be quite different to the sound of a longer very taught string. Ymmv but I find it a compelling sound and good tool to have for certain tunes. It's another color and tha's a plus imo.
    Here is cgcgcd capoed at 5 iirc.
    I wish you could hear it in person.
    Why do you keep bringing up the fictional "anti capo crowd"? Anyhow, I agree with your point and if you read closely you can see that I did, TWICE. I'm really not interested in a lecture from someone so defensive.

User Info Menu

Why do you keep bringing up the fictional "anti capo crowd"? Anyhow, I agree with your point and if you read closely you can see that I did, TWICE. I'm really not interested in a lecture from someone so defensive.
    It's not a lecture. It's a response to YOUR request.

User Info Menu

I call them capo users.
    I'll go along with that. The only time a capo is justified is if you need a song in a different key for a singer and you're trying to get that sound that results from open string chords like you're trying to duplicate an arrangement you got off a recording. Otherwise you should know how to play songs in all 12 keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Although Glenn Cambell used a capo way back when on a Righteous Brothers Song "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling " to great advantage. And Glenn was one of the most Natural Born great guitarists ever!
    It's possible he was trying to get a particular sound you can't get any other way.

User Info Menu

Literally the whole of Nashville: am I a joke to you?

It's very possible that you need the open strings to ring to keep a particular sound going. Without the capo, it may not sound like that in a Blue Grass setting especially when you're well away from the nut.

User Info Menu

Well, it DOES make a difference.

The bluegrass players wouldn't sound the same if they were using moveable shapes.
    You nailed it. I told you you had your head screwed on straight.

Tony Rice is a good example of a Professinal Guitarist who has studied and continues a path forward. Clarence White before him and Bryan Sutton currently are also great examples of true guitar heroes in my book!

User Info Menu

Now we're getting to the crux of the matter. It's not so much capo hate specifically but it's more of specific capo users that bring out a hate in me. I have a few former high school guitar playing friends that I unfriended on Facebook for a number reasons, #1 because they turned into egotistical jerks and 2 because their playing hasn't evolved since high school and they think they're experts. Now I'm not what I consider a great guitarist but my playing has evolved even with songs I played as a beginner like Beatle songs, Gerry and the Pacemakers and a lot of 50s tunes. These guys play long stretches of chords not because the song calls for it, but because they know one or two inversions and no extensions to vary the sound and give the song some life. A friend of mine I was stationed with about 20 years ago saw me in my office practicing on a Byrdland. He looked at it and said "you know I hate that damn guitar. It sounds like they only play 'jing a jing a jing' and it drives me nuts." I said listen to this and I played a chord melody version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. His eyes got wide open and said "Now that's way different". He went home and the next day, he came in with an old 1940s Sears Silvertone archtop and asked me to teach him how to play like I did. I understood completely where his head was at. It was about truly learning an instrument so you can play the music you want and not what the guitar wants. My former friends are putting out folk singing CDs and patting each other on the backs saying crap like "Oh your guitar playing is on the virtuoso level" or "You're the best guitarist I've ever heard". What a load of garbage since their playing doesn't go past an early intermediate level, while on here, I see a large number of players like you guys doing stuff I never heard before and I've been playing over 50 years and most of those "friends" have played longer than me. I'm here knocking my brains out to learn that instrument and improve myself while these guys are making loads of cash being full of crap. I think this is what we're all talking about when it comes to our beloved instruments and where we want to go. Sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. Thanks for the rant.

BINGO, We have a winner! Above post sums it up beautifully. Even when I was in my 20s working 5 to 7 nights a week. I never lost place of where I was in relation to my instrument. And if I did it sure didn't take long to hear or play with more mature players that would hand me my ass! And they were very kind about it.

It infuriates me with the advent of technology, anyone thinks there are shortcuts to actual mastery of any vocation. Sure a CNC machine can cut a wood body for a luthier. But a player piano program does not make Oscar Peterson.

Also the fact that music has been so dumbed down for the sake of just fame and fortune. And that many musicians accept that it's great Music. WTF? I always knew what Pop was about ,$$$$ At least when it was left to actual musicians to make it, it had way more musicality.

Rant Over!

User Info Menu

I think I just know a lot of actually good guitar players

User Info Menu

I've avoided weighing in on the capo issue up to now.

When I was a teenager interested in jazz, I thought capos were for people who hadn't mastered barre chords and I looked down on capos.

Now, I understand that what matters is how the music sounds. The capo is a tool for getting specific sounds. I don't even care if there's a harder way to get the same sound (and often, there isn't). It's equivalent to every other technique for getting a particular sound.

It's not about some limitation in the player's knowledge -- although there may be situations in which that's the case. In the hands of a good player, it's all about getting a particular sound. I am aware of many things that just can't be done without a capo. Why throw those things away?

Full disclosure: I've never used one. But, that's because I find it confusing. Not a joke.

User Info Menu

Yeah. There is no cheating in music.

User Info Menu

I don't use a capo. I don't really play music that needs it. But I can see how another player might want it for open, ringing strings while not playing in E, A, D, or G.

I've got a bud who does a fantastic version of Springsteen's "Born to Run", solo acoustic with a capo up the neck, that is one of my favorite covers of all time. I don't think of it as "cheating" after hearing Norm do what he does. Norm can't do what I do, either. It's all good, because I'm more interested in the songs and how they sound and feel than I am with what technique you use (or don't use!) to get them where you want.

User Info Menu

Yeah. There is no cheating in music.
    Or crying. It's like baseball.

I think one crucial component due to the IPhone and YouTube revolution. There are some amateurs that are great at self promotion. And that was something growing up in the 1970's we never had,and actually was glad of.

I hear how great this new era is of freedom for musicians. What it really is ,is the gates keeping most of the hacks out of the business are now broken.
    You no longer need studio musicians,arrangers, producers, promoters,etc. And studio time is basically free! OH JOY!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I think one crucial component due to the IPhone and YouTube revolution. There are some amateurs that are great at self promotion. And that was something growing up in the 1970's we never had,and actually was glad of.

I hear how great this new era is of freedom for musicians. What it really is ,is the gates keeping most of the hacks out of the business are now broken.
    You no longer need studio musicians,arrangers, producers, promoters,etc. And studio time is basically free! OH JOY!
    You hit on exactly what I was talking about. That's why it happens. The gates aren't keeping out the hacks and they're getting away with all the stuff we've tried to get out of our technique. Now I don't begrudge these guys anything specifically for myself but I see a lot of players out there who are incredible and they're not making a cent. I wonder if people really care whether or not we know our instruments.

Dick Clark famously said in the Wrecking Crew movie" People don't care how the music is actually made. But the problem is if you try that in any other field, good luck with that!