The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hii.

This is simply an observation on Lee Morgan's use of the augmented triad on some F7 dominant chords, in his solo on Ceora.

On this pretty Bossa tune, Lee Morgan starts his solo around the 2 minute mark.
    I noticed his use of a particular sound on some chords. This sound turned out to be the augmented fifth.
    He uses this 3 times in total. I found this sound to be unique, or maybe that just means that I need to listen to more jazz.

The first use of the augmented triad is at the 2:15 minute mark. The second around 2:30. The third is around 2:45
    Lee Morgan's use of the augmented triad on Ceora-img_20200401_172502106-jpg Lee Morgan's use of the augmented triad on Ceora-img_20200401_172516189-jpg Lee Morgan's use of the augmented triad on Ceora-img_20200401_172527520-jpg
    The tune is in Ab. Keep in mind, even though this is a trumpet solo, I transcribed it in concert C.

What do you think of this?
    Maybe you think it's a common idea of no real outstanding importance. Maybe you'll school me and say it's actually a b13. Do you even care?

I think it's a creative way to use a simple triad on a dominant chord to make it sound (dare-i-say) "out" or more complex than it actually is.
    I'm starting to implement it in my playing by using it in every dominant chord for a while. I hope then that it'll come out in my playing; That my ear hears it's possibility in an improvisation and opt for it.

That's it from me!
    Please feel free to link any other instances of this idea if it catches your ear on any other song.
    Last edited by SONNY MOORE; 04-01-2020 at 02:35 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Garrison Fewell points out in his book "Jazz Improvisation For Guitar - A Melodic Approach" that Lee Morgan was partial to this approach. Sounds good doesn't it?

User Info Menu

This falls under the Jazz Theory (Levine) chapter on Upper Structure Triads on Dominant 7th chords. There’s around a dozen of them. I use about five, since they become so similar.

The Db+/F7 is Upper Structure Triad bVI +
    which occurs across the symmetrical augmented scale triads. Thus it works on six out (F7, G7, A7, etc.) of the 12 dominants.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    This falls under the Jazz Theory (Levine) chapter on Upper Structure Triads on Dominant 7th chords. There’s around a dozen of them. I use about five, since they become so similar.

which occurs across the symmetrical augmented scale triads. Thus it works on six out (F7, G7, A7, etc.) of the 12 dominants.
    Hmmm... Interesting. Thanks for the clarification!

User Info Menu

Faaaaakin harmonic minor m8

User Info Menu

By the way the aug triad on the V7 of the major key for me is the sound of 1920s and 30s jazz. It has the benefit of having the b3 in the major key.... So the blue note.... See also the common tone cadential dim....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop

So does Morgan continue with this against other dominant seventh chords? The A section has a string of them, going up and down by whole tones. Morgan could have just gone to town on the whole tone scale

AbMaj7 | Eb7 | AbMaj7 | Ab7 |
    DbMaj7 | G7 | F7 | F7 |
    Eb7 | Eb7 | F7 | F7 |
    G7 | G7 | F7 | Eb7 ||

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    So does Morgan continue with this against other dominant seventh chords?
    Well, now that you mention it, he also uses this idea towards the end of his solo on Eb7 (3:00). Although not chained together through the repetitive 2-5's. He also sticks an F in there, which eludes to a whole-tonish sound (B G F D Eb).
    Last edited by SONNY MOORE; 04-02-2020 at 04:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    By the way the aug triad on the V7 of the major key for me is the sound of 1920s and 30s jazz.
    OHH. Just watched your Pre War Jazz soloing video where you mention this very thing. Very cool stuff!
    Def stealing some lines!