The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Goofing around, I made up this chord:

130202 (F C D A B Gb)

I like the repeated intervals (P5 M2 P5 M2 P5) and that fact that the Gb over F is far enough apart it sounds bright, rather than grating, to my ear.

If I want to turn that into a 7 note scale, a Eb seems the better choice (Enat -- F -- Gb sounds crowded in) and that gives me:

F Gb A B C D Eb --- that spells F Mixolydian b9 #11.

I googled and didn't find a hit. As far as making lines over F7 I like the diminished triads B-D-F and C-Eb-Gb.

Comments? Is this a thing, or just a variation on a more familiar scale (Lydian dominant)? I like that fact that it's not a mode of any major or minor scale, so it is its own beast.

Unless anyone claims it, I christen thee The Big Daddy Love Handles Scale.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s the diminished scale with the Ab missing.
    F Gb Ab A B C D Eb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    It’s the diminished scale with the Ab missing.
    F Gb Ab A B C D Eb
    Fame and glory, so fleeting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Goofing around, I made up this chord:

130202 (F C D A B Gb)

I like the repeated intervals (P5 M2 P5 M2 P5) and that fact that the Gb over F is far enough apart it sounds bright, rather than grating, to my ear.

If I want to turn that into a 7 note scale, a Eb seems the better choice (Enat -- F -- Gb sounds crowded in) and that gives me:

F Gb A B C D Eb --- that spells F Mixolydian b9 #11.

I googled and didn't find a hit. As far as making lines over F7 I like the diminished triads B-D-F and C-Eb-Gb.

Comments? Is this a thing, or just a variation on a more familiar scale (Lydian dominant)? I like that fact that it's not a mode of any major or minor scale, so it is its own beast.

Unless anyone claims it, I christen thee The Big Daddy Love Handles Scale.
    F Romanian Major is another name for it.

User Info Menu

On piano Mark Levine calls it the "Herbie Hancock" upper structure triad, #iv- or B-/F7. They all use it, Barry Harris plays it a lot too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    On piano Mark Levine calls it the "Herbie Hancock" upper structure triad, #iv- or B-/F7. They all use it, Barry Harris plays it a lot too.
    yes I suppose they do.

tbh I never heard it as an upper structure of anything. More like voice leading -

so you have
    Em7 A7 Dm7

and you play
    Em7 Ebm7 Dm7

but then I suppose I don’t really believe dominant chords have an independent existence outside of voice leading. Wayne shorter might convince me otherwise, but most non functional harmony is dominated (boom ching) by sus chords and various types of major and minors...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    but then I suppose I don’t really believe dominant chords have an independent existence outside of voice leading. Wayne shorter might convince me otherwise, but most non functional harmony is dominated (boom ching) by sus chords and various types of major and minors...
    C7sus4 = Bb6 = Gm7 going to C7 --- looks pretty "functional" to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    C7sus4 = Bb6 = Gm7 going to C7 --- looks pretty "functional" to me!
    You wot mate?

User Info Menu

Yea... rintincop's direction is more in the jazz direction. Think of using Dim and MM. And creating voicings using upper structure voicings. Generally for Dom. Chords. and use tritone sub organization or use of inverting the 3rd and b7.

Like using Subs.... 7th#11 chords and Alter chords. And because, again with skills you can sub voicings from any MM Diatonic derived chord...and same with Dim. (half step/ whole step) derived chords... no avoid notes. So with some skills.... you can interchange chords from Dim and also with MM within themselves... You have Chord groups or styles with interchangeable voicings from. There's more... you get into chord movements in min. 3rds along with this expanded use of Functional substitutions... two layers of harmonic chord patterns. and Mark's piano book gives great examples etc.. I use gig with Mark, eventually you can hear what and where a tune is going, Just like hearing blues changes. But you do need to get the basics down first.

User Info Menu

The first one is your scale. The second is the F H-W dim. I think I prefer your one but it may depend on the tune.