The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 95 of 95

User Info Menu

Out now in the US, along with a cool animated video for the tune 'Casio Vanguard'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's definitely growing on me, but I am a big Kurt fan. If I was asked to choose whether he should have vocals or not...I would prefer not, but...I am not asked, so...I'll just be happy about new music from a giant and groove on the playing.

Jkniff26 Guest
    I saw the show last night in Philly . I like the live performances better than the studio recordings., but hearing it live made the album grab me more.
    This band really grooves and Pedro is a nut job of a talent. He played guitar on most tunes and switched between that and his cheap looking little keyboard. Kurt gave him quite a few solos and he can really play. Big Kurt influence , but with this raw little edge that makes him stand out on his own. His rhythm is really in the pocket and i love the little rhythmic lines he spins into his solos. He may want to ditch the Kurt Cobain look with the baggy sweats , tattered sneakers and uncombed hair ,but ok yea whatever , the kid is like a little bratty Picasso type.
    Olivia Trummer is the pianist-vocalist-keyboard player. She is the best singer of the three but Pedro and Kurt sound good. Pretty damn ballsy of Kurt to sing up front and I personally loved it. Olivia I believe is German. Her Melodic and sparse Piano playing compliment the good feeling rhythm of the band. It's not like a typical jazz show at all. I mean you can't sit still ,the music really sways and hits you in the gut.
    The rhythm section is a fine tuned machine. Bass is handled by Frederico Heliodora. He's playing electric bass in a straightforward groovin with the drummer style. He really anchors the whole band and makes it clear just how much more straightforward this music is than previous Kurt records. Sure the harmonies are loaded with subtle complexities , but that driving rhythm anchored by Frederico is just so Hypnotic. Hey I like groove music so this was just all real pleasing to me. Bill Campbell on drums and Antonio Laureiro on percussion are in sync and play as one person . They sound to me like they would be at home with Santana or the Allman Brothers, but they definitely are helping bring a solid backbone to Kurt's vision. I was mesmerized by their sound together and really focused more on them more than anything else. Bill is another who needs a new pair of shoes ,a comb and a pair of pants , but hey he plays great. Maybe put a hat up there and everyone pitch in for these guys. Olivia is fine ,but the boys look like vagabonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I hope there are tracks without mumbling, er, singing.

Jkniff26 Guest
    I listened a bit more to the album and I do like it. That said I really thought the live versions I heard were 10 times better. It's a great band. I do Love that drummer Bill. Pedro is amazing. He and Kurt had what looked like identical twin reverbs. Kurt gave him a solo and I was like wtf that kid is great. Then he kept playing more solos. He seems to be quite a formative improviser.

User Info Menu

Haven't heard the record but he's playing the Showcase all week. (I saw him there with his standards trio and KILLED it, absolutely killed it). Thought about going. Then I got this review from my friend about last night's show:

"he performed exclusively from the new album. He sang way more than he played single note guitar leads. He strummed six string block chords. The repertoire sounded like some kind of over-produced revisionist rock-Latin-Portuguese melange informed by the latinesque songs Pat Methany used to do, like a Phil Spector world music disc for ECM - interplanetary resort band music? At the end of the second set he played the longest of his three "extended" solos, which lasted under three minutes. Although I heard audience members complimenting the band, to my ear the other musicians are not of the caliber one would expect to be playing with him. Haven't heard the album, worth noting this is not the band on the album."

User Info Menu

Well here's the one live clip of the Caipi band that's out there. I think the band sounds great and hear the 'Caipi' material live in the UK one day.

Though Kurt plays almost all of the parts on the album, Pedro Martin's voice is a major contribution.

Jkniff26 Guest
    He has had so much praise , in fact the only slags I ever heard were haters who didn't like the effects, stuff like that. So I guess he just does whatever he wants now. No the band is not superhuman like those killers he usually plays with, but they are soulful, super talented , and full of charm. I didn't get the resort thing at all. In fact Pedro sounded pretty raw and edgy to me. It was all more "garagey" for me than "resortish"

User Info Menu

I love Kurt but...

I listened to "Caipi" quite a few times and it hasn't grown on me. Sometimes it even gets on my nerves - for my taste some tunes are a little over-produced there's too much going on. And Kurt's singing, well...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Disappointed. What's the name of that Zappa album, Shut up and play yer guitar?

User Info Menu

Wow, I'd say I'm a hardcore Kurt fan and I really like Caipi, but that video.... Two men, a guitar and a model... well, yikes

User Info Menu

The thing to remember is he likes it and heard internally. I'm glad he stayed true to his vision. After listening to the album a few times my take is I don't love or hate it. I think its cool for what it is. I think one should be true to all their inspirations and Kurt was vulnerable for this project. Good for him!

Hey guys. Wanted to share, I posted a lesson series analyzing Kurt Rosenwinkel's Star of Jupiter album and how the songs function harmonically.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. I want to learn a few more Kurt songs so this will probably come in handy when I’ve looked at them, and will offer my thoughts on his writing.

under it all is mega. I like it when he writes big tunes.

User Info Menu

New Kurt recording - Angels Around

Interesting - great playing by all involved.

Of note, there's a version of Time Remembered that sounds like it's by the Jefferson Airplane. And I mean that in a positive way. LOL.

Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio – Angels Around | Heartcore Records

User Info Menu

loving this album

User Info Menu

I have been getting more into Rosenwinkel.

I have to say that this project he is involved in did not really deliver the goods for me. Listened to the album Eyes To The Future Vol. 1 and found it quite meh. I got distinct 80s/90s Pat Metheny Group vibes from this, and I actually dig PMG from time to time.

However, the few vids from this gig have been in powerplay at home. Absolutely fantastic:

User Info Menu

This is a thing of beauty, one of my favourite Kurt tunes: