The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

could someone help me out I can't figure out how this triplet bar fits in . I'm so frustrated. two beats on the first four eighth notes and the other two beats for the two groups of sixteenth notes. so where does that triplet fit in? any help ? would be much appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images funny triplet question-untitled-1-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Misprint if it's not 5/4.

cheers thanks

User Info Menu

As Matt said, it's a misprint.

The whole second half of the bar is a triplet (the B at the end is my idea) -

funny triplet question-untitled-jpg

Sounds like this:

User Info Menu

Other funny things here, too.

The second line has a lonely "4" below the G-clef; so perhaps suggesting that matt.guitarteacher might be right - that maybe all that was rendered in this image of an original 5/4 mark was the 4.

The first note in the second line (accidental Eb) kind of gives the second line the momentary look of a key change from F to Bb because of the type set spacing.

Perhaps most confusing is the peculiar accidental use.

After this first accidental Eb is another marked accidental Eb an octave below within the same measure. This is consistent with wanting to indicate that this second E an octave away (despite within the same measure) requires its own accidental if meant to sound as Eb.

So far so good, but then there are the two accidental marked Gb sharing the same line within the same measure, the second G not requiring an accidental mark to indicate its pitch as Gb.

Then there is the treatment of the four C notes where the first three share the same staff line and measure, with the third C taking the accidental mark to sound Cb, but a little later within the same measure the fourth C an octave below (which requires no accidental to be interpreted properly as natural) is marked with a natural.

edit -just saw the correction and TAB... I don't know TAB but it looks like from the modifications of the accidentals in the corresponding notation above the TAB that it has lost its key signature or the song in F has been rendered in the C major key signature...??

User Info Menu

The second line has a lonely "4" below the G-clef; so perhaps suggesting that matt.guitarteacher might be right - that maybe all that was rendered in this image of an original 5/4 mark was the 4.
    That's bar 4!

(Power Tab doesn't necessarily display sharps as flats in flat keys. An F key sig displayed too many sharp signs so I removed it. It also didn't put a natural sign in front of the last B. There's a reason for everything)

funny triplet question-untitled-2-jpg

Pay no attention to the fingering either.

(edit)

If you want another mistake in that score, the circled 3 in the upper section refers to the playing position. But the chord is an Am7 (A E G C). It can only be played open or at the 5th. But playing it at the 5th means breaking the barre chord to get the line, which sounds clumsy. Personally I'd play it open so it follows naturally, even though the next bar starts on the Bb, 6th position. That one's right.

It's a lousy score. God knows what else is wrong.
    Last edited by ragman1; 10-14-2019 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That's bar 4!
    Oh, of course!

User Info Menu

The Martians are coming any day too

User Info Menu

The Martians are coming any day too
    You're suggesting we learn "Indian Love Call"? Where's my slide...?

cheers guys

User Info Menu

Tassos -

What is this awful score? What's the tune? Who is responsible for this outrage?

Seriously, one has to wonder what other errors there are on it. Re. the triplet thing, I suspect the score program doesn't do irregular groupings so it just did the standard 3-note one. But that's no excuse, of course.

Writing position fingerings in a circle is the old way of doing it, at least as far as I remember. Classical guitar music was written that way. Except that here it's the wrong number!

However, I expect you'll ask if you want something else.

User Info Menu

A number in a circle usually indicates the string, not the position, in classical guitar music.

Positions are usually given as Roman numerals.

User Info Menu

Do they? You're probably right, I've forgotten, it's been so long :-)

But the 3 is still nonsense. The 6 over the Bb works because it could also be played 1st/ 5th.

(Uncircled numbers are fingers, I remember now. Or p-i-m-a.

I thought positions were Roman numerals too (like VI-------) or they just wrote VIth pos or something).

User Info Menu

Yes, here we go -

funny triplet question-screen-shot-2012-09-09-10-34-05-pm-png

User Info Menu

I thought it was goin to be this funny triplet.

so here it is.. it's by Barry Galbraith '42 chord melody arrangments'
    Attached Images Attached Images funny triplet question-untitled-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Tassos - great, thanks!

Well, okay, there it is. I think you've just got to find the notes and play it as you feel it. If the directions on the score look strange, or don't work, just bear in mind it may be a mistake.

Vladan's recording sounds pretty good. It's actually a nice arrangement.

There is a site with BG's hand-written solos on it. Here's AINY:

funny triplet question-autmninny1-jpg

Barrry Galbraith Chord Melodies Memorial Site

He's just put '3' in front of the phrase... so I guess he's off the hook. But the circled 3 doesn't make sense to me. But there it is...

User Info Menu

It looks like it’s an attempt to render a rubato passage, i.e. that bar has a run not played in strict time. It would help if the score said ‘rubato’ at that point perhaps!

User Info Menu

You're right, I've transcribed it wrongly. Whoops. I think the Power Tab thing probably cut out some notes automatically to fit the bar and I didn't realise.

I've no time now, I'll have a better look later. I need to get this!

User Info Menu

Vladan's recording sounds pretty good. It's actually a nice arrangement.
    For the sake of avoiding confusion and wrong impression, it is not my recording, it is not me playing and while arrangement might be nice, I can not tell if it really is. Generally, I very much dislike the "style".

User Info Menu

the circled 3 doesn't make sense to me. But there it is...
    It means play the top note (C) of the chord on the 3rd string. You can see him doing it in the video, using a barre at the 5th fret for that Amin7 chord.

Do we want to speculate on what the "correct" version would actually be?

... I think the first four notes in that measure should be sixteenths instead of eighths.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It means play the top note (C) of the chord on the 3rd string. You can see him doing it in the video, using a barre at the 5th fret for that Amin7 chord.
    Quite right. I was still thinking in terms of positions. Thank god someone's on the ball! Thanks, again, Graham. I'm obviously having a strange ten minutes.

Now I think the 3 (on the supposed triplet, not the circled one) is fingering. Tomorrow, who knows?

Tassos - forget me, I'm talking drivel

User Info Menu

Tassos -

Okay, tomorrow is certainly another day and I apologise if I contributed to the farce of yesterday. I expect you're thoroughly fed up with all this. I'm actually not bad at this stuff so I don't quite know what happened. Internet, I suppose.

Anyway, the bottom line is this:

There is no triplet, never was. It doesn't correspond with BG's own handwritten score and I assume it was put in by the publisher's interpreter.

The 3 is a fingering notation. After playing the Ab7b5, if you start with your third finger on the C, 5th fret, your fingers are nicely lined up to go down the Db major scale as written. Bingo.

So the bar in question just contains one of those connecting lines that one finds in jazz chord melodies. It's 4/4. The first 2 beats are as written, followed by the third one, then the line down to the G9.

BG himself hasn't bothered trying to make it fit the bar in terms of exact note value, it's just there. I suppose he could have altered the time sig for that bar, or made some other notation on it, but it's probably not worth it. We just fit it in. The player on the vid that Vladan posted does it admirably. But I do admit it must be confusing for someone not prepared for it.

So I guess that's the mystery solved. I still don't like the circled 3 over that C, it's confusing. He should have put V-----, indicating a barre at the 5th fret.

But it does make one distrust the rest of the score and maybe all the others in the book, unfortunately. I think you've got to just to trust your ear, hope at least the notes as written are right, check it with the handwritten versions (on that site), and listen to what other players are doing on YouTube. And other versions, of course; it certainly helps to know the song.

There's one other point I'd make. The tune is 'Autumn In New York' and the tune starts with that line, verbally and musically. I noticed that all the players on YouTube kind of rush quickly over those notes.

It's all too fast and doesn't bring out the feel of the title so I'd play it a little more emphatically. I'd want to hear 'Aut-umn In New York' fairly clearly. It is the title, after all. Every time it's played, too.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. Hope this actually does help now. And I'm tempted to say come back and show us your master version! If you dare, that is :-)

Good luck.