Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

One-off as in "limited application to a single song". I make up chords and voicing to express harmony and typically have no idea what their names might be within those contexts, but almost always I find that one newly discovered transfers to the harmonies of numerous other songs... but there are a few that I have yet to find use in more than the one song where I originally discovered and applied it. Here is an example of that to which I'm referring...

In the twelfth measure of Stella By Starlight, the stock chord change is Bbm7 to Eb7, but I like to replace that with a measure of just 9 x 8 10 10 x. This is Db Bb F A. Context puts this chord (Db???) between the preceding Dm7 and the subsequent Fmaj7... so I play something like Dm7 or D7sus4 to Db??? to Fmaj7/C. A chord namer application wants to call this chord voicing Db augmented six (Db+6), but I find there are three versions of aug 6 (It., Fr., Ger.) and none of them seem to sound like this. Maybe it's a slash chord a la A???/Db or something?

Anyway, with that example so you know what I mean, the purpose of this thread is really to hear about other's "one-off" chords... what song employs it?, what's its harmonic context, etc.?, what do you call it?
    Last edited by pauln; 09-06-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can’t think of any examples off the top of my head, but your chord sounds like a Bbmin(maj7) to me, in that context.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Can’t think of any examples off the top of my head, but your chord sounds like a Bbmin(maj7) to me, in that context.
    Yes, thanks!

Bbmin(maj7)/Db
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Yes, thanks!

Bbmin(maj7)/Db
    = the 2nd chord of Bb melodic minor maybe ....
    ie C7susb9. (b9 on the bottom)

yeah makes sense to me
    cos the original ? written change. |Bb- Eb7| is a back door to the Fmaj

cool , amazing what I can learn on here
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    One-off as in "limited application to a single song". I make up chords and voicing to express harmony and typically have no idea what their names might be within those contexts, but almost always I find that one newly discovered transfers to the harmonies of numerous other songs... but there are a few that I have yet to find use in more than the one song where I originally discovered and applied it. Here is an example of that to which I'm referring...

In the twelfth measure of Stella By Starlight, the stock chord change is Bbm7 to Eb7, but I like to replace that with a measure of just 9 x 8 10 10 x. This is Db Bb F A. Context puts this chord (Db???) between the preceding Dm7 and the subsequent Fmaj7... so I play something like Dm7 or D7sus4 to Db??? to Fmaj7/C. A chord namer application wants to call this chord voicing Db augmented six (Db+6), but I find there are three versions of aug 6 (It., Fr., Ger.) and none of them seem to sound like this. Maybe it's a slash chord a la A???/Db or something?

Anyway, with that example so you know what I mean, the purpose of this thread is really to hear about other's "one-off" chords... what song employs it?, what's its harmonic context, etc.?, what do you call it?
    Nice voicing, Paul. I like to look for the min/maj7 in augmented chords when looking for function. It's often something from related minor (harm/Mel minor). Basically, any chord from Bb Melminor, but probably A7altered (or Bb harm minor), because of relationship to Dm before and after.

Good ears.

User Info Menu

Cminmaj7 (1 beat) INDIANA measure 10 I think...
    If you can distinguish between rehearsing and practicing...you're better than half way there!

User Info Menu

There are passing chords and specific chords created when adding melody notes to the written harmony. There are numerous examples of standards that contain occasional melody notes outside common chord symbols. Sometimes such derived chords make sense from a perspective of functional harmony, sometimes they don't. Harmony is moving in one direction, melody in another and they may cross at a dissonant junction and create tension; a chord that works in the particular context but not commonplace.

I use quite a few one-off chords that I associate with a particular song. Sometimes it's just about voicing/inversion and finger arrangement but once in a while it's an unusual chord name that in rare cases deserves to be highlighted in writing. Over time a one-off chord may find its way into my standard palette of chords and I expand my harmony vocabulary.