User Info Menu

From what I can review on the web, I have read that Quartals , according to wikipedia, are stacked fourths of either perfect, augmented or diminished fourths....such that the notes following a note are all of equal intervals apart. So for example in a perfect fourth quartal - you could stack 4 notes all of which are 2 1/2 semitones apart from the previous.

However, I also understand you can build a chord by stacking diatonic fourths, such that all the fourths are notes based in the scale via fourth scale degrees. In this case, the intervals may not be exactly the same from one note to the next.

My question is...are these harmonized diatonic chords based on 4th scale degrees of notes within the scale *also* called quartals? or something else?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I'm understanding your question correctly, yeah... it's all consider "quartal" harmony.

x7778x

That's just a bunch of stacked perfect 4ths. It could be used in a modal setting just sliding up and down through a tonal center, it could be used in a key it doesn't belong to to create tension and "outside" sound, it could be put above a low C note or A note to create A C6 or Asus or min11 sound. But it's all still quartal.

I'm not super familiar with seeing diminished 4ths in the chords, as that's going to sound like a major 3rd... but I suppose when applied in certain scales that might happen... I honestly don't use the approach THAT much myself to have stumbled onto that situation. Maybe others have.

Also worth noting that it's not ALWAYS stacked 4ths. Inverting those chords can give us something different.

For example if we look at just the top 3 notes of the voicing above...

xx778x

That's two P4s stacked on top of each other. But if we invert this and put that low A not up on top we get

xxx785

Now it's a P4 and a Major 2nd.

If we invert it by putting the top note on the bottom we get

x10.7.7xx

Now it's a major 2nd with a P4 on top.

I see 2nds as existing inside of the world of quartal as well because they do show up when we start inverting.

User Info Menu

Jordan's back again--look out. Jordan needs a theme song. The last theme song I tried to write was about Reg (it was positive), but that one flopped...

Anyway, I just got back to these Quartals. They are good, but they don't fit in a parking meter...

Argh... okay, so I came across this sound while harmonizing a scale with basic triads and replacing the 3rd for the 4th

in C majah:

xx10.10.12.x

three notes, but when you add a bass note:

x11.10.10.12.x

I dunno, they sound like a diminished chord for some reason...

Never noticed it before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Jordan's back again--look out. Jordan needs a theme song. The last theme song I tried to write was about Reg (it was positive), but that one flopped...

Anyway, I just got back to these Quartals. They are good, but they don't fit in a parking meter...
    Ba doom boom pssssshhhhhh
    Love it

Any chance Reg's theme got recorded and posted someone online? Love to hear it

User Info Menu

I'll have to scour the interwebs for it...

I just wrote lyrics.

Does that diminished sound hold water with you?