Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
    I'm writing a quiz type app. Setup the key, scale and one of its mode. Then it shows a 7th chord on that scale and asks its root note. And the other way round also.

chordQuiz

Diatonic scale was no problem.
    About melodic minor scale and it's modes - if going the classical way (same key notes as diatonic) we'd get double sharps and double flats very soon. This never happens in jazz and I'd rather keep the focus on jazz.
    If going the sensible way, what kind of system to use for the keys and notes? I checked a few examples and they have their differences.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    I'm writing a quiz type app. Setup the key, scale and one of its mode. Then it shows a 7th chord on that scale and asks its root note. And the other way round also.

chordQuiz

Diatonic scale was no problem.
    About melodic minor scale and it's modes - if going the classical way (same key notes as diatonic) we'd get double sharps and double flats very soon. This never happens in jazz and I'd rather keep the focus on jazz.
    If going the sensible way, what kind of system to use for the keys and notes? I checked a few examples and they have their differences.
    Yeah don't use relative minor for MM. Use parallel. Parallel minor keys shouldn't give problems for MM. Simply flat the the third of your major keys. You end up with Cb for key of Ab minor, Fb for Db minor, and Bbb for Gb minor. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

If you use RELATIVE minor keys, you start to get a lot of out-there enharmonics with MM. Use relative minor for HARMONIC minor, as a starting point.

You're never going to get altered-looking scales and chords by the way, unless you spell them that way specifically as a separate entity. It may be worth doing though. If you do, start with the same keys as you use for your V7 chords for relative minor (or altered scales off of the IIIalt7 off each major key), and you should get the most sensible base-line enharmonics for a starting point with altered. It's still going to be out-there on some though.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-05-2019 at 06:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Based on relative minor key:

C - Am - ABCDEF#G#
    F - Dm - DEFGABC#
    Bb - Gm - GABbCDEF#
    Eb - Cm - CDEbFGAB
    Ab - Fm - FGAbBbCDE
    Db - Bbm - BbCDbEbFGA
    Gb - Ebm - EbFGbAbBbCD
    Cb - Abm - AbBbCbDbEbFG

G - Em - EF#GABC#D#
    D - Bm - BC#DEF#G#A#
    A - F#m - F#G#ABC#D#E#
    E - C#m - C#D#EF#G#A#B#
    B - G#m - G#A#BC#D#E#F## ***
    F# - D#m - D#E#F#G#A#B#C## ***
    C# - A#m - A#B#C##D#E#F##G## ***

In this scenario, there is at least an enharmonic equivalent avoiding double accidentals on the flat side.

In a parallel minor approach:

C - Cm - CDEbFGAB
    F - Fm - FGAbBbCDE
    Bb - Bbm - BbCDbEbFGA
    Eb - Ebm - EbFGbAbBbCD
    Ab - Abm - AbBbCbDbEbFG
    Db - Dbm - DbEbFbGbAbBbC
    Gb - Gbm - GbAbBbbCbDbEbF ***
    Cb - Cbm - CbDbEbbFbGbAbBb ***

G - Gm - GABbCDEF#
    D - Dm - DEFGABC#
    A - Am - ABCDEF#G#
    E - Em - EF#GABC#D#
    B - Bm - BC#DEF#G#A#
    F# - F#m - F#G#ABC#D#E#
    C# - C#m - C#D#EF#G#A#B#

Again, there is at least an enharmonic equivalent avoiding double accidentals on the sharp side this time.

It don't get no prettier if you choose to address harmonic minor, harmonic major, diminished, whole tone,
    augmented scales, etc. The 7 letter system to address 12 notes has both strengths and weaknesses.
    Best scenario in my opinion is to choose the best enharmonically spelled version available
    and skate around the issue. Using a post tonal intervallic number system would avoid this issue
    but very few jazz musicians are likely to be conversant in such a rendering of this data.

Okidoki. I made it public.
    Went through the scales twice but gonna test for a week before removing the warning.

User Info Menu

Eman,

I finally checked out your Ear Training App's. I think you should revisit your own thread on your programs. I found some interesting stuff myself.

I've a long list of bugs and needed upgrades for those. But can't find the time to fix them. So, no revisit until they are "A+".