The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi all,
    I hope this is the right forum for this question...
    Does anyone know of examples of tritone substitutions in printed scores or lead sheets? (I'm doing a video presentation on augmented sixth chords and wanted to include an example from jazz.) Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

here's D7 going to Db. They are probably in most lead sheets in the "real book."
    Examples of tritone substitutions in music?-maxresdefault-jpg

User Info Menu

Well done, Joe. Presumably the OP means tritone subs which are actually written in by the composer, not ones that we might sub for ourselves.

I was racking my brains a bit, it has to be said. Satin Doll has the Db7 instead of G7, I think.

User Info Menu

Just for fun, I did a quick search for examples of tritone subs in “classical” music. I found this mention of Chopin's Prelude #8.
    Chopin's Prelude #8
    That’s not to suggest that Chopin thought of them as tritone subs, but perhaps they served a similar purpose in allowing some chromaticism in the melody?

User Info Menu

Oh, there's tons of it in classical music. The Wiki sites have quite a few examples.

Tritone - Wikipedia

Tritone substitution - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well done, Joe. Presumably the OP means tritone subs which are actually written in by the composer, not ones that we might sub for ourselves.

I was racking my brains a bit, it has to be said. Satin Doll has the Db7 instead of G7, I think.
    Oh okay, that's what i thought he meant by lead sheet. That D7(should be D9 imo) in bar 7 is almost mandatory as part of the tune. I don't think it's in the original though. I can barely hear anything else there.

User Info Menu

The Db7 (or Abm7/Db7) is in every sheet I've seen. What was the original?

We're talking about Satin Doll, bar 6, I assume.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    The Db7 (or Abm7/Db7) is in every sheet I've seen. What was the original?

We're talking about Satin Doll, bar 6, I assume.
    No I was talking about Body and soul. I do have the original for that, but don't have it for Satin Doll (yet. I collect it). I'll take a look, but I'm thinking it isn't a tritone sub

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    No I was talking about Body and soul. I do have the original for that, but don't have it for Satin Doll (yet. I collect it). I'll take a look, but I'm thinking it isn't a tritone sub
    Satin Doll? I'd say so. The Db7 comes after a D7 and before a C. Just where you'd put a G7 :-)

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll link my video about +6 vs tritone sub for anyone interested, when I'm done with it. (Those chords actually differ in both theory and practice.) It's dry theory for most, but some people like it.

User Info Menu

Girl from Impanema is another one that jumps on my mind when thinking about "composed" tritone-subs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    For Body and Soul and bar 2 I like using: Am7, D7b9 instead of an Ab chord (and I never liked the sound of D7 there).