Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

User Info Menu

Hi folks, while I play a bit of guitar I'm not a jazz guitarist, I play sax but I'm wondering how you folks would comp behind a solo with major/minor chords as in this section which is the first 8 bars of a bossa tune -

AmMaj / C+7(+9) / AmMaj / C+7(+9) / AmMaj / B+7(+9) / AmMaj / E+7

I'm interested in how you would voice the mMaj chords in particular. Play the G#? Since it shows up in the next aug chord, the C+7(+9). Or voice your comping more vaguely if I'm expressing that coherently?

These chords happen to be in Tenor key, sorry, so a concert Bb tune.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jazzereh; 03-14-2019 at 04:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Ralph

Did you mean C+7+9?

Probably I'd crunch through a few options, see what sounds best.

but maybe

x 0 6 5 0 0
    x 3 2 1 4 0
    x 0 6 5 0 0
    x 3 2 1 4 0
    x 0 6 5 0 0
    x 2 1 0 3 x
    x 0 6 5 0 0
    0 3 2 1 3 0

Might work well with a finger style pattern?

User Info Menu

Yes, sorry C+7(+9) is the correct notation. I've edited the original post.

Appreciate the response with the fingering but I'd have to go to my guitar and work through those fingerings you note. Any chance you can indicate if you would be playing the minor [C natural] and the Maj [G#] within those fingerings? And, would you likely play both in the same mMaj voicing or pick one or the other?

I'm curious to know, given that a soloist would be playing to this comping, if a guitarist would leave out one or the other and why. Given that the 3rd and 7th define the chord, this mMaj chord gives a very different sound to solo over.

User Info Menu

When in doubt, play shell voicings: just the 3rd and 7th, and leave the root and fifth for the bassist. So for Amin(Maj7), that's C and G#. A minor-major chord has the melodic minor, or jazz minor, sound:

A B C D E F# G# A

You can also comp Amin6 instead of Amin(Maj7). Same melodic minor sound.
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

I think it would be easier with more info. Tempo? What is the melody?

Written by a guitarist?

Was that a Brazilian chart (where the + can mean natural 7 rather than #5)?

Without that info, I'd note the following, in case it's not obvious.

Aminmaj7 is part of Amelmin, which has no avoid note. That means you could pick notes almost at random from that scale and use them in place of Aminmaj7. Some will work way better than others, but it gives some possibilities.

If the second chord is C7#5#9, you have some choices. One is thinking Dbmelmin and generating chords the same way. You have to decide which voicings work for the tune.

Generally speaking, stacking thirds to create chords from Mel Min results in Aminmaj7 Bsusb9 Cmaj7#5 etc. Or you can do it stacked fourths or some other way.

Mark Levine's Jazz Theory has a nice presentation of this idea. That's where I got it.

But, this is just general info. You have to figure out how to use it to make your tune sound good.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 03-14-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
    Hi folks, while I play a bit of guitar I'm not a jazz guitarist, I play sax but I'm wondering how you folks would comp behind a solo with major/minor chords as in this section which is the first 8 bars of a bossa tune -

AmMaj / C+7(+9) / AmMaj / C+7(+9) / AmMaj / B+7(+9) / AmMaj / E+7
    If you don't know voicings for these, start with m7b5 voicings which you already know. They're a common starting point for creating voicings for all these, especially if you're otherwise unfamiliar with voicings which might be viewed as Mel minor based.

So you could rewrite them as:
    F#m7b5 / Bbm7b5 / F#m7b5 /Bbm7b5
    F#m7b5 / Am7b5 / F#m7b5 / Dm7b5

So, those are m7b5 spelled from the 6th of a MinMaj7 chord...
    and m7b5 spelled from the b7 of altered Dom 7th chord...

Pick voicings between each with common tones etc

X X 7 9 7 8
    X X 7 9 7 10
    X X 7 9 7 7
    X X 7 9 7 8
    ==========
    X X 8 9 9 10
    X X 8 9 9 9
    X X 8 9 9 8
    X 9 8 9 9 X
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-15-2019 at 11:09 AM.