The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I already suggested that.

D69 and Bb diminished.

I think I'm going to give up. You'd argue that black was white. He never ONCE played Bb dim over the D69, not once. Even in the second teaser vid he doesn't do it.

What is WRONG with you!!!!! For god's sake, come on! I'm not being rude, it's just bonkers!

Attachment 60694
    What is wrong with me is that I made a mistake. I thought that Eb dom was a D69. Obviously, it makes more sense to play Bb dim over an Eb dom.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What Eb dom????? There's a D7alt (which is Eb MM) at the end of the second teaser. The chords are D69 - Bbo - Am7 - D7alt. There's no Eb dom!

You just like the way he plays. He's not doing anything clever at all. D for D, Bbo for Bbo, Am for Am, D alt for D7alt. That's it. He's just pretty good at playing it, is all.

In fact, it's so simple you could do it yourself. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    What Eb dom????? There's a D7alt (which is Eb MM) at the end of the second teaser. The chords are D69 - Bbo - Am7 - D7alt. There's no Eb dom!

You just like the way he plays, that's all. He's not doing anything clever at all. D for D, Bbo for Bbo, Am for Am, D alt for D7alt. That's it.
    starjasmine pointed out that the chord could be considered an Eb7#9. That made sense to me. Call it what you like.

Here's the quote.

However, the chord he's playing at 0:53 (which he identifies only as "this chord") is NOT D 6add9, which is where all the confusion arises. What he's actually playing is

Bb G Db Gb

You can think of this as Eb7#9 with the 5th in the root. (Eb7#9/Bb)
    Or as A7b9 with the b9 in the root. (Like the typical A13 shape with the sixth-string root note raised a half-step.)
    These are both altered dominants. They're tritone subs for each other.
    And the Bb WH dim scale works over both.

User Info Menu

I refuse point blank to start with that malarkey.

I don't 'consider' the given chord to be other than what it is. Why complicate your life and mess up your head? Play what it says, don't invent stuff that isn't there.

If you want to reharm the tune, of course, that's a different matter.

User Info Menu

If the question is whether, or why one can use that symmetrical scale over a major chord...Whatever mister Chico did or not, yes you can. As harmonic movement/dominant tension. To move in and out of. And it obviously requires a certain tempo. Staying on a long D# over D major will likely not sound that good.

The A HW will give you an A7 dominant tension. C# HW will give you a C#7 flavour (dominant to iii, which is pretty much just a first inversion of I maj7). Those two are the most common. Though less common, you can of course use the last HW too if you slide in and out of it in a good way There's a certain logic/chromaticism/tension/ambiguity to this symmetrical scale that makes it fit in many places.