Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 3 of 3

User Info Menu

The chords for those measures/bars are (in relation to the tonic chord) IV-7/bVII7|III-7/VI7|, right?

Would it be overthinking or too far-fetched if I thought about this progression as a backdoor cadence? (III-7 as a sub for Imaj7 and having tonic function)

Probably doesn't make much of a difference harmonically compared to seeing it just as a chromatic sequence of II/Vs but to me it seems to make a difference in phrasing and creating lines.

What do you think?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No it certainly would not IMO

I regard Am7 as an inversion of F anyway....

So you play

Bbm7 Eb7 | F/A D7 | Abm7 Db7 | Gm7 | C7 | F |

Which to me is coming from

Bbm6 | F/A | Abo7 | Gm7 | C7 | F

Which is a thing

BTW this backdoor progression does also come up in other types of Blues....

User Info Menu

Been busy so my apologies for my late reply. Thanks for chiming in Christian - much appreciated!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.