The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 246 of 246

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    The definition about is my own personal interpretation. If there is an non-controversial literature that defines chord-scale theory differently, please post. I'd be happy to read it.
    Sure man. Just check out the work of Barry Nettles who was the head honcho harmony professor guy at Berklee for a number of years. (link below). For the record, he refers to it as the "so-called CST". The current harmony folks at Berklee don't align 100% with Barry's theories (one told me) but they're still pretty darned close. Anyway, I think that if you'll read the book, and at minimum the preface and introduction, you'll see that it's just another term for Harmony and Theory, but targeted to jazz music. And just like traditional theory and harmony it applies to composition, arranging, and last but not least - improvisation.

But enough of that.

In large measure the problem with the CST title is - ignorant guitarists! We guitarists are some of the least capable when it comes to theory and harmony, both in classical and contemporary schools. Ironic isn't it? (Although vocalists have us beat on the dummy scale. I was both a guitar major and a classical vocal music major for a time).

In other words, when we electric guitarists "evolve" from playing blues and pentatonic stuff on pop, rock, and blues music to something more "progressive", we say - "hey man, what scale do I need to use for my doodle-farty solo when I encounter this chord?"

So we lay CST down in the same grease as our doodle farty approach to improvisation, then declare for ourselves that CST is defined as doodle farting with scales.

Not so.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 01-03-2020 at 10:16 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    You are right, but there may be a problem because that is what CSE gets through quite often. This is the widespread understanding that we see in the educational videos that teach jazz through cliches.

I basically share the appreciation of ragman1 #post937923 and Tal_175 response below yours

I speak of its use in tonal music, and the need to understand and hear the link between chords (harmony) and melody (improvisation), since very little improvisation is improvised from the melodic theme, like the ancient masters of classical jazz and Swing Era, and even Lester Young, Tal Farlow, Roy Haynes, etc.

From a pedagogical point of view, it is a very poor understanding of bebop improvisation, since the musicians of this period did not think in these terms, which is easy to verify with the transcriptions. The exception might be the whole and diminished scales, but the chromaticisms and notes outside the recommended chord scale are far from falling into these dogmatic categories.

So certainly, it is a mnemotechnical means, a shortcut or rather a detour for those who do not want to learn the fundamental logic of tonal harmony, with the degrees of chords, functional degrees in chord sequences (guide tones, voices leading). After all, it makes sense that when you think "dorian" for degree II in the tonality of C, you first think of note D, and what is the point if you want to highlight the third F or the seventh C, since they are indicated by the IIm7 chord?

I say that concerning myself, the conception that I have of jazz, its history, and improvisation on the guitar with the so called "CST" does not suit me, it is only my experience, not a new dogma. I have made my own theory, and I attach great importance to the intervals and permutations of melodic fragments of 3 or 4 notes. I no longer work any straight scales up or down or in regular intervals of thirds, fourths, etc. This only leads to cliches, because we always tend to replay what we have worked. I try to really improvise, that is to say never play the same thing twice

My intention is not to prevent anyone from using it, because by spending a while there you can achieve the same result, and as the Shadocks said in France: "Why look for a simple solution when you have a complicated solution?"
    But CST is harmony and theory based on jazz music, nothing more. And it is defined by its authors, not you, me, or internet crowd think.

And its NOT an improv course. It came from the harmony department at Berklee. Not the improv department, not the arranging and composition department, not the instrumental departments, not the audio engineering department.........

If you're in a scholarly mood, why not read it and find out what it is, as opposed to speculate as to what you think it is?

HARMONY 1 2 3 4 by Barrie Nettles

User Info Menu

I wrote that I knew CST, because I was also taught at the Paris School of Jazz in the 1980s (CIM) on principles inherited from Berklee. In more than 50 years of listening and writing about jazz history from all eras, and 40 years of jazz guitar, it seems to me that you can make your own experience, and share it without imposing it on anyone. That was just my modest testimony.

I think I will stop here, because this topic presents all facets of the question, so that everyone whatever their "level" can make up their own mind.

J'ai écrit que je connaissais la CST, parce qu'on me l'a enseignée aussi à l'Ecole de jazz de Paris dans les années 1980 (CIM), sur des principes hérités de Berklee. En plus de 50 ans d'écoute et d'écriture sur l'histoire du jazz de toutes les époques, et 40 ans de guitare de jazz, il me semble qu'on peut se faire sa propre expérience, et en faire part sans l'imposer à personne. Ce n'était que mon modeste témoignage.

Je pense m'arrêter ici, car ce topic présente toutes les facettes de la question, de sorte que chacun quel que soit son "niveau" puisse se faire sa propre idée.

OK, that's all fine - but - you did fall into that trap of describing CST as doodle-fart scale based improv starting on the root of each chord. In other words, after 40 years of study you described CST in the exact same fashion as "the evolving metal guitarist". No biggie, but it can confuse those who are less well educated.

Again - CST is a description of jazz harmony, and "copes with" complex chords and their use in both static tonal and highly modulating contexts. In other words, it helps one competently understand and create jazz music, not classical music. It doesn't tell an instrumentalist how to build phrases and motifs. Those topics are more fully addressed in composition, arranging and improv studies.

Have a good one.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 01-04-2020 at 01:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Again - CST is a description of jazz harmony, and "copes with" complex chords and their use in both static tonal and highly modulating contexts.
    I have the Berklee harmony book. I read several chapters of it very thoroughly. I still use it as my preferred harmony reference. Many of the chapters are dedicated to standard tonal harmony and the way it's commonly used in jazz tunes, both major and minor.

May be it's splitting hair but based on the book I wouldn't say CST is a description of jazz harmony. I'd say the book uses CST to describe the jazz harmony. A lot of the jazz harmony in the book is stylistic variations on the centuries old tonal harmony as seen in Jazz compositions.

CST is one theoretical device, it's not itself a theory. One can completely avoid CST still be able communicate the exact the content of the book.

FYI I'm not anti-CST. Over the years I warmed up to CST as a practical theoretical tool. Probably because I think I get it better now and that book has a lot to do with it.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-04-2020 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

The confusion is, people think of it as an aspect of jazz harmony. As if, they'll be missing out of some parts of the jazz harmony if they don't understand CST. In my view that's not true at least to the extend that Berklee's own jazz harmony book covers it. But again, I'll be happy to read an alternative view if it's worth paying attention to.

User Info Menu

Well I can't fully agee with your last two posts Tal.

When I say that, I am considering; (1) Nettles' own explanation for what CST is and how it differs from traditional harmony and analysis. (the authors of The Berklee Book of Jazz Harmony touch very lightly on "CST", as so named), and (2) the definition of "harmony" itself, and the extent of its implications. Is harmony just chord symbols and progressions?

It's probably most productive to avoid the term CST altogether and just study Jazz Harmony, Improvisation, Arranging, and Composition.

User Info Menu

I found this article, which may be of interest to someone. It explains a bit like me the reasons why I do not use the so called CST, as I think it was not used either in the great historical currents of jazz, nor by the great masters in every era, except, of course, in music explicitly modal, including in and out play

HOW THE CHORD-SCALE SYSTEM HAS FAILED YOU: 6 STEPS TO FREEDOM WITH SCALES AND MODES
    How Jazz Theory Has Failed You: Secrets to Scales and Modes • Jazz Advice

In general, no major jazz current comes from a theoretical system, and no grandmaster has applied a system. Maybe we can make exceptions with Lenny Tristano Line Up, George Russel's Lydian Concept of Tonal Organization 1953? Ornette Coleman's harmolodics?...

Jazz like all the arts, painting, poetry, theatre... evolves with strong personalities who upend norms and impose their styles against academicism, which are a caricature of the supposed rules that have served previously. Look how Impressionist painters were first banned in painting salons...

Now, from the moment jazz was taught in schools, generations of musicians were trained with certain rules, and many make them standards, fall into academicism, this enemy of art. How many have become great musicians? and how many have had to break these rules to become great musicians? The answer is in the question.

Jazz is not just about teachers' and students' problems, but in a forum of jazz guitarists, it is probably normal to find this first. I think it is very difficult to address these issues serenely in a forum of guitarists. It is a very special environment with strong ideologies. Perhaps I should not have intervened in that. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    I really think that you misunderstand CST my friend. And yeah, I get emails from those two guys too. So, what's the latest jazz improv "hack"? What are the latest 5 things that you need to do in the practice room, etc.?

Sigh. Everybody has to sell something I guess.

How about this? In one short paragraph - please define CST as you understand it, according to its authors.

User Info Menu

According to a good principle of self-moderation, you will understand (perhaps) that I think it is best not to answer you. You can even deduce that you are right, it will be perfect for me.

I wish the best to all those who use CST.
    It's not so much about me being "right" as it is seeking truth and accuracy on the topic, at least as far I understand it. Rather, I think that Nettles and his colleauges are "right" (to use your term), on their theory. They've taken all the slings and arrows about it, they might as well take some credit too.

"First seek to understand, then to be understood".

We internet guitarists really haven't done that with CST, have we?

User Info Menu

It's not an either or situation nor an ideology (theory). It's a broad stroke description, and it's subjective. It's looking at the forest rather than the trees. It simply describes a pool of notes that commonly fit over a particular chord quality. It's basics. I can't understand not wanting to be aware of it, nor arguing against being aware of it. It just is a fact of jazz being described. It's basics. It obviously is not giving advanced tips on melodic embellishment description or in other words about how to really make good melodies. It's just a crude road map to each chord's "pool of notes". Perhaps it's most useful on the piano where the scales are so much more logically visible and harmonically laid out in their piano black and white piano key geometry, far more so than on a guitar neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    It's not an either or situation nor an ideology (theory). It's a broad stroke description, and it's subjective. It's looking at the forest rather than the trees. It simply describes a pool of notes that commonly fit over a particular chord quality. It's basics. I can't understand not wanting to be aware of it, nor arguing against being aware of it. It just is a fact of jazz being described. It's basics. It obviously is not giving advanced tips on melodic embellishment description or in other words about how to really make good melodies. It's just a crude road map to each chord's "pool of notes". Perhaps it's most useful on the piano where the scales are so much more logically visible and harmonically laid out in their piano black and white piano key geometry, far more so than on a guitar neck.

I think it's basics too, and while not super deep when you look at the scale to chord matching in isolation, it still meets the standard for a theory, based on a dictionary definition of the term.

For example, there are options for scale choices in many cases, and there is a distinct approach beyond what one finds in traditional theory/harmony treatises.

One could call it a rule set, an approach, a map, a decoder ring or whatever the heck else they want to call it. Or, they could call it a theory. Again - it has answers and options for answers - for different scenarios.

User Info Menu

Sorry if I will offend someone, but in general, people bashing CST either are trying to sell something, or can not play (or both).

Matching scales to changes is the way I was taught and many others also. Unless you have incredible ears to actually play through changes without knowing scales it’s the best approach. And even if you had incredible ears you would probably end up with the same thing.
    To me the goal is to start with the theory then with time and experience incorporate your ears and extrapolate on the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

I've posted this vid a couple times in the last 10 years, so have others. Spend two hours with Doctor Burton and get the info from the horse's mouth.

User Info Menu

I approve ‘doodle farty’

right I’m off again

User Info Menu

Chord Scale Theory Critique (Not Mine :-))-dcbb1ff1-b52a-431e-b5f3-89f02f1024fa-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    You could play some arpeggios to get started, yep. But after you ran out of chord tones only, what other notes would you choose to play, and how would you choose them?

You start with substitutions. IMaj7, III-7 & VI-7 are Tonic chords, so they are interchangeable. Instead of having to think Ionian over the I, Phrygian over the III & Aeolian over the VI, simply see them as the same chord. Play a line over the IMaj7 based the III-7 or VI-7 arpeggios. Think of the Maj scale (Ionian) notes as your "white keys" and use chromatics as your "black keys" to connect the dots.

The same rationale applies with the II-7 & IVMaj7. They are Subdominant chords. Instead of thinking Dorian & Lydian, simply see them as the same chord. V7 & VII-7b5 and Dominant chords. Lather, rinse, repeat.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Key of C
    Tonic Chords: CMaj7 E-7 A-7 INTERCHANGEABLE because: CMaj7 C E G B (6/13, R, 3, 5 of the III chord. 3,5,7,9 of the VI chord) E-7 E G B D (3,5,7,9 of the I chord. 5,7,9,11 of the VI chord.) A-7 A C E G (6/13, R, 3, 5 of the I chord. 11, 6/13, R, 3 of the III chord.)

Sub Dominant Chords: D-7 & FMaj7 D-7 D,F,A,C (6/13, R,3,5 of the IV chord) FMaj7 F A C E (3,5,7,9 of the II chord.)

Dominant Chords: G7 & B-7b5 G7 G B D F (6/13 of the VII chord) B-7b5 B D F A (3,5,7,9 of the V chord)

Later, most discover things like playing the IV over the I gives you the 11, 6/13, R, 3 of the I chord and so on. There's more to this subject.

For some, thinking of everything as chords instead of "what mode goes with which chord" makes things easier to digest. Both systems have their merits and both are rooted in the same harmony when analyzed. Just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieBoy
    You start with substitutions. IMaj7, III-7 & VI-7 are Tonic chords, so they are interchangeable. Instead of having to think Ionian over the I, Phrygian over the III & Aeolian over the VI, simply see them as the same chord. Play a line over the IMaj7 based the III-7 or VI-7 arpeggios. Think of the Maj scale (Ionian) notes as your "white keys" and use chromatics as your "black keys" to connect the dots.

The same rationale applies with the II-7 & IVMaj7. They are Subdominant chords. Instead of thinking Dorian & Lydian, simply see them as the same chord. V7 & VII-7b5 and Dominant chords. Lather, rinse, repeat.

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Key of C
    Tonic Chords: CMaj7 E-7 A-7 INTERCHANGEABLE because: CMaj7 C E G B (6/13, R, 3, 5 of the III chord. 3,5,7,9 of the VI chord) E-7 E G B D (3,5,7,9 of the I chord. 5,7,9,11 of the VI chord.) A-7 A C E G (6/13, R, 3, 5 of the I chord. 11, 6/13, R, 3 of the III chord.)

Sub Dominant Chords: D-7 & FMaj7 D-7 D,F,A,C (6/13, R,3,5 of the IV chord) FMaj7 F A C E (3,5,7,9 of the II chord.)

Dominant Chords: G7 & B-7b5 G7 G B D F (6/13 of the VII chord) B-7b5 B D F A (3,5,7,9 of the V chord)

Later, most discover things like playing the IV over the I gives you the 11, 6/13, R, 3 of the I chord and so on. There's more to this subject.

For some, thinking of everything as chords instead of "what mode goes with which chord" makes things easier to digest. Both systems have their merits and both are rooted in the same harmony when analyzed. Just my 2 cents.
    Sure but that's pretty basic. Superimpositions and chord families. Dick Grove refered to those as "plural substitutes".

But again - CST lists options, with rational for those options. (Although the rationale is not always spelled out expansively).

So,
    What are all the chord scales that we can think of for secondary dominants?

What chord scale(s) can you think of for V7 or V9? Dick Grove listed 3.

What about a dominant 7 chord with a b5? Dick Grove listed 3.

What about a dominant 13 chord with a #11? Dick Grove listed 2.

What about V7(b9)? Is it 5 possibilities, or is it 4?

What about?:
    V+7
    V+7 (b9)
    V+7 (b9, #11)
    V7 (#9, b13)

And how many answers and explanations do traditional harmony texts provide for the above?

User Info Menu

Take the path of least resistance.

If a V7 goes to I - available tensions b9, #9, b5, b13 - play the Jazz Minor scale up a half step. Scale = b9,#9,3,b5,b13,7,1,b9

If a V7 doesn't resolve down a 5th (to I) - available tensions 9,#11, 13 - play the Jazz Minor scale from the 5th. Scale = 5,13,7,1,9,3,#11,5

You'll end-up covering everything and it doesn't require much thought.

User Info Menu

I notice that you have confined yourself to diatonic scales. And that's just fine.

So maybe John Mehegen didn't invent it after all. Maybe it wasn't Nettles, or Gary Burton, or Jerry Coker, or David Baker either. Maybe it's up to the individual.

Congratulations on defining your Chord Scale Theory.

User Info Menu

Jazz minor scale chronologically? Meaning the origin of the scale? I'm confused lol.

User Info Menu

As in, when did jazz started using the jazz minor as a teaching/conceptual device especially with respect to using it dominant chords?

Obviously the classical melodic minor descends differently. Bach uses the ascending form in descending runs a fair bit... But not like D melodic minor on G7, for instance. Usually he uses C minor...

I've tracked it down to Lennie Tristano, late 40s. If anyone's interested. There's probably some Tristano school guys about somewhere who I'd like to hear from.... but John Klopotowski's book is worth a look if you want to know how these melodic minor scales were taught by Warne Marsh (hey it's a great book to look at anyway), which is presumably similar... It's similar to the modern formulation in some ways, but also a bit different in others.

Basically, I reckon the modern jazz education paradigm is largely of Lennie's making, directly or indirectly. In the UK that might be even more so because the Jazz course at Leeds College of Music was I think part set up by Peter Ind (the wonderful Dave Cliff was one of the first alumni IIRC)... But in general he casts a long shadow everywhere, because his approach was quite 'scientific'/positivist (in the educational sense) and easy to quantify; so therefore useful for both creating a syllabus but equally as importantly justifying its academic value.

My suspicion is CST actually owes more to him than it does to George Russell or Mehegan, but there's probably a PhD in that lol....