The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 268

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis
    no
    Well if this is not a prank then my apologies. There have been in the past prank threads especially in this section.
    I was under the impression that you were further along in your general guitar and music background than that video would indicate. Most people have quite a bit of experience with guitar before they tackle jazz. It seems like you're not that comfortable with even the cowboy chords. Yet, you do have a very expensive guitar (Is that a Gibson L-00?). No judgement but it seemed suspicious.
    I guess you can start learning guitar with Jazz. It's not that absurd, but considering how basic your questions are, I can tell you, you're gonna have a million more questions each step of the way. Are you able to get a teacher in your area?
    Forum can be very useful in supplementing your training but in person lessons I think is necessary if you're serious.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    that's right A# is not in c major, and before that there's a G# which is also not in C. A song that is entirely in one key would be called diatonic, and I can't even think of a jazz standard that is like that. The notes outside of a key, in the context of that key, are what add interest. You need a key to give the outside notes context.
    So basically you can use notes outside a key sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Well if this is not a prank then my apologies. There have been in the past prank threads especially in this section.
    I was under the impression that you were further along in your general guitar background than that video would indicate. It seems like you're not that comfortable with even the cowboy chords. Yet, you do have a very expensive guitar (Is that a Gibson L-00?). No judgement but it seemed suspicious.
    I guess you can start learning guitar with Jazz. It's not that absurd, but considering how basic your questions are, I can tell you, you're gonna have a million more question each step of the way. Are you able to get a teacher in your area?
    Forum can be very useful in supplementing your training but in person lessons I think is necessary if you're serious.
    ohh no that guitar is not expensive... it is just a copy of a gibson es 339 I started playing guitar like 2 months ago so I am not so good. I could play d7 from before but the other chords in that video I learnt today. I don't think I can get a teacher tho..

User Info Menu

So basically you can use notes outside a key sometimes?
    right, in fact we doo it ALL the time. The art of jazz is being able to use them in a way that sounds good; there shouldn't be playing of any random note

right, in fact we doo it ALL the time. The art of jazz is being able to use them in a way that sounds good; there shouldn't be playing of any random note
    Okay thanks

try for autumn leaves

5x555x for aminor7

5x451x for D7

and your G chord looks good.

The A train tab is in C, I didn't check to see if it's accurate though.
    5x451x isnt that like a sick stretch??

User Info Menu

He probably meant 5x453x

User Info Menu

It was fret 3 on g string so that is a# a# is not in c major right?
    Ohh okay the chords I was using I learnt from a begginer course not begginer jazz course so yeah...
    Look at the Lessons link at the top of the forum menu - you need to learn the essential jazz chord shapes, they should be covered there (along with lots of other information).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    He probably meant 5x453x
    haha yes sorry guys

User Info Menu

haha yes sorry guys
    Ok good. So, it wasn't meant to be a sadistic joke to torture the OP. I wasn't sure
    On that note I might add your bread and butter Fmaj7 voicing x822x8

User Info Menu

it wasn't meant to be a sadistic joke to torture the OP
    Damn.

These are all the chords I Need to know atm right? Basic Jazz Chords | JustinGuitar.com scroll down to see the shapes.

User Info Menu

These are all the chords I Need to know atm right? Basic Jazz Chords | JustinGuitar.com scroll down to see the shapes.
    That'll probably be OK. Those A shape voicings are a bit lame though, especially the dominant (yuck)

But, the way I learned was shell voicings, 1 3 and 7

CMajor7

8 x 9 9 (8) x - note order root, 7th, 3rd, (5th)
    x 3 2 4 x x - note order: root, 3rd, 7th

Now for your basic assignment, work out 7, minor 7, m7b5 (trick question) from these fingerings.

The trick is to get good at working out chord shapes etc, not just learning them by rote.

Then learn Autumn Leaves and play using shell voicings.

User Info Menu

Well I would say before long you will also need to know some dominant altered shapes too, I don't think they are covered there. E.g. dom7#5 dom7b9 dom7#5b9 dom7#5#9 dom7#9 being some of the most common. In jazz tunes you will often encounter a ii-V7-I chord sequence e.g. Dm G7 Cmaj (when resolving to Cmaj for example). In this kind of sequence the G7 is often played as an 'altered' dominant, it sounds more 'jazzy'. Look at Autumn Leaves, the first 3 chords of the tune are a ii-V7-I sequence.

But check out the Lessons in this forum, they cover all these things.

User Info Menu

I know people who are learning guitar from Justin's videos. He seems like a really cool guy to learn guitar basics from. Going through all his basic courses is a very good idea. But for jazz ditch Justin. It seems like he himself is learning jazz basics as he is making the videos and his main audience is not jazz learners.
    For better online jazz lessons check out tutorials from this site as well as video lessons from Jens Larsen and our own Christian.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 03-05-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    That'll probably be OK. Those A shape voicings are a bit lame though, especially the dominant (yuck)

But, the way I learned was shell voicings, 1 3 and 7

CMajor7

8 x 9 9 (8) x - note order root, 7th, 3rd, (5th)
    x 3 2 4 x x - note order: root, 3rd, 7th

Now for your basic assignment, work out 7, minor 7, m7b5 (trick question) from these fingerings.

The trick is to get good at working out chord shapes etc, not just learning them by rote.

Then learn Autumn Leaves and play using shell voicings.
    Sorry I cant work out the chords you listed. I have NO Idea how you do it.

User Info Menu

Ok let's take a major third. In a reply to this post, write out a major third in tab for me, with the lower note on the A string.

User Info Menu

They are the fret numbers going from lowest pitch string (6th) to highest (1st).

So your standard basic E major chord would be:

0 2 2 1 0 0

0 = open string, x means don't play that string, so a basic C major chord could be x 3 2 0 1 0.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    They are the fret numbers going from lowest pitch string (6th) to highest (1st).

0 2 2 1 0 0

0 = open string, x means don't play that string, so a basic C major chord could be x 3 2 0 1 0.
    Thanks Graham, I didn't read that bit.

User Info Menu

I think Alex said (on another thread) that he is only 13, and has only been playing for 2 months.

I think Alex said (on another thread) that he is only 13, and has only been playing for 2 months.
    yup both of that is true. I am gonna play at a show in 3 weeks tho. I will only play power chords tho so will be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ok let's take a major third. In a reply to this post, write out a major third in tab for me, with the lower note on the A string.
    what I know about a major third is that it is 2 whole steps/4 half steps.

0 2 2 1 0 0

ohh yeah I know that.

User Info Menu

what I know about a major third is that it is 2 whole steps/4 half steps.
    that's right. now, how would you play both notes at the same time? of course you can't when they're on the same string, so you'll need to use 2 strings.

Here's a hint, the power chord you use is a 5th.

User Info Menu

yup both of that is true. I am gonna play at a show in 3 weeks tho. I will only play power chords tho so will be no problem.
    And people say gigs are drying out.