The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I would start by learning some jazz standards, some basic jazz skills such as chord construction, improvisation on chord tones and so on.

Otherwise you'll disappear down some Mick Goodrick rabbit hole and turn up 20 years later with a enormously long beard and an inability to communicate in anything but cuneform.

(I've seen it happen, it ain't pretty.)
    Hey look out there...

"The advancing Guitarist" Mick Goodrick HELP!-img_1863-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I knew it!

User Info Menu

There is much more useful information on this site for learning jazz.

I'd put the Goodrick book away.

Go here on this website: Free Jazz Guitar Lessons | Learn How To Play Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    There is much more useful information on this site for learning jazz.

I'd put the Goodrick book away.

Go here on this website: Free Jazz Guitar Lessons | Learn How To Play Jazz Guitar
    I'll go one further. Put away all the advice that limits your options and knowledge. Pick up your guitar and play.
    Once in a while, open your eyes but always keep your ears open.

David

User Info Menu

Also there is a great APP called irealpro..

Which you can play along to about 1300 standards and there are exercises of ii- V-I
    Cadences both modulating or Static and you can even reprogram your "own" chords etc.change tempos etc etc.

You can use it on your iphone Android ...or computer ...

You can loop sections of Tunes also- it is the most amazing App - especially for people who can already play the Guitar.

User Info Menu

I have some ibuprofen in my house, so I may start work on some of the ideas from that book again at some point...

Might seem woolly, but easy it is not.

User Info Menu

How to take measure of this book?

1. I think the book is a good companion to a method book(s), but not a mainline method unto itself.

2. It's valuable to the improvising and/or composing guitarist in particular.

3. It challenges you to learn the fretboard by forcing you to stand back and look at the instrument differently. In particular, the single string "unitar" thing forces you to visualize and play without relying on the typical fingering patterns and position playing. That will give you a headache.

4. It forces you to think out of the box (pun fully intended).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    How to take measure of this book?

1. I think the book is a good companion to a method book(s), but not a mainline method unto itself.
    Hehehehehe oh god no

2. It's valuable to the improvising and/or composing guitarist in particular.

3. It challenges you to learn the fretboard by forcing you to stand back and look at the instrument differently. In particular, the single string "unitar" thing forces you to visualize and play without relying on the typical fingering patterns and position playing. That will give you a headache.

4. It forces you to think out of the box (pun fully intended).
    YES

User Info Menu

Filippo,
    As David mentioned, always keep this book around - it's a lifetime of study!

Another book I recommend is from one of Mick's partners, Hal Crook; find his "Ready, Aim, Improvise!" and enjoy!

Ciao!