The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

My teacher and good friend, in NY, Chris is starting up his uTube channel.

He is well versed in Dr. Harris's harmonic and melodic methods having studied under BH since '93.

Chris is also very patient and open to suggestions on content and presentation.

It's worth a look and comments are welcomed.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What I’ve learned from Barry Harris is how you can teach jazz.

User Info Menu

What I’ve learned from Barry Harris is how you can play jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    What I’ve learned from Barry Harris is how you can play jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I’m not sure if I’ve got to that bit yet. Too busy teaching myself.

User Info Menu

I've watched a few of those videos and subscribed to his channel. Good stuff. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Haha I've been pestering this poor man with my silly questions since he started the series. These are all fantastic though, really solidified some concepts for me.

Seems a shame that he only gets a few hundred views per vid while "how to use pentatonic box #3" by some schmoe gets 100,000+ views. I know it's an arcane topic so of course it has limited audience, but you can really use BH's ideas in any genre, it's kinda changed how I look at scales and chords in general.

The half-step rules are one of the things I still find awkward to use in actual practice. The more I try the more it seems like something I was stumbling into anyway.

User Info Menu

Practice them until you don't have to think. Takes flipping ages but worth it.

User Info Menu

Yo, excellent post JustMac!

Quote Originally Posted by JustMac
    Haha I've been pestering this poor man with my silly questions since he started the series. These are all fantastic though, really solidified some concepts for me.
    When I was studying under Chris he was giving me these concepts far too soon for me to absorb. But, I kept my note books and recently using Alan Kingstone's well presented book have been spoon feeding the ideas back into my playing.

Seems a shame that he only gets a few hundred views per vid while "how to use pentatonic box #3" by some schmoe gets 100,000+ views. I know it's an arcane topic so of course it has limited audience, but you can really use BH's ideas in any genre, it's kinda changed how I look at scales and chords in general.
    Yeah, there are a lot of cowboys out there and I'm grateful for people like Dr. Harris, Chris and some posters here on this forum, for keeping these ideas alive and for steering me in the right direction.
    It should be obvious to any musician that one could go an extremely long way before exhausting all the permutations suggested by BH methods which would probably leave the super-locrian-dominant-phygian scale on the back burner for a bit.

The half-step rules are one of the things I still find awkward to use in actual practice. The more I try the more it seems like something I was stumbling into anyway.
    It's that "synthetic scale" with the created half steps between the triads and chords down that has me woodshedding for weeks now.

I've got a few hundred questions for Chris too, but I need to get everything he's giving over now ingrained and then I'll go for a Skype lesson.

Thanks for taking the time to look at his channel.

User Info Menu

I think he should explain about bars 7-8 if he says play C major scale up and down but end on C#. I assume he is thinking | Am6 | D7 | but how would a student get it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I think he should explain about bars 7-8 if he says play C major scale up and down but end on C#. I assume he is thinking | Am6 | D7 | but how would a student get it?
    That's standard blues...goes to the VI7.

User Info Menu

I know, but that video is intended for a beginner and it makes no sense if he doesn’t explain it a little. As a teacher he needs to clarify in his presentations.

User Info Menu

By the way, why does he switch to major scale in bar 7? I don’t do that

User Info Menu

These are great lessons. The half step rules were a complete revelation for me. They brought order to some of the things I was hearing.
    There is a difference between what Chris teaches as the half step rules and what Pasquale Grasso teaches in the My Masterclass series. Both concepts seem to work well. I guess it just demonstrates that there are no absolute rules.

I am slowly absorbing Chris's excellent lessons as well as the Kingstone book and Grasso's lessons. It will be a long but worthwhile journey.

Yeah. They're not just basic beginning lessons though. They're lessons specifically for someone who's familiar with Barry Harris methodology and wants to apply it to guitar. The material he's allying in that first video would be familiar to anyone who's looked at Barry Harris material. It's pretty fundamental.

A7 going to the II, Dm7. Harris describes it that way rather than harm minor or melodic minor. To be fair, it's a pretty different feeling approach from simple scale description. You could call it harmonic minor, but it doesn't describe Harris's rhythmic approach to that.

Anyway, Barry Harris has a lot of material on YouTube etc doing this type of thing. It's always cool to see actual guitarists like Christian or Chris doing it though...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 09-09-2018 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

By the way, why does he switch to major scale in bar 7? I don’t do that
    He doesn't.

He's getting ready to introduce the dominant 7 diminished scale that contains a major seventh.

This scale is a combination of the C7 scale and the B diminished scale that contains a major 7th tone (B).

User Info Menu

Hope