The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Anyway don’t bother reading my posts... better to read this http://www.jazz.com/dozens/the-dozen...charlie-parker

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well it’s Eb7 innit.

Not all of Birds note choices have an immediately obvious explanation - many of them do.

But usually the harmony is straightforward unto itself. The relationship to the backing is sometimes less obvious.

OTOH harmony of itself tells you relatively little about what makes Birds music hip imo
    I mean more so what Bird plays/writes/improvises has a clear harmonic logic most of the time, even though it doesn't lay vertically over the 'changes' in such an obvious way. Will check out the coleman article, thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    I mean more so what Bird plays/writes/improvises has a clear harmonic logic most of the time, even though it doesn't lay vertically over the 'changes' in such an obvious way. Will check out the coleman article, thanks!
    Yeah I agree with that 100%

User Info Menu

It's what Bruce Foreman referred to as a 'moving fifth line'
    It's in the latest Guitar Wank podcast....

** There Will Never Be Another You. The changes of the first 4 bars of this tune are the same (albeit a tone lower)

Hi Christian what is the podcast no or title? re ** above as there are zillions.

D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Hi Christian what is the podcast no or title? re ** above as there are zillions.

D
    It's the same one with the list of tunes - can't remember... Search for 'bruce foreman tunes' - should come up.

User Info Menu

Actually Bird for me is the definition of musical anarchy - in a good way!
    Yeah- he was a very graceful virtuoso - not forceful but incredibly agile and effortless...rhythmic glide .

He may just have improvised this - then left it 'in' ...right ? Or unlikely ?
    Or he may have played the 'out grace note phrases 'differently in different performances. ..(?)

He actually changed the time feel - like he's quoting someone else when he throws blues licks in the line sometimes- especially in the opening line ....