The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

With this discussion of "burnishing" it might be helpful to point out that no line is written in stone and it's often necessary to change those lines that you worked so hard to get right.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

but then it would be a different line...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    With this discussion of "burnishing" it might be helpful to point out that no line is written in stone and it's often necessary to change those lines that you worked so hard to get right.
    I find that at times will start out with a lick, but not finish it, often improvising something else, or connecting two separate lines I have learned. Sort of a cut and paste arrangement of stuff I have worked on.

User Info Menu

rather like kata in the martial arts...it's not how you actually fight, but fluidity and assurance in the form enables adaptation and response to situation...

User Info Menu

"adaptation and response to situation..."

There is the key to playing "music" rather than just scales or licks. LOL. I wish I was better at it but at least I'm better at it than I was.

Sure, but there is a lot to be said for how to "stitch" these hard won lines together. That's what I'm aiming to get better at, learning to resolve my fave lines to any of 12 notes, which involves altering the "run home" in order to make a smooth (usually chromatic) approach. It's something I'm convinced is crucial, yet I never hear talk of this. What do you guys think?

User Info Menu

dunno 'bout that. all my 'memorized' patterns are a working out of the voice-leading for a particular harmonic situation. aren't 12 good places to 'resolve' to...two or three, maybe.

Well, it's just that a dom chord doesn't always go to I, it quite often goes, as you know, to tonic subs or other dom subs. Hence the "12 notes to resolve to" idea....