The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Let’s take the intervals in semitones from C to C of the C major scale:

C D E F G A B C
    +2 +2 +1 +2+2 +2+1

The backbone of C «positive» C major scale is the perfect fifth interval C-G
    Take his mirror interval: G-C: it’s the backbone interval of the negative C major scale
    The mirror of the C major scale,his negative counterpart, will be descending from G to G ,via C:

G F Eb D C Bb Ab G
    -2 -2 -1 -2 -2 -2 -1 (negative intervals in semitone)

The negative seven-chords of -C major scale

I construction of the first seven-chord of the -C major scale

First seven-chord of Cmaj scale (+) = Cmaj7: C E G B
    +4 +3 +4 = ascending intervals in semitone between the notes

First degree negative seven-chord:

From G, called «the first generative tone»,take the same intervals,but negative,and descending:

G Eb C Ab = -first degree seven-chordof -C negative scale
    -4 -3 -4

To find the Tonic of this first chord, we have now to put in order the seven negative degree of the -C negative major scale:

-C -Bb -Ab -G -F -Eb -D
    -I° -II° -III° -IV° -V° -VI° -VII°

the first note is C, the Tonic of this first negative chord
    It gives: G Eb C Ab ; in order C Eb G Ab = Cmb6
    5 b3 T b6

II construction of the second seven-chord of the -C major scale

Second seven-chord of C major scale Dm7 D F A C
    +3 +4 +3 =ascending intervals in semitone between the notes

Second degree negative seven-chord:

G F Eb D C Bb Ab G
    the second generative tone of -C major scale is F

to construct the second chord we’ll take the same intervals in semitone beginning from F ,but negative and descending:
    F D Bb G = -second degree seven-chord of C negative scale
    -3 -4 -3
    To find the Tonic of this second chord,take again the seven negative degree of the -C negative major scale:

-C -Bb -Ab -G -F -Eb -D
    -I° -II° -III° -IV° -V° -VI° -VII°

The second note is Bb,the Tonic of this second negative chord
    It gives: F D Bb G ; in order Bb D G F =Bb6
    6 3 T 5

If you do the same for each seven -chords,you’ll obtain:

-I Cmb6
    -II Bb6
    -III Ab6
    -IV Gmb6
    -V Fm6
    -VI Eb
    -VII Ddim6

Do that for the others Majors scales,Db,DEb,E..

Seven-chords of Positive scales: Imaj7 IIm IIIm IVmaj V7 VIm VIIm7b5
    Seven-chords of Negative scales: Imb6 bVII6 bVI6 Vmb6 IVm6 BIII6 IIdimb6

Application to ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE

Black: positiveHarmony
    Green: negative harmony

Fm Bbm Eb7 Ab
    B6 Gb6 Dbm6 Abmb6

Db G7 C C
    Ebmb6 Fm6 Cmb6 Cmb6

Cm Fm Bb7 Eb
    Gb6 Db6 Abm6 Ebmb6

Ab AmD7 G E7
    Bbmb6 Cm6 Gmb6 Abm6

Am D7 G C
    F6 Cm6 Gmb6 Dmb6

F#m7 B7 E C7
    D6 Am6 Emb6 Db6

Fm Bbm Eb7 Ab
    B6 Gb6 Dbm6 Abmb6

Db Dbm Gb7 Ab G7
    Ebmb6 A6 Em6 Abmb6 Fm6

Bbm Eb7 Ab Ab
    Gb6 Dbm6 Abmb6 Abmb6

cheers
    Milou,alias Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    Milou Jazz
    - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Negative harmony is a dead meme :-)

But nice one, maybe take a look at that when I’ve worked out how to do positive harmony.

User Info Menu

This gives me negative brain

User Info Menu

Interesting - and I will look at that further. But I have to say, just listening to the clip, that doesn't sound like All the Things at all to me. And I'm not really sure exactly what it does sound like, or if, for me at least, it really works. I guess it has some sort of effect on the listener, but is it an attempt to create some new kind of functional harmony?, because if so, I just can't hear that happening in practice.

User Info Menu

So C maj negative scale is really just a C min scale? I think I've heard enough

User Info Menu

Hep to the jive
    the negative major scale is’not a minor scale,read more carefully..
    cheers

User Info Menu

It has 3 flats in it, just like C min. If G is a the root though, then it's G Phrygian I guess?

On on a side note, no offense, nice playing, but I'd never guess it's ATTYA.

User Info Menu

I never thought it was All the thing u are!
    It is not made to be employed on each bars.My exemple was « exagerated «
    My aim ,in fact,was to explain how to enter in a negative harmony
    Musician like Herbie Hancock and others are mixing both harmonies in order to catch the listener ears ,spicing from Time to time bars of standards with negative harmony
    cheers
    Milou,aka HB

User Info Menu

Gotcha! Not trying to be negative btw... but prefer to stay positive

User Info Menu

Thanks for this. I have been curious about negative harmony.

It had been explained to me as being based on a pivot point, which could be any note. You used G in the key of C, but did it have to be G?

I'm going to try this in a jam this weekend. I'd like to hear the melody with those chords.

User Info Menu

I liked this rendition on the other thread. Listening again, I still like it. I think of it as "All the Things You Aren't." All those Sixths are suggestive, are they not? Thank you for making this very interesting demonstration.

User Info Menu

So, it appears you have a cumbersome method of arriving at the parallel minor. What differentiates the benefit of this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    So, it appears you have a cumbersome method of arriving at the parallel minor. What differentiates the benefit of this?
    I wrote another explanation, but decided to delete it. I will give you a one word answer to ponder "direction". When to use those notes is based on direction of the line. That's the thing most people leave out of talks on Negative AKA Symmetrical or Mirror Harmony.

User Info Menu

Well, that could be interesting.

User Info Menu

For what I learned,yes rpjazzguitar
    the « pivot » or axis stay between the tonic and the dominant
    cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    For what I learned,yes rpjazzguitar
    the « pivot » or axis stay between the tonic and the dominant
    cheers

In positive the tonic and generator are same notes in negative the tonic and generator are different notes. So Positive C Major = Negative G Major. Explaining why that is above my pay grade getting into overtones and undertones, mirror images and on and on.
    Last edited by docbop; 01-27-2018 at 01:44 PM.

User Info Menu

That’s why I’ve tried to explain negative harmony in this post,doc,with my limited resources .
    If somebody can use it,that will be fine !

User Info Menu

Thank you for your nice playing and detailed post

One thing I can't catch about negative harmony is the realtions... I don't hear them... I mean I udnerstand the principle but I don't hear relations

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Thank you for your nice playing and detailed post

One thing I can't catch about negative harmony is the realtions... I don't hear them... I mean I udnerstand the principle but I don't hear relations
    That's the bit I'm not getting either - I understand it's a process that can be done, and this is a good explanation of it, but I just don't hear it working in practice, at least in the example. I've heard people saying that music theory comes after the actual music, as an analysis of what's happening and why it works - OK, that understanding can then open up more ideas and possibilities, which is great. But my question would be: isn't this kind of doing things the wrong way round?

It has me thinking anyhow, which is good, and maybe my ears just need to get accustomed to the sounds...

User Info Menu

I know it’s a wrong way to think -and I have see many criticism about that by many respected musicians - but If you think that the first chord of the negative major scale is Abmaj7 in place of Cmb6,maybe you should feel more comfortable?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    That’s why I’ve tried to explain negative harmony in this post,doc,with my limited resources .
    If somebody can use it,that will be fine !

I find most only want to know enough so they can criticize it, not so they can experiment hear the sound. That's why these days I try to keep from posting or write the post and then delete like the other day. Negative/Symmetrical/Mirror harmony is like the Barry Harris stuff once you hear the sound, then you listen to music and hear it all the time. Plus Barry's b6 shhhh, that's from the negative scale, Barry hung with all those Beboppers and knows the sound.

You're doing more with negative chords, I'm need to work on that more. Since I'm in to improv I have mainly worked on negative scale for lines. So I can do as the old cats would say... "the wiggly sh1t" and the "pendulum".

User Info Menu

I don't mean to be negative, but is this a legitimate harmonic theory, or is it another snake oil description of something that either; (1) already exists, or (2) doesn't really stand up to fuller analysis?

Anyway, I'm almost positive that I've never heard of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I don't mean to be negative, but is this a legitimate harmonic theory, or is it another snake oil description of something that either; (1) already exists, or (2) doesn't really stand up to fuller analysis?

There are many names for what's popularly called Negative harmony and some say you can see it being used all the way back to Bach. Stand up to full analysis that don't mean crap, analysis by who, for what reason, theory is just people coming after the innovators/creators and hanging label on things so they can charge money to teach it.

User Info Menu

Very nice explanation HB! I’ve been wondering how this was put together, and you explained it very well! Very generous!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt

I can't tell if the usual theory is BS <g>.

But, I do know this. The first time I heard of "negative harmony" it was in a lesson from a world class player, with a music degree from a respected institution, who was interested in it.