Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. Guitar Scales/music theory?

    I need someone to give me a thorough explanation of guitar scales. I've read around the internet but its still confusing me. A link to a site with more about it would also be helpful. Anything that you could tell me about music theory also would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,476
    Hi summer12!

    Can you be a bit more specific? What are your immediate goals?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TN, close to Knoxville
    Posts
    826

  4. #4
    The long and the short of it, guitar scales enable the guitar to glide through the water and also provide protection. They are common on most guitar fish and come in many different colours.
    Welcome to the forum!

    David

    Guitar Scales/music theory?-screen-shot-2018-01-11-10-04-34-am-png

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,476
    Surely that's Bass?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Surely that's Bass?
    Stated with such authority. Are you with a particular school?

    David

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,476
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    Stated with such authority. Are you with a particular school?

    David
    Only the Yehudi Menufin school.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,476
    and the royal acodemy

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Surely that's Bass?
    with Max Roach on drums.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Coast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by summer12 View Post
    I need someone to give me a thorough explanation of guitar scales. I've read around the internet but its still confusing me. A link to a site with more about it would also be helpful. Anything that you could tell me about music theory also would be appreciated.
    1) 2) The site you are currently reading has lessons, articles, and a number of threads with a wealth of information for beginners of all levels. I myself have been a beginner for several decades. I'm beginning to make some progress, I think. Good luck!
    Best regards, k

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,469
    So what is with this phenomenon of people posting questions like this and then disappearing? Is it some sort of phishing thing?

    John

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    So what is with this phenomenon of people posting questions like this and then disappearing? Is it some sort of phishing thing?

    John
    I’m phucked if I know.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Woodshed, CA
    Posts
    7,577
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    So what is with this phenomenon of people posting questions like this and then disappearing? Is it some sort of phishing thing?

    John
    Over the years here I've notice so ask questions looking for a specific answer, my guess is to justify their position somewhere else. Others ask and the answers are more than they are ready for. Then the typical internet and after about a page of replies the threads start drifting different directions or arguments break out, that happens here a lot. Last they had posted the question on multiple sites, got an answer they are happy with elsewhere and just don't come back.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    So Cal USA
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Over the years here I've notice so ask questions looking for a specific answer, my guess is to justify their position somewhere else. Others ask and the answers are more than they are ready for. Then the typical internet and after about a page of replies the threads start drifting different directions or arguments break out, that happens here a lot. Last they had posted the question on multiple sites, got an answer they are happy with elsewhere and just don't come back.
    Well I notice the username is summer12. So maybe this is a 12 year old and mom took away his internet privileges.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    Well I notice the username is summer12. So maybe this is a 12 year old and mom took away his internet privileges.
    or maybe he has a life? god forbid he'd wait until *tomorrow* (gasp) to read the replies?

    more importantly,what are guitar scales?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    more importantly,what are guitar scales?
    Let me put it this weigh, my Les Paul is 8 lbs. How do you think I came to that conclusion?
    David

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Others ask and the answers are more than they are ready for. .
    But WHY?

  18. Quote Originally Posted by summer12 View Post
    I need someone to give me a thorough explanation of guitar scales. I've read around the internet but its still confusing me. A link to a site with more about it would also be helpful. Anything that you could tell me about music theory also would be appreciated.
    "guitar scales" are... scales on guitar.
    scales are set of notes picked from 12 available ones.
    music theory is all about how to manipulate those 12 notes.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Woodshed, CA
    Posts
    7,577
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post


    But WHY?

    No TAB

    Could be a lot of answers to that all depending on the person and what they were hoping for. What was the line from that movie... Don't ask question you don't really want the answer to.

  20. #20
    I weigh guitars on a regular scale.

    But, if you're talking about fingering scales on guitar, there are a lot of different approaches.

    Three approaches worth examining are the Segovia Scales (which include some interesting position shifts that jazz guys don't usually mention), Jimmy Bruno's approach (I got it from him -- I don't know if he originated it) and Chuck Wayne's approach. Jimmy and Chuck finger things differently. Warren Nunes also had an approach, which I recall somewhere in between.

    They all work. And remember, whatever you do, the bottlenecks are eventually going to be in the picking hand.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,469
    Repeat after me: you can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish, even though it's got scales ...

    John

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St.Petersburg, Russian Federation
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Only the Yehudi Menufin school.
    be careful... you can become one of 'they'

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    786
    (wolf has on flameproof clothing and is in a 3 inch steel plated tank like vehicle)

    it sure smells a bit fishy in here
    play well ...
    wolf

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch


Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

 

 

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed