The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

i just found this topic..I've thought about this also..The other day on the
    Ted Greene site, I found one of his hand written notes to a student..What
    he says is what is your goal?..What do you want to be able to do with the
    guitar/solo? ..small group..big band...I guess he wanted to know this before he crafted a lession program..He goes on to say his interest is in
    harmony..Maybe we need to focus on the area we are most interested in
    and try not feel as if we must do it all...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Play the music you want to play, whether that's solo, trio, quartet. Record it. Take an honest listen. Celebrate what you enjoy about the music (nailed the head, a good solo, interaction between players, nice tone etc). Be honest with yourself (but not negatively critical) about the areas that need improvement. Use this analysis to structure your practice time.
    Did you fall out of the pocket? Spend more time locked in with the metronome.
    Blow the bridge on "have you met miss jones?" Shed the changes.

Play another session. Record it. Repeat.

I find that if I take an honest listen to how I actually sound, my areas for improvement become obvious. I also believe that it's easy to become delusional about your own playing when you don't record and listen back.

peace,

User Info Menu

Yeah, good points..The problem is there is ..so much...to learn you can go around in circles for years..I'm speaking non-professional here..it makes
    more sense to direct your time to the area you are interested in..There are exceptions, but I find that great solo string players are not nessasarly
    great cord melody players...(as an example)...If you want to be a pro, then that is something different..but you have to be real about that to...

User Info Menu

All great points but I think Woodstalk nailed it...RECORD YOURSELF PLAYING!! You may be surprised on how good some of the stuff you play actually sounds.....and you know immediately when something didn't work so good. It is hard to really hear what we are playing sometimes because we usually are thinking too much when playing..i.e. what scale do I play, etc.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm afraid to hear myself, I might be playing all garbage!...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    What your doing sounds good.

Just keep evaluating, keep experimenting and keep mixing it up. Changes in your practice routine are good, it means you're thinking about it and you're not getting in a rut.

I just spent an hour playing up and down the neck with one finger on one string, improvising to modal vamps... changed strings so I did the excercise on each string. BTW, this exercise is from the book 'The Advancing Guitarist' by Mick Goodrick. Try it, it will take you to another place.
    You have read the book? Can you summarize for me WHY playing on one string is good?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elixzer
    You have read the book? Can you summarize for me WHY playing on one string is good?
    Try playing a favourite lick? Stops all that coasting on what you already know and might just open up your ears to improvised melody.

Try keeping true to the changes.

Ain't so easy. Also it's voice like.

Just a few reasons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike walker
    Try playing a favourite lick? Stops all that coasting on what you already know and might just open up your ears to improvised melody.

Try keeping true to the changes.

Ain't so easy. Also it's voice like.

Just a few reasons.
    Thankyou

User Info Menu

I'm 61 and I've been playing the guitar for 50 years. Long ago I realized that I would never know everything, and that I would never be able to master everything I know. But that's what keeps holding my interest. Plus, I only have about 2 hours per day to play/practice. So, I play songs - old and new. I concentrate on playing in tune with good tone, playing in time, and nailing the phrasing. Recording yourself produces immeasurable benefits in this regard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I'm 61 and I've been playing the guitar for 50 years. Long ago I realized that I would never know everything, and that I would never be able to master everything I know. But that's what keeps holding my interest. Plus, I only have about 2 hours per day to play/practice. So, I play songs - old and new. I concentrate on playing in tune with good tone, playing in time, and nailing the phrasing. Recording yourself produces immeasurable benefits in this regard.
    A lot of good stuff has been said already. IMO there is no single answer that covers all players' needs - at least not a very specific one. The short answer is that - "it depends". OK, it depends on what? one might say. Well for starters:

- the player's goals
    - the player's current level of development
    - the amount of time the player has to practice per day, at least at the current time.

Assuming those constraints are established, it boils down to a balanced mix of the following:

Instrumental practice:
    1. Technique
    2. Repertoire
    3. Reading
    4. Improvising and Transcribing

Plus other:
    1. Harmony, theory, rhythmic training
    2. Composition and arranging
    3. Ensemble practice

The following advice varies widely and has been spoken to by a number of great musicians through interviews etc:

Daily instrumental practice should be for a minimum of 45 minutes and a maximum of about 6 hours or so.

Once your skills are highly developed, 3-4 hours per day should be good for a working professional or concert/recording artist.

I'm talking Jazz and perhaps Classical here - not other styles. They may be similar but I admit that I am not interested in them.

2 hours only equilibrium is a need in jazz.... unlike the shredd type that you need to maintain your speed practicing maybe 5-7 hours in picking etc......like going to gym right....
    var geo_Partner = '7c2d38da-3a8b-409e-94cc-9e42c3e79112'; var geo_isCG = true;