The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ALB
    Hi there,

Another question of modern history of jazz. All is in the tittle : When Jazz Musicians start to play standards in odd meters ?

The first clue, maybe, is the Smalls crew in the 90's with Chris Potter or Brad Mehldau.

What do you think ?
    Like others here, I've been doing that for 45-50 years. I arranged Mancini's Charade in 5/4 for the A section and a Latin 4/4 for the bridge on my last CD. I've been doing Summertime and Shadow of Your Smile in 5/4 for decades. I work with the phrasing of the melody to find good candidates for this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I'd like to hear that
    Got an good links for a version in 3 ?

Mel Torme "live at the Red Door". verse and all; Fly Me was indeed written as a waltz.

User Info Menu

There is a long tradition for many musical styles to present songs that an artist liked from another genre by reframing it within the nuances of their particular style.There has also been in jazz an evolving international confluence. For instance, in the 70's there was a NYC band called Taksim that played a hybrid jazz music mixed with Mediterranean influences with virtuoso oud player. Also it was pretty common within various fusion music and progressive rock music to play in mixed and shifting meters.
    At some point it became a more prominent thing to reframe standards in different metric scenarios. To me this is just an extension of what has always been done. As this caught fire within jazz academia, it has now become a required skill set within some musical circles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    There's a whole series of albums Brubeck released with tracks in odd signatures

Time Out
    Time Further Out
    Countdown - Time in Outer Space
    Time Changes
    Time In
    That list hit home ! And I remember a lot of folks giving credit where it was due - to Joe Morello.

It also reminds me of someone back then asking the rhythm of 'Trane's Ole', and someone else saying it was a ' sprung ' rhythm.

All I could think of after hearing or reading that was Trane telling the other payers " Here's the rhythm - - call it whatever time signature you want,, but play it right ! " : )

Just my 2 cents....

User Info Menu

What does it for me is when they keep changing the meter - as in "Golden Brown". Or even the Beatles "Don't Bring me down" with one longer bar thrown in.