The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 122 of 122
    Wow what a great thread...theres so many but i'd say:

1) The realization that intervallic equivalents can be used harmonically, like for instance if a scale has a #2 and M3, the #2 can be interpreted as a b3 so the scale works over a minor chord...the VI chord of harmonic minor has a lot of options in this manner.

2) The realization that if i divide all 12 notes into 3 or 4 note collections I can use all 12 to create tonal centers while still retaining a kind of atonal quality.

3) Dunno if this counts as theory, but basically that just because I suck at playing by ear doesn't mean I can't write by ear...I basically just hum a melody I'm hearing in my head into a recording mic, making sure to audit my notes clearly and slowly...then I play it back and transcribe it to guitar...for me, trying to figure it out directly from my head to guitar always ends up with me losing the melody I had, so this was a simple solution...I can also use it directly in conjunction with theory by introducing a specific note collection (arp or scale) to my brain by playing on it a bit before letting my brain come up with a melody using those notes...of course in practice my brain will automatically add notes even if I'm being tonally deliberate lol...not that that's a bad thing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's very basic and elemental. But years ago I realized that if I could play a scale and count the degrees I could build cooler chords. Still, to this day, I think it's cool. No matter how simple.

User Info Menu

Most recently my big A-HA! moment came working with Jordan Klemons' method. If you're not following his threads, it's hard to explain, but doing some stuff he recommended got me to hear in a way that allows me to hear extensions as points of resolution, and I always had trouble with that before.

User Info Menu

"AHA! I have to work my a** off to have more of these 'aha! moments"

-me, every day.

User Info Menu

Recent a-ha for me has been regarding comping...

I've been working for a while now to stop "chasing changes" when soloing...but it applies to accompanyment too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Recent a-ha for me has been regarding comping...

I've been working for a while now to stop "chasing changes" when soloing...but it applies to accompanyment too!
    I'm curious to learn how you can avoid the changes when comping?....

As for aha! moments, I'm sure I've had plenty, but when I look back, I either struggle to remember them, or they now seem so obvious that it would be embarrassing to mention them!

User Info Menu

I'd imagine it'd mean something like not having to comp every single chord that passes by, and instead picking out important harmonic movements to emphasize.

For example, generalizing on the first 4 of rhythm changes, not feeling the need to voice something new for every 1-6-2-5 that passes by, but rather just get the point across of what's happening (I-V). Or choosing to layout if the soloist is filling enough space on their own.

Context is of course important, whether it be uptempo bop, ballads, and also depends on the size/instrumentation of the ensemble (Are you solely responsible for harmonic context? Is it a slow tempo where more harmonic movement is needed to keep it interesting?) It involves playing what you think is needed and not feeling strung along by the symbols on the page (or in your head).

That's my best guess.

User Info Menu

I've been looking at the wrong scale.

User Info Menu

I have been looking for ways to view all possible ways I can arrange any of the 12 notes in equal temperament tuning. Its more of a math thing not music necesarilly. From this I have found a few symmetrical structures I haven't come across yet such as.. !

The tritone scale and how there are actually 3 different types of tritone scales! Basing it from the symmetrical diminished I get these formulas

1) 1,b2,3,#4,5,b7 (this one is the most common)
    2) 1,b2,b3,#4,5,6
    3) 1,#2,3,#4,6,b7 (never heard of this one before but it sounds pretty interesting!)

And this one weird 4 note chord I never came across but symmetrically it has the same property as the 7b5 as you can play it a tritone away and it has the same set of notes.

1,#4,5,b9

There are of course the symmetrical 8-note scales such as

1) 1,b2,2,b3,b5,5,b6,6
    2) 1,b2,2,3,b5,5,b6,b7

And these also have tritone symmetric qualities.. sounds pretty far out!

User Info Menu

Interestingly 5 and 7 note scales don't have a symmetrical scale (in the sense of whole tone or diminished scales). So yeah.. fun fact!

User Info Menu

The C chromatic scale, dissected in fourths.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon
    interestingly 5 and 7 note scales don't have a symmetrical scale (in the sense of whole tone or diminished scales). So yeah.. Fun fact!
    math

User Info Menu

Recent aha moment - how to actually 'hear' and feel the Fender clean sound. Sounds stupid, I know.

User Info Menu

Realizing rhythm (and accent) is everything. You can play the "wrong" note, in time, and it will sound "right".

Most people focus on harmony and melody at the expense of this concept.

Another aha moment would be that "less is more" most times. One note placed perfectly in a phrase is more musically powerful than a fancy run of notes. Technically impressive? No, but being tastefully impressive is well...more musically impressive.

User Info Menu

Chord Inversons for harmonies

User Info Menu

Aha! moment, when I realized that there is a relationship between the number of sharps and flats in key signatures.

C key = no sharps/ flats | C# = 7 sharps | Cb = 7 flats ! 0 + 7 = 7
    G key = 1 sharp | Gb = 6 flats | 1 + 6 = 7
    D key = 2 sharps | Db = 5 flats | 2 + 5 = 7
    A key = 3 sharps | Ab = 4 flats | 3 + 4 = 7
    E key = 4 sharps | Eb = 3 flats | 4 + 3 = 7
    B key = 5 sharps | Bb = 2 flats | 5 + 2 = 7
    F# key = 6 sharps | F = 1 flat | 6 + 1 = 7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcandro
    Aha! moment, when I realized that there is a relationship between the number of sharps and flats in key signatures.

There is likely a logical explanation to that, but I can't yet figure it out . Any idea ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    There is likely a logical explanation to that, but I can't yet figure it out . Any idea ?
    Very simple. Taking the D major key as an example we have the following notes:

D - E - F# - G - A - B - C#

If we lower all notes in a half step, the natural notes will become flat notes, and the sharp notes will become natural notes. In this case, as we have a group of 7 notes with 5 natural notes and 2 sharp notes in the scale, we will get 5 flat notes and 2 natural notes.

Db - Eb - F - Gb - Ab - Bb - C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcandro

Perhaps a related way of "thinking" Rcandro; I was struck many years ago when I noticed that between neighboring keys, the sharps or flats and natural tones "invert", that is
    D = D,E F#,G A B C#,D
    Db=Db,Eb,F,Gb,Ab,Bb,C,D
    so the F# and C# of D become the only "not flatted" F and C notes of Db

F major has but one accidental, Bb, then move up to F#major and B becomes the only note that isn't "sharpped".
    This helped me back when I was more solid in some keys than others, I could sort of cross reference things; I might not feel solid about Db but I could quickly lean on knowing that every note is "flat" except F and C.

Go ahead and tell me if this sounds twisted, but I did use it.

User Info Menu

Different Aha ....

ii V I in C

If you play Db7 (TT sub for G7)
    stuff over the G7 ....
    And you play 'In' Db7 sounds
    You get the 'out' sounds on G7

If you see what I mean ?

User Info Menu

Possibly the moment I discovered the 13b9 chord...

User Info Menu

Here are a few of my "aha's", in roughly chronological order:

1. Understanding 'key of the moment'. I knew basic analysis and could put Roman numerals to a song with harmony as far afield as, say, V of III, but "All The Things You Are" had me stumped, until I got this concept.

2. Realizing that rhythm is the most important part. I was playing a written part in a recording session. When the rhythm was off the engineer and the producer knew right away and we needed another take; when the rhythm was right, they asked ME if I had played the right notes.

3. Tuning my guitar in P4 for the first time.

4. Starting to understand Solfege -- knowing what scale degree you are on; knowing it well enough to sing it.

5. Realizing that you can practice in your head.

6. Understanding that people have very different strengths and weaknesses in music, as in everything else.

7. Realizing that people disagree fundamentally on what is good, interesting, appropriate or right in music and in EVERYTHING else.