The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

So D+9 is probably a D9#5 (D F# A# C E) not a D7#9 (D F# A C E#)?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Same thing about continuo (300 years away - the problem is the same).... I had an argument with a leader if I had to play all the figures in the score... his idea was if a composer wrote it then it was for something... my idea was: yes it was for something... it was to indicate the notes that the melodic instruments played so that the continuo player would not contradict them... because most probably continuo did not have the full score on the stand, only continuo part
    It makes complete sense. That said I can think of a chart my octet plays (an original) which is written as a blues with a lot of dissonance in the harmony. Lots of #9, #5 and b5, etc. The print is really tiny, so when I first played it, I couldn't see the alterations well enough to play them. I stuck with 3 and 7, and that worked. Later, as I got to know the chart, I started playing the alterations, which duplicated some of the horns. It sounded better that way. Something about contributing to the overall texture of the piece.

User Info Menu

E7#9 is read: E7sharp9. It's an E chord with a dominant 7 and a sharp nine. Spelling the chord upwards from the root you have E, G#, B, D, G. I usually just use four notes for those type chords and play them on the middle four strings. Starting with E, the root or 1, on the A string, seventh fret, then the 3, G# on the D string, D, the 7 on the G string and finally G, the sharp 9 on the B string.

Conversely, E7b9 is read E7flat9.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Feloniuspunk
    I usually just use four notes for those type chords and play them on the middle four strings. Starting with E, the root or 1, on the A string, seventh fret, then the 3, G# on the D string, D, the 7 on the G string and finally G, the sharp 9 on the B string.
    For the sake of brevity, write: x7678x

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    For the sake of brevity, write: x7678x
    Also may be known as the Jimi Hendrix Chord.

User Info Menu

Personally I'd write E7(#5), but as others have pointed out, + is used for aug 5th chords.

To put some context on it, when I played the chord the first two chords (pick up and first bar) of "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons" jumped out at me. Try it on a keyboard. E+9 Amaj7 . Really nice sound.

(E G# C D F# - A G# C# E ) As a basic voicing highlighting the melody.

Rob
    Last edited by robbo; 04-21-2017 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Also may be known as the Jimi Hendrix Chord.
    It's the Hendrix chord when used with the open E in the bass. That, and you have to slam it hard :--)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    So D+9 is probably a D9#5 (D F# A# C E) not a D7#9 (D F# A C E#)?
    Yes. Should really be D9+. Otherwise the + sign might mean add9 which isn't the same thing. That could mean a D triad with an E on top - x5425x.

So almost certainly D9+ - x5435x. Can also be played x3435x (no root).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's the Hendrix chord when used with the open E in the bass. That, and you have to slam it hard :--)
    A squirt of lighter fuel and a match helps too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A squirt of lighter fuel and a match helps too.
    But first, are you ... experienced?

User Info Menu

OOOHHHH!

A7b9

heh heh

I was trying to get my Android Phone to type those a few times..I thought you Guys had Music Fonts on Computers or something - lol.

But it DOES have this symbol A7° but I can't do half diminished symbol.

And this NEW Symbol A¤- it means
    'Play whatever type of A chord you want '...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 04-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

User Info Menu

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
    Show off

User Info Menu

Heh HehHeh HehHeh HehHeh HehHeh HehHeh HehHeh Heh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    I was trying to get my Android Phone to type those a few times..I thought you Guys had Music Fonts on Computers or something - lol.

But it DOES have this symbol A7° but I can't do half diminished symbol.

And this NEW Symbol A¤- it means
    'Play whatever type of A chord you want '...
    "A13? That's an A chord played 13 times."
    ©Nigel Tufnel