Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He's what we call a "genius", really! I listened to his album on apple music and I wasn't really moved by it, but I'd love to hear from some people who've checked out his music more than I have in case I'm just being ignorant

User Info Menu

I really enjoy his album "In My Room". But whether one likes his musical expression or not, his core musicality is just mesmerizing.

User Info Menu

All that Theory sure did not hurt his Vocal 'Feel ' or Skills.

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with Musically..

My guess is he may actually be a Genius but we won't... hear a new Stevie Wonder or Fagen /Becker (Steely Dan ) or Beatles...but we might still hear some great things.

Interesting that his Up a Fifth versus Down a Fourth generally rings true to my ears.

He really has fun with Theory and seems to be fluent in the language and concepts- both he and the young Bassist have a kind of rapid fire speech ...

What would Jazz be if Charlie Parker lived to 73 ?
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 11-11-2018 at 09:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa View Post
    All that Theory sure did not hurt his Vocal 'Feel ' or Skills.

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with Musically..
    I hope that Jacob Collier, with his enormous talent, gets to sing the 'right' material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    I hope that Jacob Collier, with his enormous talent, gets to sing the 'right' material.
    June Lee has become friends with Jacob and knows some details of Jacobs recordings. I was amazed when he talked about one of Jacobs tunes has 340 tracks. Jacobs recording skills match his musical skills.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Good point.

One of the Greatest Male Voices ( surprise ) for Pop and R&B was George Michael ..he had great Clarity ..a true ' Instrument ' with a very wide range ( nearly 3 Octaves = full Tenor+ )..a lot of power or crooning and effortless but he didn't really do that many
    Albums for someone with a Gifted Voice...

Not sure how Gifted Collier is Vocally...
    But he's good.

Someone like Tony Bennett has a Great Voice and maintained it for a long long time..

But Jazz Singers rarely ever express Raw Emotion like Blues , R&B, Gospel , and even Rock Singers do..

'Tin Pan Alley' Writers did not delve into Raw Emotion much .... I assume.

Jazz Sax Players - totally different story- they express everything at times.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-31-2017 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa View Post
    Good point.

One of the Greatest Male Voices ( surprise ) for Pop and R&B was George Michael ..he had great Clarity ..a true ' Instrument ' with a very wide range ( nearly 3 Octaves = full Tenor+ )..a lot of power or crooning and effortless but he didn't really do that many
    Albums for someone with a Gifted Voice...

Not sure how Gifted Collier is Vocally...
    But he's good.

Someone like Tony Bennett has a Great Voice and maintained it for a long long time..

But Jazz Singers rarely ever express Raw Emotion like Blues , R&B, Gospel , and even Rock Singers do..
    My favourite male singer doesn't do very good material, but here's a clip that shows off his voice and range:

User Info Menu

Jazz Sax Players - totally different story- they express everything at times.

Up until about 1970 I would agree with that. After that its more expresso than expression..

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

My favourite male singer doesn't do very good material, but here's a clip that shows off his voice and range:
    I just heard this again ...I really like the Band/Rhythm Section ...and yeah excellent voice .

User Info Menu

Mysteriously - the smartest people on the Planet do not usually write the strongest songs ...be they Pop , Classical , Jazz....it's kind of a different part of the brain/mind.

Also the clever 'Music School Mentality' - "the whole Song is based on mode 3 of the Harmonic Major Scale" - i.e. writing clever musician stuff for musician buddies - rarely produces memorable stuff - including Bach's Greatest Hits and Beethoven's Fifth - laymen get those and remember them ....