The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Its root is D. Its home is D. Its 3rd is F. You can arrive on it. It's 5th is A.

If you can see that pool of notes from D to D, and more importantly, hear that sound, you'll eventually be able to differentiate it from the sound of C maj.
    Also, the way i bring notes to the table of Dmin (the spices if ya like) is totally different to that of C maj.
    Arpeggios are the backbone. Play D F A C. sound like C maj to you?
    Now, add the 2nd (E) between the root (D) and the m3rd (F).

That's just a simple way of adding notes to the 'backbone'....the important thing is you hear the E as a second of D, not as a 3rd of E.

As you add more notes to the pool you start to see each pool as individual.

This gets Big Fun when you add chromatics.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mike walker
    Its root is D. Its home is D. Its 3rd is F. You can arrive on it. It's 5th is A.

If you can see that pool of notes from D to D, and more importantly, hear that sound, you'll eventually be able to differentiate it from the sound of C maj.
    Also, the way i bring notes to the table of Dmin (the spices if ya like) is totally different to that of C maj.
    Arpeggios are the backbone. Play D F A C. sound like C maj to you?
    Now, add the 2nd (E) between the root (D) and the m3rd (F).

That's just a simple way of adding notes to the 'backbone'....the important thing is you hear the E as a second of D, not as a 3rd of E.

As you add more notes to the pool you start to see each pool as individual.

This gets Big Fun when you add chromatics.
    Obviously the root, 3d and 5th are the hints needed. What tends to make something sound like C Major well, how about a CMaj7 arpeggio? Getting fancy one could sub an Emi7 or Ami9. Nice for an ending vamp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Obviously the root, 3d and 5th are the hints needed. What tends to make something sound like C Major well, how about a CMaj7 arpeggio? Getting fancy one could sub an Emi7 or Ami9. Nice for an ending vamp.
    Yes. But it's about how you hear these things. Also how you see the sustitute arpeggios as parts of a bigger pool of notes.

Let's put it this way....if your thinking in C maj over D dorian are you like to play a C sharp note.

There are so many ways to make D dorian and C major completely seperate sounds. But the start is defining, hearing and seeing the scale as an individual pool of notes.

User Info Menu

A stupid phrase that I was told by a tone deaf lorry driver which has helped me a lot with this is:

"If Dora Plays Like Me All's Lost."
    (Ionian Dorian Phrygian Locrian Myxolydian Aeolian Locrian)

just helps me organise the modes in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by seagullc
    Hey guys, I fully understand the modes and how they are derived from the major scale but i'm having trouble quickly remembering them on the guitar fretboard. I understand the theory aspect of it and I can figure out each mode from the ionian major scale but i'm having trouble remembering a fingering for each mode independently. Does anyone have any tips of how I can do this? For my Humber guitar audition I'll need to be able to play each mode (and the modes of melodic minor also I believe) and obviously I can't sit there figuring them out, they need to be memorized and well practiced.
    Knowing the modes via the ear and knowing them on the instrument are not always synonymous with certain students. In your case (if I read you correctly), you need to quasi-cheat your way through a rushed and stressful situation. You cannot rush the ear, so do not try. Assimilation is assimilation and that is cement, and not cardboard. In your case (and this should only be treated mono-dimensionally), I suggest being able to settle on simple and readily accessible fingerings for each mode you are executing, within your chosen harmonic realm (Major scale, Harmonic or Melodic minor, etc, etc). Once you achieve this (should be simple for you), then "eyeball" where the tonic note is (Ionian root) within each mode/fingering. Locate each mode immediately via it's fixed proximity to the tonic note (Ionian).

For example if you begin on the 2nd, you can think whole step major second or ninth if you choose, as well) above tonic note (remember each note in each mode is considered it's root, but is not the tonic note; Dorian mode, in C, has it's starting note as D, but it is really a C scale "standing on D" In other words D is the "final" and is referred to that word in some theory circles; the "final" begins and ends on D). If the 2nd degree is a minor 2nd, for example, you can eyeball it as "raised root." If the third is starting note ( depending on the chosen harmonic realm...a type of Phrygian), you see the tonic note, for example on another string, yet intervallically in close proximity to your starting note. Since you say you *know* your modes on paper (or in your mind), then this procedure should be a piece of cake for you...or a least pie a la mode.

-TD

User Info Menu

I've been trying to get a grip on the different modes & how to apply to my solos. I play rock but have always soloed a little outside & all I'm getting a neck filled with notes & it seems to amount to half step & whole steps & listen your way through any improv. I have learned how chromatics aren't taboo & a little stuff with diminished scales but as I said half & whole steps & work on hybrid picking. Help!

User Info Menu

I recommend the 'Five Shapes' that Jimmy Bruno teaches.
    By the way, I understand this is widely taught elsewhere
    from a guy who did time at the GIT.

Bruno would skin me for saying this but, if you look, the
    modes are embedded in these shapes. The shapes are
    available free on his site. Also, Bruno's method
    is worth a look before you marry the scales/scales/modes
    thing. Best to you, whichever you choose.

User Info Menu

I've been trying to get a grip on the different modes & how to apply to my solos. I play rock but have always soloed a little outside & all I'm getting a neck filled with notes & it seems to amount to half step & whole steps & listen your way through any improv. I have learned how chromatics aren't taboo & a little stuff with diminished scales but as I said half & whole steps & work on hybrid picking. Help!

User Info Menu

You can try and have all these little tricks to memorizing these things but the best way to learn anything like this is just practice the shit out of it. Learn the theory and just play them until you can play all around the neck without thinking about it. No short cuts, unfortunatly!

User Info Menu

Best advice of life.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's a never ending learning & though it doesn't feel like effort is paying off like I'd like, I'm looking & the neck with fresh ears & it has paid off.