The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Does anyone here use Chris Standring's Play What You Hear method ?

Are you satisfied ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

mmm kind of hazy subject really, i tihnk "play what you hear" is, for most people, just a culmination of a lifetime of hard work on normal theory with the scales and modes and all . This is because thats all scales are; just the way of knowing how the next note will sound, they aren't a way of improvising, just reminding you where the bum notes are. I tihnk thats something people do forget though, cos really the "play what you hear" thing is what is meant to happen, eventually you do know instinctively where the next note of your melody is just through familiarity with the guitar....
    It's alright if you're born with perfect pitch and an instant neurone response memory? haha

User Info Menu

I totally agree with you but "play what you hear" makes the process faster. It keeps you focus on the scales and sound of notes...even if this method is not really a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

I know a lot of guitarists who just "play what they hear" and they usually play pretty well. But its nice to know what notes you should be hitting, at least I think so anyways.....

User Info Menu

I tried this method, but not sure I got right. What sometimes I try to do when I practice is to play the melody that comes to my mind while listening to the tune, rather than letting my fingers follow their "safe patterns" or licks.

Although as this is a new process to me I'm confused about a simple matter: won't this make my solos predictable in a long run? Because even if I manage to play what I have in mind it still all depends on my skills as melody maker/thinker.
    So does this mean that we have to train our melodic sense as well? How to do so besides listening to diverse music, trying new scales or approaches? It all leads back to the technical aspect of music and theory, that proved being helpful, at least to me.
    What do you guys think? Am I confused?

User Info Menu

I think you hit the nail on the head with what we should all be doing, A.D., listening to diverse music, practicing and experimenting with different things. I think thats the key.

User Info Menu

I wish I could play by ear. Even when I try to play by ear, nothing pops into my head or I just end up letting my fingers run off everywhere. I think it probably would take a pretty long time to learn how to really play by ear.

User Info Menu

I had exactly the same problem : no melody in my head.

But I read an interview about Santana (no jazz player but a great guitar player anyway) who said that when he improvises he just tells a story or a situation to himself ; like for instance an arguement with your wife or anything. You just have to try to stick a melody on the story you imagine.

And believe me it works... don't know why !

Now I have to learn to play be ear !!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I struggle with that one too. For me, its the combination that will lead you to good impro. It's really (trying) to play what you hear inside. If you're stuck or don't know where to go next, use scales as a guide to get back on track. What I also do is: learn some short licks (yeah I know, some folks don't like that) , just one bar , learn them as such you can play them fluently without thinking. You can get them from a book, from this site, or just... from your head (hi hi ). If you get it from books, you might just take a couple of notes from the book and add your own notes to it (you know, the ones you hear in your head)
    I hope this helps
    PascalD

User Info Menu

i have really good ears, didnt get much out of standrings book though.

User Info Menu

Yea when im in the shower or something or daydreaming in school, I can think of some nice sounding music. But when I get to my guitar, either I forgot it or I cannot transfer the notes to my guitar. It gets pretty annoying.

User Info Menu

Buy a cheap dictaphone, or an MP3 player with a mic in and when you have your ideas just yodel down the jist of it, then when you pick up your banjo, work it out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aPAULo
    Yea when im in the shower or something or daydreaming in school, I can think of some nice sounding music. But when I get to my guitar, either I forgot it or I cannot transfer the notes to my guitar. It gets pretty annoying.
    I tend to run into that problem too - that's why I can't wait until I'm at the point where I'm that comfortable with the guitar.

Sometimes, though, I get the feeling that knowing scales and modes limits my ability to transpose my thoughts to guitar, because my hands are always going in the way of scales...anyone else feel like scales are "limiting" them in any way? I know it sounds weird...

User Info Menu

Scales are not limiting per se, but our fingering is cos we always approach them the same way. That's why playing by ear might solve the problem 'cos we think melodically and not with our fingers.
    Sometimes I'm afraid of becoming a music software (very limited though), cos I play things I learn within my small cage no better than a dumb program who's been made to do few things. Always same fingerings, same melodic solutions and rhythms.
    Time to upgrade myself. But it's so hard and requires a lot of work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fret15
    I tend to run into that problem too - that's why I can't wait until I'm at the point where I'm that comfortable with the guitar.

Sometimes, though, I get the feeling that knowing scales and modes limits my ability to transpose my thoughts to guitar, because my hands are always going in the way of scales...anyone else feel like scales are "limiting" them in any way? I know it sounds weird...
    well, likely the stuff you're coming up with DOES come from some scale...

a fun thing to do is come up with lines played on one string only. not really practical (so much jumping around) but it really helps you get away from the whole "scale pattern" nonsense.

User Info Menu

there's lots of ear training softwares that are sold for downloads nowadays. i don't personally own any but i've used one or two before. they seem to be pretty helpful but only if you actually have the dedication, otherwise it's a waste of money. also improvise a LOT!!! this helps greatly with learning to play what you hear.
    one more thing, there's an actual course called 'play what you hear'. it's by some guy that seems to be pretty knowledgeable about things and knows what he's talking about. any reviews anyone?

User Info Menu

I have been curious about Chris' method also. I can sing some really good lines over chords, but can't play them on guitar in real time.

That is my ulitmate goal in soloing. Here is the gold standard for me. Check this vid out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeanpatt
    Who here uses this method ?

Are you satisfied ?
    I'm a guitar teacher who uses ear/finger method because it works with charts and notes. The true nature of music is aural. Written notes are a video simulation. Don't you ever wonder how Stevie "Wonder" did it?

User Info Menu

I have a good ear or so I am told by my teachers.
    But I don't read so well and I think that would be just as important.

I am wondering how many of you are good sight readers ? or at least good enough to work out a chord chart by reading the notes ?

I can do that but very slowly..... I am getting better at it all the time.

Dan Balmer once told me this:

" There is nothing else in music study that will get you there faster then learning how to read."

I believe that is true. It's better to think music then it is to memorize a bunch of Cliche's.

User Info Menu

I am in the same boat, painfully slow with reading chords, but can do it. Can do single line melodies much easier, but not nearly where I would like to be.

I have been told my numerous guys that in order to improve this, spend 15 minutes every day on it. Sounds about as exciting as root canal.

User Info Menu

Yep ! painful.

Someone told me when I was a kid how difficult it was to learn to read.
    He said it takes a life time to learn to sight read. I believe he was full of
    beans. But it put a mental block in me about learning to read. I am glad my teachers had forced me to read as much as I have. When I get into it
    I really like to it when I take the trouble. Most recently I learned to play
    " Blues for Alice " by reading. My ear is good but not that good.

I try to read as much as I can and I am at a point where it is getting easier. Timing is a little more of a challenge. I'd like to take drum lessons.

User Info Menu

Sight reading is a practice skill. Trust your ear first. But the more you sight read, the easier it is. Don't be intimidated. But always remember that written music is only an approximation of what really was heard. Someone could spend a year transposing a Coltrane riff, but you could learn it by ear in a day, if you practice. On the same, Coltrane could never have painted a VanGogh....eh? That's an ear joke son.

User Info Menu

Practice 15 minutes a day????
    What else would you have to give up?

User Info Menu

Sight reading is no big deal. I learned it as a kid. You just have to practice hard and be constantly on it for about 6 hours a day for a while. Itìs just rote, routine, mechanical stuff. It has nothing to do with making melodies and improvisation. I don't get the ear stuff. I can't imagine singing what I play like that fellow on the video. It's just impossible for me, I think, and now I'm driving myself nuts trying to learn this sort of thing.

User Info Menu

agree, sightreading is no big deal or something else
    it doesn't help if your not listening to your interne ears -
    approximation, might be
    what makes a musician to be a "musician"?