The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 154 of 154

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scrybe
    At the risk of sounding pedantic....
    It is important to be pedantic about this stuff, because imvho there is so much stuff written on modes and scales etc with so little precision. Your post seems precise to me, tho
    Last edited by gersdal; 04-04-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: I added imvho

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    My mistake-I meant C lydian. Does that make more sense?
    ah, cool, I considered that. gave the lengthy explan cos of too many times reading stuff like that purported as using modes in textbooks and wotnot. I agree with you tho - the way I look at it, one note usually isn't sufficient to establish a tonality, and when people talk about using these scales and modes, I always think in chords and tonalities. anything less than that, and you're just adding colour, whatever scale/mode you're using to do that with, imvho.

User Info Menu

I think we're all really singing off the same hymn sheet. New people to jazz-in fact new people to music theory in general- can get quite overwhelmed by it all. They might start to think that music is turning into the subject they hated most at school! As we all know-this should all be fun. Whilst I DO agree that theory is very important, I feel that it's much more important to just play and learn to "feel" the music. I think it's not always necessary to completely understand the why. Unless, of course, you really enjoy all the theoretical stuff. In which case-work away. Whatever makes you happy.

User Info Menu

Thank you. It was that natural minor change I was thinking of, but your explanations are very helpful. They are a lot to take in at once but I will refer back to them soon.