The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi Matt What a good exercise! it looks excellent, I wish I have the time to experiment with this in a few days. Thanks!. Antonio.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Cool stuff for sure. I like to use rootless 7b9 arpeggios(okay, diminished 7th arpeggios) over dominants because the symmetry saves me some thinking in tight spots. :P I've also been messing with the minor third subs and have found them real fun, especially in my chord melody playing where I don't have to worry about stepping over someone's harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ancontreras
    Actually all 4 chords in a minor third substitution are close related to each other: let´s considering G7 as the primary dominant (we are in C of course), in this case, Bb7 is bVII (bVII7 to I, also called back door progression, and you can see that as modal interchange chord, from his related IIm7, Fm7, the subdominant minor chord (IVm7 in C). Db7 is the subV7 chod, and finally, E7 is V/VI7, this means also the V7 of A minor, the "parental" key (the key that share key signature with C, I don´t know if "parental" is the word in English, excuse me).
    Hi there ,
    I'm thinking about it exactly like you ! First time I happen to read this somewhere ... I'm very happy !
    Pat martino tells it but doesn't explain it ...moreover this is not the way he applies this concept.
    I came to this by analysing standarts (cherokee , donna lee .... are good examples for the modal interchange ). How did you ?
    First post , hello everyone !

Stringbean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    the Kurt Rosenwinkel approach. This is where you treat any chord as a diminished chord. So for example:

It's a little hard to squeeze this in on short changes, or at quick tempos, unless you're Kurt! But it works good on blues and modal tunes with longer changes, like So What for example. Dm7 becomes Dm7 Fm7 Abm7 Bm7 and Ebm7 becomes Ebm7 Gbm7 Am7 Cm7.

m78w@yahoo.ca
    MW
    I tried this on Bob Marley's, Get Up Stand UP (1 chord tune in DM). Worked nicely, gave it a sort of Nirvana sound. > which twisted nicely with the multi leveled lyrics.

User Info Menu

I love this thread. Thanks to everyone contributing. Looking through Pat Martino's "The Nature of Guitar" was an eye-opener. But his charts are written backwards to my eye. That is to say the nut of the neck is on the right, and "up" the neck towards the 12th fret and beyond is to the left. I find this awkward but I'm thinking he must have a reason for doing it that way. Can anyone explain?

User Info Menu

To be honest I don't know, maybe it was a printing error and they left it in. Pat does some weird things with how he writes things out so it's just one of his quirks.

MW