The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 131 of 131

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    It's not one or the other... you need both. Your ears are only as good as what they can hear and if you can't hear the theory what good is it. And learn to read well... Good musicians have great ears, understand what there playing and can read what's put in front of them with out memorizing it...Reg
    That sums it up nicely!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by \m/ Mad Metal Mage \m/

Anyway, I just want to know--does my studying of music theory, in both classical and jazz musics, really make a difference to my guitar playing?
    ."
    Absofuckinloutley.

User Info Menu

Ask yourself this question: Would I be a better player if I took away the theory I've learned? How someone else answers the question has nothing to do with your playing. The people that don't have the understanding of theory (outside of intuitive ear training) can't really respond to a question they have no experience with. Their own playing could grow by leaps and bounds if they learned some theory or it might not change at all. I personally wouldn't want to sit around wondering if I might have a deeper understanding of anything in life if the info was free for the taking. I teach guitar, write compositions for instruments other than my own and work in a recording studio......I wouldn't be getting paid for this had I not learned to read notation and be able to communicate to other musicians about music in a non musical format. (Hence all these words we are using instead of musical examples.)

User Info Menu

In short, theory gives us the means to be far more creative. Even something really simple like harmonic intervals. Once you know how they all sound, you can identify which are you're favourite sounding ones instead of stumbling upon them every now and again. I think it helps you to be able to play what you hear in your head. As for the actual playing, that's all practice yeah, but I practiced more when I learned some new ideas.

User Info Menu

I have played with a lot of guitarists over the years...some did not know any theory and some knew it cold...cant say that those that know theory played any better or worse than those that didnt know...I dont think there is a strong link between being creative and knowing theory.

What I do know it that it was 1000 times easier to COMMUNICATE a musical idea/progression/melody to those that know "theory"..

I agree with Derek's point about being a guitarist vesus a musician..Barney Kessel used to say he was a musician first and the guitar was just his chosen tool to express his music...

Tedesco, Carlton, Graydon,etc certainly didn't lack creativity in the studio because they knew their theory...

I dont think you can learn jazz without at least some knowledge of jazz theory...IMHO

User Info Menu

I agree with gravitas. with knowledge comes freedom. Yes a good ear helps you sound better, but you wont actually know what you are doing. You wont have the ability to talk about music with other musicians.

To be a good amature theres not much need for alot of theory, but if you ever want to have a chance in the music biz, you better know music theory.