The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    Hey Wolf !

Inter-relations between 4T and 3T systems
    I took 2 full days to learn his theory,and I succeed !!

Augmented Scale Theory ? Javier Arau

Maybe,i'll share it in a post,cause certains points are not explained,ie (013)trichords 1-b2 b3 scale degree in diminished (four tonic system) scale---, (014)trichords, (1 b2 3) scale degrees in augmented (three tonic system) or eluded for beginners in Harmony
    cheers
    HB
    It took me a bit to see the relevance .but write out the scales dim and aug..and you will find the scale degrees embedded .. see my post above for the augmented scale breakdown

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

you did understand me
    I have all understood
    The point is,should I comment different points in his article that are not well explained by him for our community
    cheers
    HB

User Info Menu

HB

It took me several readings over a couple of weeks of Arau to put together a basic picture of what he is saying..so its not for basic beginners..(Coltrane changes alone scare some pros!)

to realize that the diminished and augmented scales and their use is one of the most confusing aspects in music..for guitarists--an occasional diminished chord and its use in minor thirds is about as far as most delve into their function and use..the term symmetric is lost on many..

now im using the progressions and "thinking" of this type of stuff on my own compositions-so I can make them fit .. to fit it into a "standard" lets say..would be almost an engineering task..you may be able to re-harmonize a tune using Part of some of this type stuff .. but your not going to be able to fit it in your every day pop/rock/or even fusion pieces without some careful foresight..

so while this information is good to share..so is quantum theory..hope you see my point..

pointing out the embedded chords in these scales is a good beginning as many have not seen this analysis in these scales..then the use as subs may be the next "eye opener" ..

melding the dim and aug scales together may be for those who have an appetite for advanced jazz theory..

do try though..see what kind of feedback you get

User Info Menu

Wolf
    I'm also Sure that this theory is not made for standards but well for prepared compositions;otherwhise you would have to change deeply the harmonic progressions of those Classic standards.

As you said,the 3 possible subs of II V in the 4T theory coming from the diminished scale would be a good beginning to make a post.
    After maybe,the trichords 014 of the Augmented scale and 013 of the diminished scale

When he reveals the 4T C system from the C diminished scale,I think It should have been possible to do that also and easier with the help of the Ab diminished scale,as This scale does give the same results concerning the II V subs toward C.
    Moreover,Ab ,as he said,is a link between 3T and 4 T scales...
    HB
    Last edited by Hyppolyte Bergamotte; 04-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Can someone post the different ways that this information is useable to Jazz improvisation? I mean apart from it's use in Coltrane changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Can someone post the different ways that this information is useable to Jazz improvisation? I mean apart from it's use in Coltrane changes.
    ok..first..please re-read this entire post ..there is a lot of info posted so go slowly..you should be able to pick up a few ideas .. now if your not familiar with diminished and augmented scales and all the chords that are embedded within them..do some research..again in this post you will find some keys to unlock the scales..

example: the diminished scale

C D Eb F Gb Ab A B
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 6 7

you will find chords from the 2 4 6 (not the flat6!) & 8th degree of this scale you will have Dmi Fmi Abmi Bmi..now also in the scale are the b7th note of these chords..so you now have Dmi7 Fmi7 etc..and in the scale is the Major 3rd of these chords--so now you have D7 F7 etc..and you can alter the D7 into a D7b5..because the scale also has the flat fifth of these chords..and because the 7b5 is a tri-tone chord..in the diminished scale you have two tri-tone scales-the are 6note scales (hexatonic)

D Eb Gb Ab A C--D7b5 is also Ab7b5 so this scale covers both chords..the other triton scale is:

F Gb A B C Eb -- F7b5 & B7b5...

and there is more!!

so in the place of a dim chord or a 7b9 chord try some runs using any the arpeggios of these chords instead or my fave is the tritone scale is has the essence of the dim scale but its not so predictable..

hope this helps

User Info Menu

princeplanet68961]Can someone post the different ways that this information is useable to Jazz improvisation? I mean apart from it's use in Coltrane changes.

ok..first..please re-read this entire post ..there is a lot of info posted so go slowly..you should be able to pick up a few ideas .. now if your not familiar with diminished and augmented scales and all the chords that are embedded within them..do some research..again in this post you will find some keys to unlock the scales..

example: the diminished scale

C D Eb F Gb Ab A B
    1-2 -3 -4-5-- 6-7-8
    1 2 b3 4 b5 b6 6 7

you will find chords from the 2 4 6 (not the flat6!) & 8th degree of this scale you will have Dmi Fmi Abmi Bmi..now also in the scale are the b7th note of these chords..so you now have Dmi7 Fmi7 etc..and in the scale is the Major 3rd of these chords--so now you have D7 F7 etc..and you can alter the D7 into a D7b5..because the scale also has the flat fifth of these chords..and because the 7b5 is a tri-tone chord..in the diminished scale you have two tri-tone scales-the are 6note scales (hexatonic)

D Eb Gb Ab A C--D7b5 is also Ab7b5 so this scale covers both chords..the other triton scale is:

F Gb A B C Eb -- F7b5 & B7b5...

and there is more!!

so in the place of a dim chord or a 7b9 chord try some runs using any the arpeggios of these chords instead or my fave is the tritone scale is has the essence of the dim scale but its not so predictable..

hope this helps

User Info Menu

I guess I'm a little bewildered by the Javier Arau article and wonder if it's worth investing a dozen hours or so just to get my head around it. The opening post gives some interesting usage ideas in Dom, Maj and Min situations, but get the impression some people who use these pitch collections rely on them for inter key excursions in ways that might be of interest.

Basically I'm too lazy () to break it all down and am hoping that someone has decoded it in such a way as to explain how they use this knowledge. Eg- do you use it contexts such as Blues or Standards, or more for non functional harmony or modal based tunes?

User Info Menu

prince..

yes its a bit of work to see all the implications of this kind of stuff..but to me its worth it..

your question on context..for me playing over a blues progression of any kind is wonderful..as your not bound by any restrictions at all..except for resolution of course..

with standards you have to be a bit more careful..but even here..seeing a group of chords as "one" chord and playing over them with this kind of concept brings a sense of freedom in my playing that I have worked long to have..

and of course "non-functional" harmony..fusion for example..is a green light to experiment on the spot..

small example..Progression.. CMa7 Dmi7 Emi7 CMA...if I were to solo over this..I see it as one chord..CMA .. now I can use fragments from the C Aug scale..notes E Eb B Ab G Eb E..or use the E/Bb tritone scale that is embedded in the D diminished scale.. E F Ab Bb B D ... now this will sound cool over the Emi7 also as it has flat five flavors and ends on the b7th of the Emi..then I could resolve back to the tonic with the G tritone-G Ab B Db D F..with G7 flavors move right back to CMA..

User Info Menu

good information, I'll check it out.

User Info Menu

The classic Sears & Robuck bridge on "I Got Rhythm" in Bb

| D7 | D7 | G7 | G7 |
    | C7 | C7 | F7 | F7 | to Bb

Becomes:

| A-7 D7 | Eb-7 Ab7 | D-7 G7 | Ab-7 Db7 |
    | G-7 C7 | C#-7 F#7 | C-7 F7 | F#-7 B7 | to Bb

User Info Menu

With symmetrical scales you can play them whenever you want, sort of like adding a dash of special effects. You don't have to place the correctly with the underlying harmony, although you can (on a V7 chord is an obvious spot). Their symmetrical quality alone makes them listenable over most any harmony, imo. It's a simple organized way to play outside briefly. You can play "symmetrical intervals" and not have to worry about "outlining" or "associating" too much with the harmony, that over complicates the simplicity of symmetry. My favorite players use it in small tasteful doses and then come back "inside",.
    Last edited by rintincop; 09-21-2015 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

am hoping that someone has decoded it in such a way as to explain how they use this knowledge.
    Hi Princeplanet !

I opened this post.

On the advice of Wolflen,I studied for a few months the Javier Arau theory.
    I'll try to decode for you very basically the 4 principal points wich ensue from his theory,IMO.

replace a V7 by an Augmented Scale on the b9, 9+,5+ or b7 of the name of the v7 chord

take G7 play Ab Augmented Scale;you got: 11 5+ 13 T b9 3
    or play Bb Augmented Scale; you got:9+ 11+ 5 b7 7 9
    or play Eb Augmented Scale;you got:T 9+ 3 5 5+ 7
    or play F Augmented Scale;you got: 9 11 11+ 13 b7 b9
    Replace a IIm by an Augmented Scale of the same Tonic

take Dm7 ;if you play the D Augmented Scale on Dm7,you got: T b3 3 5 b6 7

a IIm chord has common extensions with the Augmented scale on the 9, b5, and b7 of the name of the chord

take a Fm chord.Play on this chord the G,B or Eb Augmented Scale;you got: 9 11 11+ 13 b7, b9

bVI major and minor are "structural chords; You can replace the 4 dominants of a Major Root (original diatonic, minor6 substitution, subdominant minor subs and tritonic subs ) by those chords or arpeggios

play Dm/Ab maj /C or Dm/Abmin/C
    You'll see that the the bVI min is ,in fact, the altered scale

cheers
    HB
    Last edited by Hyppolyte Bergamotte; 09-22-2015 at 01:55 PM.

User Info Menu

HB...thanks for the tip of the hat..

key point in symmetric harmony-don't make it more difficult than it has to be..reduce duplication and enharmonic reference

In regard to the diminished scale..There are only 3 scales C Db D..now within them are ALL diminished scales by other root names..that is for C dim-Eb Gb and A diminished are included and the notes are the same (inversions if you will).but at different starting points..so to those just beginning to study this type of theory it seems much less confusing if you apply just the C diminished nomenclature to the function.

Same logic to the remaining diminished scales

Db diminished is also E G and Bb diminished

D diminished is also F Ab and B diminished

notice that ALL twelve tones of the chromatic scale are included in these three dim scale roots - as we become more familiar with these scales and start playing them in different positions and in different inversions the root name will have a more logical reason to be used..and as we delve deeper into all the embedded chords in the diminished scale- it is a great benefit to make things less complicated to grasp a difficult concept

Now--this is my take (and some others that have explored this kind of thing..and I get some flack about it..)

The whole/half half/whole diminished scale thing...OK..the C diminished scale starting on C is called a whole/half dim scale

If it starts on B it is called a half/whole B diminished scale - this of course creates an additional 12 diminished scales and fingering and - well a lot of very confused (and frustrated players)

so NO it is NOT a B diminished scale..it is the C diminished scale - starting on the B note..(you have just reduced confusion by 12 diminished scales) suddenly the fingering/positions/inversions do NOT have to be relearned..just as starting a G major scale on F# does not change the name of the scale-it is G Major..and all the positions and inversions now are just one note away from what you already know and identify by name G major!

now apply this type of logic to the augmented scales and theory

now we have only four augmented scales C Db D Eb and the inversions of each scale
    C aug includes E and G#/Ab scales
    Db aug includes F and A
    D aug includes F# and Bb
    Eb aug includes G and B

again..note all 12 chromatic notes are included in these scales

so my suggestion is for someone just beginning to study this type of stuff use just the name of the Four aug scales to begin with..and as you become more familiar with using them and their inversions-and their names will be far easier to see the logic for doing so..it will be far less confusing in the beginning..

ok..this is just my take..you may have a very different approach..and it is just as valid..

User Info Menu

Thanks all, I can't wait to find a few spare hours to tinker with this stuff. Meanwhile, could anyone point to specific examples of it's usege in recordings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Thanks all, I can't wait to find a few spare hours to tinker with this stuff. Meanwhile, could anyone point to specific examples of it's usege in recordings?
    Herbie Hancock - Survival of the Fittest about 2:00. Freddie Hubbard plays the 3 triads lick.

There's a Wayne Shorter recording with James Spalding on alto where James plays the same lick, but I forgot which one it is.

If you check Brecker you'll come across it too, but I don't remember the titles (My roommate when I was studying had all the Brecker Cd's I only have one..)

Jens

Edit: he is called James Spaulding, and it's in the alto solo of the Soothsayer
    Last edited by JensL; 09-23-2015 at 02:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JensL
    Herbie Hancock - Survival of the Fittest about 2:00. Freddie Hubbard plays the 3 triads lick.

There's a Wayne Shorter recording with James Spalding on alto where James plays the same lick, but I forgot which one it is.

If you check Brecker you'll come across it too, but I don't remember the titles (My roommate when I was studying had all the Brecker Cd's I only have one..)

Jens

Edit: he is called James Spaulding, and it's in the alto solo of the Soothsayer
    Cool thanks. Any guitar players?

User Info Menu

Eef Albers, my old teacher, used it quite often in concerts but I don't have a recording of it.

Jens

User Info Menu

Regarding point I: are you seriously saying that when the piano player hits an altered chord, you play a scale with a natural fifth and a major seventh?

Also, John Taylor (RIP) is the guy to check out for augmented harmony. Ambleside Days for example.

User Info Menu

Progression.. CMa7 Dmi7 Emi7 CMA...if I were to solo over this..I see it as one chord..CMA .. now I can use fragments from the C Aug scale..notes E Eb B Ab G Eb E..or use the E/Bb tritone scale that is embedded in the D diminished scale.. E F Ab Bb B D ... now this will sound cool over the Emi7 also as it has flat five flavors and ends on the b7th of the Emi..
    Read a very good post relative of the use of the tritone scale for the 4 V7 dominants of the minor third Cycle and for the minor chords in the blog of saxophonist Bob Hartig !:

The Tritone Scale

HB
    Last edited by Hyppolyte Bergamotte; 09-25-2015 at 05:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    Read a very good post relative of the use of the tritone scale for the 4 V7 dominants of the minor third Cycle and for the minor chords in the blog of saxophonist Bob Hartig !:

The Tritone Scale

HB

HB

Been a fan of Hartig (Stormchaser) for years..love sax lines..the triad exercise is very cool..lots of connecting points to just about everything..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    HB

Been a fan of Hartig (Stormchaser) for years..love sax lines..the triad exercise is very cool..lots of connecting points to just about everything..
    The scale is in fact a pair of triads with no common notes so everything you know/use from that concept can be applied to it, and also the other way around, so you can use his examples on all your triad pair stuff

Jens

I've been studying this thread since about November and read the Javier Arau paper many times since then at all hours of day and night with insomnia. Is anyone from this original thread still active?

I have tons of questions and can't seem to give up...

User Info Menu

Some of us are still around ... Maybe try and ask the questions and see who responds. I still have a couple myself!

User Info Menu

I find this thread overwhelming. I see the augmented scale pattern in much simpler terms.

There are to symmetrical augmented scales. There harmonies are parallel augmented triads.
    I play it over Dominant seventh chords for that special effect.
    It is a "special effects" scale in my mind, it creates a certain mood. It gets boring quickly.
    I can use it when I want that mood during an episode of free play.