The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    Adding the m6 is to put all the chord tones on the strong beat. As a scale (prior to the harmonization), this is simply to straighten it out. It can be called a bebop scale...but ultimately I think that complicates the simplicity of it and makes it seem like a spooky, un-understandable thing that takes years and decades to grasp. It's pretty simple. In bebop, not all 8th notes are created equal. The down beat is the king and the upbeat is more like the peasant in servitude to it's king, the master. So if we're playing even eighth notes (not even like 'straight' - as opposed to swing - even like constant), the eighth notes that fall with the click of the metronome (if we're playing against quarter notes) we would want to be strong sounding notes...chord tones, resolution points, etc. If we're playing off the click, on the and of the beat...then non-chord tones, chromatic passing tones, approach notes, and tension notes work great. Of course this is an over-generalization. Great players who've internalized this sense of rhythmic melodicism can and do (did) then experiment with this and take it beyond that academic perfection of it. But it's a good goal post to head towards for people who haven't learned to feel this way.

Adding the Ab/G# lines it up so that the C6 chord tones fall on the strong beat, and the non-chord tones and chromatic passing tones fall on the and of the beat.

1: C (ROOT - STRONG BEAT)
    +: d (non chord tone - weak beat)
    2: E (3RD - STRONG BEAT)
    +: f (non chord tone - weak beat)
    3: G (5TH - STRONG BEAT)
    +: g# (non chord tone - weak beat)
    4: A (6TH - STRONG BEAT)
    +: b (non chord tone - weak beat)
    1: C (ROOT - STRONG BEAT)

It all lines up perfectly this way with the 8th notes and with filling the full four beat measure. Mix that in with the fact that all the non chord tones are a minor 3rd apart, and the magic of the Maj6/dim7 inversion kicks in. Because all odd notes are from the C6 chord and all even notes are from the related dim7 chord, when you stack the notes in 3rds to harmonize the scale, you get the symmetry of those 2 chords moving back and forth through their inversions. Brilliant little way of analyzing and creating the tonality.
    fabulous explication lemons !
    there's a lot of great stuff in there

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone like to use half dim chords as "joiners" instead of full dim? An ex- Cmaj 7 - Bm7b5 - Cmaj 7 etc up through all the inversions. Sure, the half dim doesn't "lean" as hard as the full dim, but still provides movement, but with that slightly different flavour some may prefer?

User Info Menu

I don't think the half diminished will always work. If you use the concept of borrowing from the adjacent chord and the fact that the diminished can be subbed by 4 dominant chords, the possibilities are endless. Sometimes the connector will indeed be half diminished based on what you are "borrowing"

User Info Menu

I have studied with Barry a little bit, and I just want to say this:

His scales for harmony (the major and minor 6th diminished and so on) are very much divorced in his teaching from the added note scales. To summarise:

1) Harmony is based around the 8 note scales - Major6, Minor6, 7, 7b5 - diminished.
    2) Melody is based around scales we are familiar with - major, melodic minor, dominant, chromatic, whole tone, with an emphasis on placing chord tones on the beat. This can be done with added notes in the case of stepwise motion.

The two things are pretty separate

The term 'bebop scale' comes from different theorists - David Baker, for example.

At least, that's how I understand it based on a few workshops. If Mr Kingstone or anyone disagrees with that, then I'd go with what they say ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I have studied with Barry a little bit, and I just want to say this:

His scales for harmony (the major and minor 6th diminished and so on) are very much divorced in his teaching from the added note scales. To summarise:

1) Harmony is based around the 8 note scales - Major6, Minor6, 7, 7b5 - diminished.
    2) Melody is based around scales we are familiar with - major, melodic minor, dominant, chromatic, whole tone, with an emphasis on placing chord tones on the beat. This can be done with added notes in the case of stepwise motion.

The two things are pretty separate

The term 'bebop scale' comes from different theorists - David Baker, for example.

At least, that's how I understand it based on a few workshops. If Mr Kingstone or anyone disagrees with that, then I'd go with what they say ;-)
    Studying with Barry, I'd like to know if he ever discussed the importance of tune melody. Obviously, when you understand the chord scales and understand all the possibilities with the related diminished chords, you could potentially reharm any tune to the extreme. How high of regard does he hold the notes of the melody in the tune to the chord subs/harmonizations he's substituting via his method. Would he be inclined to push the dissonances and notes that would clash, or would he always essentially obey the melody notes and work his subs around those notes?

I've also seen his vids where he calls out errors in fake/real books. So to me, it seems as if he would try to use this method to relate all subs to the melody notes and roots.

A good tune for this is all of me, because of all the dominants. You can go absolute wild with the diminished chords, but the arpeggio style melody would obviously clash with certain subs. Thanks for any info!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lordswing
    Studying with Barry, I'd like to know if he ever discussed the importance of tune melody. Obviously, when you understand the chord scales and understand all the possibilities with the related diminished chords, you could potentially reharm any tune to the extreme. How high of regard does he hold the notes of the melody in the tune to the chord subs/harmonizations he's substituting via his method. Would he be inclined to push the dissonances and notes that would clash, or would he always essentially obey the melody notes and work his subs around those notes?

I've also seen his vids where he calls out errors in fake/real books. So to me, it seems as if he would try to use this method to relate all subs to the melody notes and roots.

A good tune for this is all of me, because of all the dominants. You can go absolute wild with the diminished chords, but the arpeggio style melody would obviously clash with certain subs. Thanks for any info!
    Not sure if I'm qualified to answer this one. I'm sure Barry would urge students to check out the original versions of the songs, and isn't to keen on the 'ii-V' heavy versions in common usage today... Anyone?

User Info Menu

Absolutely! Barry spends a lot of time with singers working on melody and of course this translates to instrumental interpretation. He does however treat the singers as instruments urging them to know the Dominant Scales, Diminished Chords and Whole Tone Scales. Barry does not create dissonance for dissonance sake as far as I can tell.

User Info Menu

There was one masterclass I saw where he was talking about the importance of knowing exactly which scale every chord you play over comes from. So he was saying something to the effect of in a Bb Blues that you shouldnt play D dorian over the vi chord, that d dorian comes from C, so that D locrian is actually correct because its in Eb, (Bb7 is V). So I guess even though this diminished theory could potentially take you to any key, knowing the melody and what complements it the best is what should be the goal. This is pretty clear in his recordings.

A lot of the modern guys are stretching things so far. This theory could potentially do the same. But I guess musicality and modesty is Barry's goal with this theory. I'd love to hear him talk on this subject.

User Info Menu

There was one masterclass I saw where he was talking about the importance of knowing exactly which scale every chord you play over comes from. So he was saying something to the effect of in a Bb Blues that you shouldnt play D dorian over the vi chord, that d dorian comes from C, so that D locrian is actually correct because its in Eb, (Bb7 is V). So I guess even though this diminished theory could potentially take you to any key, knowing the melody and what complements it the best is what should be the goal. This is pretty clear in his recordings.

A lot of the modern guys are stretching things so far. This theory could potentially do the same. But I guess musicality and modesty is Barry's goal with this theory. I'd love to hear him talk on this subject.

lordswing: I highly recommend the Workshop Videos for Barry's teaching if you can't attend a class. A lifetime of study.

Barry never speaks Greek (Ionian/Dorion/Mixolydian) though he tried valiantly to speak Italian at workshops in Rome I attended. (I really relied on my ear that week).

Barry never speaks of modes.

His primary scale study is the Dominant Scale. John Coltrane visited Barry in Detroit and went away with some new ideas.

As is being alluded to elsewhere on this board, jazz is not overly complex though we tend to make it that way.

Barry's teaching is very straight forward yet with endless implications.

For instance:

Dm7b5 / G7

= Bb7 into G7 or Db7 (all Dominant Scales are a Minor Third apart)

User Info Menu

Yes I fully understand the range of possibilities dealing with dominant and diminished qualities. I see his chromatic things in the dominant scale. Is that what you're referring to as far as Coltranes studies? Or the minor thirds things?

Maybe if he comes to New Orleans I'd go to see a class. Id love to buy the DVDs but just cannot afford it. Maybe one day in the future... I have my BA in Jazz. I love that I've found this stuff. It's a great new perspective.

Martino is big on these concepts. His jazz minor scale is actually the alt scale played m3rds apart. So he plays c7alt=a7alt=eb7alt...

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso has been teaching the Barry Harris method on teaching tours with the Chris Byars/Ari Rowland band. I caught a couple of Chris&Ari's workshops on their prevoious tours (before Pasquale joined them), just by chance really!

Then I bought Alan Kingstone's book (just discovered he's on this site) , and the 2 Howard Rees books / videos, all of which I recommend to anyone interested in getting a solid musical framework for bebop.

Anyway, here's Pasquale putting this method/framework (ie the 6th diminished scale (aka bebop scale) and its chord scale) into practice.

User Info Menu

Drop 2 chord voicings by Randy Vincent is like the Barry Harris method on steroids for guitar players, plus it's well organized and easy to understand. The idea of constructing a chordal bebop major scale using alternating drop2 inversions with diminished chords is just a fraction of what's covered.

If you have not seen this book, it's worth taking a look at it. You can review the contents online at Amazon.

Jazz Guitar Voicings - Vol.1: The Drop 2 Book: Randy Vincent: 9781883217648: Amazon.com: Books

Bebop scales, chords and extensions, enclosures and chromatic approach chords, modal scales and cycles, comping lines, and how to practice them. Plus altering and tweaking scales and chords so that they can sound modern or classic.

Yes, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Music notation, tab, and cd examples.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko
    Drop 2 chord voicings by Randy Vincent is like the Barry Harris method on steroids for guitar players, plus it's well organized and easy to understand. The idea of constructing a chordal bebop major scale using alternating drop2 inversions with diminished chords is just a fraction of what's covered.

If you have not seen this book, it's worth taking a look at it. You can review the contents online at Amazon.

Jazz Guitar Voicings - Vol.1: The Drop 2 Book: Randy Vincent: 9781883217648: Amazon.com: Books

Bebop scales, chords and extensions, enclosures and chromatic approach chords, modal scales and cycles, comping lines, and how to practice them. Plus altering and tweaking scales and chords so that they can sound modern or classic.

Yes, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Music notation, tab, and cd examples.
    Have you actually studied the Barry Harris method?

The idea of constructing a chordal bebop major scale using alternating drop2 inversions with diminished chords is just a fraction of what's covered.

I'm sure the book is good.

There is a tremendous amount of disinformation and rubbish talked about the BH approach, I suppose largely because people have perhaps gone to a few workshops covering the basics but haven't been able to go further with it, and are (understandably) unwilling to cough up 100 dollars for each DVD set. They are really good and worth it IMO, but it a hefty investment.
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-11-2016 at 01:39 PM.

User Info Menu

I have all Vincent's book. All them are superb but I think that Three note voicings and beyond is the best, an absolute gem.
    The Drop 2 book is the guitar version of the Jazz Piano book by Mark Levine; it is an easier approach that does´t contents all harmonic wisdom from Harris.

We have three wonderful threads about Harris:
    Barry and Wes.
    Barry practice method.
    This one.

With a detailed reading of these one can learn a lot. Would be great to unify these contents.

User Info Menu

I did not buy his DVD set, I have watched some of his videos and read articles by other jazz educators that discuss his approach. Vincent's book appeals to me for the reasons already stated, and especially for the compact, concise, low cost book that it is.

I don't know anything about the disinformation and rubbish about his approach.

User Info Menu

I did not buy his DVD set, I have watched some of his videos and read articles by other jazz educators that discuss his approach. Vincent's book appeals to me for the reasons already stated, and especially for the compact, concise, low cost book that it is.

I don't know anything about the disinformation and rubbish about his approach.
    That's probably a bit harsh, it's not intentional disinformation.

But BH's system is pretty much a comprehensive approach to the music of the bop era. If you get into it, you can spend years exploring it, even though the core of the approach is actually pretty straightforward and practical.

The confusion between his harmonic teaching and the improvisational approach is a common misconception, and people spread a lot of disinformation unwittingly, because they haven't fully grasped how BH's teaching works.
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-11-2016 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

No harshness intended; I was focusing on harmony, not his improvisational approach.

User Info Menu

No harshness intended; I was focusing on harmony, not his improvisational approach.
    I meant I was being a bit harsh.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=jordanklemons;519108] hi Jordan sorry to raise this dont cant get what you mean by

( Because all odd notes are from the C6 chord and all even notes are from the related dim7 chord, )

are the odd notes 1 3 5 6 C E G A

and the even notes 2 4 b6 7 D F G# B

ie what are the odd notes what are the even note

thanks

D

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    ( Because all odd notes are from the C6 chord and all even notes are from the related dim7 chord, )

I think you've got it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    hi Jordan sorry to raise this dont cant get what you mean by

ie what are the odd notes what are the even note

thanks

D
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I am by no means a BH expert here. I've studied it a bit and been to a class/played with Barry a couple of times, but his method is definitely not my area of expertise. But yeah, as far as I understand it, that's the idea.

If you're seriously interested in digging deeper into his method, I'd probably recommend not taking my word though... and seeking out Barry himself or someone who's been a student of his for a long time and really 'owns' this stuff.

User Info Menu

I found these "Barry Harris Harmony Revealed" examples online. The "special scale" I recognize as Barry's chromatic scale applied to the C major scale. But I don't recognize the voicing system shown for it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rintincop; 02-09-2020 at 09:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I have never seen Barry teach this scale harmonically, but I just tried and it works well. I played it 3 note voicings. I got the concept and moved it up the scale on my own, so I don’t know if that document is correct. Cool concept though.

User Info Menu

I think the author has misinterpreted the meaning of drop 3. In a close-voiced triad the 3rd from the top would be the root... which is silly because there is no mechanical benefit to doing that. I would call what I see in the transcription 2nd inversion triads.

User Info Menu

Isn't he simply harmonizing each step of Barry's chromatic scale? Each of the four voices follows Barry's rule for C chromatic. He starts with a 2nd inversion C6 and in the first measure:

Soprano: c c# d d#
    Alto: a a# b d (as per the rule)
    Tenor: e g (as per the rule) f f#
    Bass: g g# a a#

What am I missing?