The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is the right area for this or not. So here goes
    Hello there I need some help with the Melodic minor and Major scale

I just started learning theory and not playing by ear so.

Could some one possible tab out the major scale in A and list the intervals.

the intervals for the pentatonic major minor in A as well as the Melodic minor scale?

Any help would be appreciated.

so intervals would be major 2nd major 3rd ect.. perfect 4th & 5th major 6th and 7thn then octave.

Anyways that's my homework for the next two days so any help would be appreciated.

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The intervals for the major scale are:

R M2 M3 P4 P5 M6 M7 R

Melodic Minor is

R M2 m3 P4 P5 M6 M7 R

Major Pentatonic is:

R M2 M3 P5 P6 R

Minor Pentatonic is:

R m3 P4 P5 m7 R

MW

User Info Menu

R?? I'm not exactly sure I follow you on that. I was hoping for like 2nd 2rd 4th 5th ect..

MW? lol maybe a lil bit of an elboration lol thanks though for your help so far. very kind of you ^_^

User Info Menu

oh wait I get it Root LMAO sorry.. could anyone tab this out? lmao I missed that Root lol

User Info Menu

I think it would be very beneficial if you tried to find these notes on the guitar first. I'll write them out in A for you to help you get started. If you are having trouble I can write out the tab no problem. There are 12 ways, at least, to play the basic fingerings of these scales so just pick one you like and start there!

A Major: A B C# D E F# G#

A Melodic Minor: A B C D E F# G# A

A Major Pent: A B C# E F# A

A Minor Pent: A C D E G A

MW

User Info Menu

Go to the Lessons section on this site and the first section on scales. Click on the section entitled 'Modes'. Go through the material slowly and learn it thoroughly. Modes are essential to creating the jazz sound, 'Jazz scales are not really different from scales in other music, it's only the way that they are used that makes the difference in sound and feel' (first paragraph). Learn the modes of the Major scale first. Learn them in C so you won't have to contend with sharps or flats making it easier to memorise some fundamentals, like major and minor intervals.
    Chok dee krap!

User Info Menu

The intervals I was given as a study tool the scale its self is irrelevant. but just the homework I had. I don't need work in scales but in understanding the intervals. I however just lost my scale book. So I needed those scales anyways.

So I'm having lots of troubling trying to find out stuff in each scale.. how do I tell if its a minor 2nd or a major 2nd? Using those scales I provided does anyone have a further explanation? On how the intervals work. Cuz I need to be able to name them in chords as well as the scales them self's.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks ^_^

User Info Menu

Check out this book, this is how I learned all the basics of music theory. The cool thing is for each concept there are PAGES of exercises for you to do in order to get better at understanding each concept.

Amazon.com: Elementary Rudiments of Music: Barbara Wharram, Kathleen Wood: Books

MW

User Info Menu

If you go to this site:

Cyberfret.com: Guitar chord, scale, and arpeggio finder

you'll find a codex that will diagram all the notes, intervals, and patterns on a virtual fretboard for just about any chord, scale, mode, etc. you'll be interested in, in any key.

It does sound like you need to read some chord construction and scale harmony theory either on-line or from a book, such as Matt has recommended, but this codex will answer all your questions related to what intervals each scale represents against the root in question, where the notes lie on the fretboard, etc.

By the way, don't get frustrated with this stuff. It doesn't take long to get the concepts of music theory. But to learn scales and arps and how to harmonize them and all that so that you can play them all up and down the neck in all positions and use them to improvise, etc., takes a few years. It's not something you can cram in six months if you are starting from scratch. But everyone learns at a different pace, and it sounds like you have a good ear, which is without a doubt the most important thing to have for playing music. Communicating with others, arranging and composing music, though - that's where you need to know the theory.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help so far Yeah I have a good ear I don't have problems with the scales them selfs I know many of them.. its just understanding the intervals.

How do I figure out which one is a minor or major. Is there formula to do this with out knowing it all by heart?

example is in the pentatonic minor. A on the E string A on the 5th fret is A major 2nd.. how do I tell what the next note in the scale will be? What interval is it. I know its a full tone and a semi tone .. so does that make it a minor 3rd?

This is what is confusing the hell out of me.

User Info Menu

starting on G 3rd fret/6th string, for example, A would be the M2 (major 2nd) and G#/Ab would be the m2 (minor 2nd), B would be the M3 (major 3rd) and A#/Bb would be the m3 (minor 3rd) in relation to G as the R (root).

1 Root C
    2 Minor 2nd C#/Db
    3 Major 2nd D
    4 Minor 3rd D#/Eb
    5 Major 3rd, E
    6 Perfect 4th F
    7 Augmented 4th/Diminished 5th F#/Gb
    8 Perfect 5th G
    9 Augmented 5th/Minor 6th G#/Ab
    10 Major 6th A
    11 Minor 7th A#/Bb
    12 Major 7th B

there's a table with the intervals mapped out in the key of C, the numbers are the semitones, then the name and finally the notes. to figure out which one is major,minor or perfect you count the semitones (or steps), i think the tricky part is knowing when a 3rd or 6th is diminished or augmented, i believe that's dictated by the context.

i hope that's all good, 'cause i know all that and i can understand it, but i'm really (and i mean really) bad at explaining stuff. if anything is wrong, i'm sure one of the more experienced fellas here can correct it.

hope it helps!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goofsus4
    If you go to this site:

Cyberfret.com: Guitar chord, scale, and arpeggio finder

you'll find a codex that will diagram all the notes, intervals, and patterns on a virtual fretboard for just about any chord, scale, mode, etc. you'll be interested in, in any key.

It does sound like you need to read some chord construction and scale harmony theory either on-line or from a book, such as Matt has recommended, but this codex will answer all your questions related to what intervals each scale represents against the root in question, where the notes lie on the fretboard, etc.

By the way, don't get frustrated with this stuff. It doesn't take long to get the concepts of music theory. But to learn scales and arps and how to harmonize them and all that so that you can play them all up and down the neck in all positions and use them to improvise, etc., takes a few years. It's not something you can cram in six months if you are starting from scratch. But everyone learns at a different pace, and it sounds like you have a good ear, which is without a doubt the most important thing to have for playing music. Communicating with others, arranging and composing music, though - that's where you need to know the theory.
    it did not work sir the thing required a download that did not work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angent569
    it did not work sir the thing required a download that did not work
    the codex is a java app, you need the java runtime environment perhaps? or maybe you have an old version of it, i have version 6.0 and it works fine in my computer.

User Info Menu

That codex is actually linked to this site as well:

Guitar Chord Finder | Guitar Scales

Here's another option I just found on the web, but I can't figure out how to make it show me intervals, just the notes/patterns, but if nothing else works:

GUITAR SCALES

Band-in-a-Box will also provide this kind of information, although you would need to purchase it. But it's great software, especially for training improvisation because it will comp for you while you solo endlessly.

PG Music Inc. - Band-in-a-Box, PowerTracks Pro Audio, and More...

Or, once you get this interval business understood, you can then just digaram out all your own scale patterns, which is by far the most productive way to learn this stuff. Just do a web search, or check a book, etc. for the intervallic formula for any scale you are interested in, then diagram it out on graph paper (or an electronic spreadsheet is best).

User Info Menu

Thanks alot guys for all the help

User Info Menu

Hi all, I was browsing around the web when I found this thread, looks like a really great forum.
    I play guitar, mostly things I have made up over the past 20 or so years.
    My music all sounds strange and jazzy, I like things which aren't all the same if you know what I mean.

After passing through, I once again immersed myself in accessing international information channels; the way one does - then happened across a scale finder and mapper... I thought of all of you. this forum, I needed to let you all know.

It lets you tune your guitar the way you like, it does 6 and 4 strings, in fact it's the whole hallelujah and degrees! + then some, it even prints nice uncluttered pages which means peace and serenity : focus.

I myself need to be more random so I put angent569 as my referrer, this potentially means they get a forum prize or something.

scale printer

It starts off being 4 strings so press the button and select 6 strings , you are all set. the tabs are where the other controls are, the rest is pretty self explanatory.
    Have fun folks, going to see what other knots of woven intellect I can find in these threads.
    Last edited by marsCubed; 03-31-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: messed up the link

User Info Menu

I think you are getting in your own way a bit.
    You seem to think you are a bit more developed than you are because you learned some scale paterns. Rather than advancing on that go back a bit and learn to understand the major scale in the way Matt suggested.
    After that come back to this and it will make sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
    I think you are getting in your own way a bit.
    You seem to think you are a bit more developed than you are because you learned some scale paterns. Rather than advancing on that go back a bit and learn to understand the major scale in the way Matt suggested.
    After that come back to this and it will make sense.
    I didn't mean to imply that I was a great guitarist Joe, I try to learn anything and everything I can which seems interesting to me at the time.
    Sometimes scales are a vehicle to great things, as they are for me now, at other times it is working one's way through some sheet music where one finds a breakthrough.

Like many people I started with classical music, and have spent half a lifetime exploring how to be fluent in other forms, and like most, there are many guitarists I dream I could play like.

BTW, If you didn't reply to me Joe, then sorry if I quoted you back, I am new to this forum and not sure what getting an email actually means yet.
    Last edited by marsCubed; 04-01-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: the bit about getting an email from the forum.

User Info Menu

Haha, no I was replying to angent.
    Not as an attack or derogative statement just an observation I see a lot.
    Knowing something doesn't help you much as a musician, only understanding it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
    Haha, no I was replying to angent.
    Not as an attack or derogative statement just an observation I see a lot.
    Knowing something doesn't help you much as a musician, only understanding it.
    totally agree with you man, same principle goes with life