The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Something of this ilk occurs in Happy Birthday. In C, over the F major chord, the melody note is a B, giving a very b5 sound. I've never seen it notated as Fb5 though :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Something of this ilk occurs in Happy Birthday. In C, over the F major chord, the melody note is a B, giving a very b5 sound. I've never seen it notated as Fb5 though :-)
    #11 man, or don't you play a hip Happy Birthday?

User Info Menu

usually in a group of people singing happy birthday I'll try to match them with bitonal centers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Bert Ligon teaches embellishment of 3 note triads as a starting point for line playing as well. Connects earlier forms etc. No problem with that necessarily. But when you're talking HARMONY, I'd think you're talking 6th/7th chords as the basis, with something like triads as maybe an APPROACH to that.
    Ligon teaches that? Interesting. Sensible chap:-)

Yeah I dunno... But, there is no doubt that pre-60s comping musicians often favoured 6th chords or pure triads over 7ths - depends from player to player.

IMO there's a massive difference between an extended dominant chord and an extended major or minor chord.... Apples and Oranges. The 7th in a dom7 chord for instance has a very different function to the 7th in a maj7 or even a min 7. Which relates to one of your other points below...

But comping is very distinct from lines and the generalised idea of harmony - there's different styles of comping. Some people want to learn only prewar jazz. Others want to learn modern jazz... 1 3 7 grips seem a good shout, and it's the first thing I was taught. (By Dave Cliff who I also remember telling me 6th chords were a bit corny. But that's an aesthetic thing, right?)

If I teach someone learning gypsy jazz plays rhythm with all 7th chords they are going to get dirty looks on the stand, OTOH. But, if you play a seventh chord or imply one in a line, no problem! (Except maybe min7 on I, that sound can work, but m6, m or even m(maj7) is a safer bet. On IVm, fine.)

Context... Boppers, 7ths for grips but maybe the BH stuff later. ATM.

I don't really know how to go back and start over mentally , "unlearn" what I did before. not sure where my prejudices are more defined by what I DID than what's best. By the time I got to thinking about things in terms of triads I already knew the seventh chord arpeggios , and I mostly use them as a fingering basis for things, even when pairing back, at least for jazz. (I do a lot with triads outside jazz and strangle think slightly differently about them - kinesthetically and musically.)
    I feel the way I learned was a little inflexible, meant I effectively had to relearn a lot of stuff to play earlier styles, but once I had learned those earlier styles I could see that the later styles made more sense! So I felt like I learned all backwards.

But more information = better anyway. If you already know stuff, learn more stuff. Obviously.

If a student knows 7th chords I teach triads, if they know triads, I teach 7ths and triad superpositions and everything up from there. If they know nothing, I teach triads first.

There's kind of a chicken egg thing for me with leaving out the seventh in targeting things through the cycle. You end up playing the seventh by default, when you target the third of the next chord . I mean are you merely "already on" the next chord , or are you adding sevenths to the previous? Doesn't matter in the end I guess , but I don't really know how to think about it as "from the beginning".

I'd be curious to know how you teach your students to target thirds when cycling like that. To me, seventh chord fingerings a fifth above provide the fingering mostly , but I'm not TEACHING jazz. Not sure if that's more of a "just the way I learned it" thing more.
    See my comments on dom 7's.

Yeah, in practice if you enclose a third in that way (using the 4-3 resolution so to speak) you are turning the previous chord into a secondary dominant seventh, which is significant, because this sub also govern the construction of jazz walking basslines - (7-1) so I see this as a fundamental thing to grasp. The two things are flipsides of the same thing of course, and this can easily be understood on one guitar...

Classical stuff, anyway.

But the guide tones on all diatonic 7th chords? Not so much. It's a subset of voice leading, and cool, but not as essential as the V7-I resolution or some of the other stuff.

But I've also spent a couple of years thinking about the fact that that kind of targeting can also be thought of harmonically, and therefore e"xtended back" from the basic target notes I might have started with.
    YES!

(I've actually spent the last week or so working on chromatic passing tone approaches based on those old Jimmy Amadie patterns I learned a long time ago. You can basically use them in a major context or altered etc. If you apply those halfstep principles. sort of has a foot in both sides of things: embellishment , but based in a harmonic context. Anyway, at the same time, accidentally stumbled upon something on Barry Harris's chromatic scale principles, and they're basically the same thing. These are really nice approaches which work very solidly in harmonic and rhythmic ways. Another thread probably.)

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    It's nothing new of course. Just listen to Mozart....

So really I advocate 'classical harmony' into jazz I guess... Obviously not all jazz harmony is classical, but AFAIK all 'local' common practice classical harmony is found in jazz. And that's even before we get into the influence of Ravel and Debussy.

It might be worth pointing out Barry's statement 'the harmony is classical.' When he says that it's not just pie in the sky. Those Detroit musicians, Paul Chambers, Tommy Flanagan etc all had actually a strong background playing classical music at school. They might not have known the harmonic theory but they knew how that music sounded, which is actually more important...

And I might not use the same language as a classical academic, because the point is hands on info, but I start with those sounds. With a bit of blues, it goes a long way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    #11 man, or don't you play a hip Happy Birthday?
    Nope.

Anyway, #11's is for pansies

User Info Menu

Nope.

Anyway, #11's is for pansies
    In that case, here are Maj7#11 chords that include the fifth. Fun for chord melodies, or general mincing.

FMaj7#11: 13220x
    FMaj7#11: 13x200

I like minor second intervals, too:

FMaj7#11: xx2415

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

FMaj7#11: xx2415
    Pull the other one.

User Info Menu

Pull the other one.
    BDLH got big hands. You can always play it further up the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ligon teaches that? Interesting. Sensible chap:-)
    But comping is very distinct from lines and the generalised idea of harmony - there's different styles of comping. Some people want to learn only prewar jazz. Others want to learn modern jazz... 1 3 7 grips seem a good shout, and it's the first thing I was taught. (By Dave Cliff who I also remember telling me 6th chords were a bit corny. But that's an aesthetic thing, right?)

If I teach someone learning gypsy jazz plays rhythm with all 7th chords they are going to get dirty looks on the stand, OTOH. But, if you play a seventh chord or imply one in a line, no problem! (Except maybe min7 on I, that sound can work, but m6, m or even m(maj7) is a safer bet. On IVm, fine.)

Context... Boppers, 7ths for grips but maybe the BH stuff later. ATM.
    Classical stuff, anyway.
    I always find myself confused by conversations like this one, presumably because I never studied harmony in any structured way.

So, my takes on these things may be overly simplistic.

I started with 7th chords and I would teach it that way still. When you look at a chart of any jazz tune, you're likely to be looking at 7th chords with alterations.

For soloing, I may be missing both the big picture and the details. But, for me, thinking about arps or triads, or, heaven forbid, scales or modes, means I'm likely to be in trouble. The idea is to think of a nice melody that fits the harmony. If I'm thinking about a previously practiced triad, arp, scale or mode, then I'm forcing the melody to be something else. I'm aware that others think differently.

But, if I can't hear the tune well in my mind, I may use various devices to try to play something decent. For that, I see and hear value in all the approaches.

I confess that I have occasionally read somebody's explanation of how they think about soloing and have been thoroughly confused -- and then, when I hear a clip, I feel like I can understand it using the limited tools I have.