The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you use the Coltrane change in your soloing ?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, pretty often

13 13.54%
  • Well, sometimes...

23 23.96%
  • Not at all

34 35.42%
  • The what ?

21 21.88%
  • F**k theory !

5 5.21%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 78
    Hi all,

thanks for all your answers, I see it can be an effective tool to improvise if you can hear it. In a book from Corey Christiansen, it explains it can be used over major ii-V-I-I (each chord during one measure, two measures of I at the end) in this way :

| iim7 - bIII7 | bIV7M - VII7 | III7M - V7 | I |

so in C : | Dm7 - Eb7 | Ab7M - B7 | E7M - G7 | C7M |
    instead of : | Dm7 | G7 | C7M | C7M |

Used like this, you resolve upon C on the very last measure, which gives a pretty hip sound according to Corey. The melodic examples he gives sounds nice but the rhythm section follow the modified chord changes, and the few examples I tried with a regular ii-V-I section didn't sound really good to my ears...

So I was wondering : do some of you use the "Coltrane change" described by Corey (for ex. on a gig where rhythm section keeps straight) ?

peace
    Guelda

PS : By the way, the "Giant Steps" in-depth study by Joe Diorio is great, full of interesting ideas, what a musician !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guelda
    Hi all,

just for curiosity, does anyone of you use in his (hers) soloing the concept of Coltrane change please ? I mean really use, because I guess a lot of us have heard about it, tried some exercises and stuff, but do you use it ?

peace
    Guelda
    This came up recently. There's a nice depiction in Widipedia, replete with equilateral triangle within the Circle of 5ths.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

thanks for all your answers, I see it can be an effective tool to improvise if you can hear it. In a book from Corey Christiansen, it explains it can be used over major ii-V-I-I (each chord during one measure, two measures of I at the end) in this way :

Used like this, you resolve upon C on the very last measure, which gives a pretty hip sound according to Corey. The melodic examples he gives sounds nice but the rhythm section follow the modified chord changes, and the few examples I tried with a regular ii-V-I section didn't sound really good to my ears...

So I was wondering : do some of you use the "Coltrane change" described by Corey (for ex. on a gig where rhythm section keeps straight) ?

peace
    Guelda

PS : By the way, the "Giant Steps" in-depth study by Joe Diorio is great, full of interesting ideas, what a musician !

The Joe Diorio book is just beyond me technically. His II-V-I lines have unison stretches in there that I can't even reach with a sixth finger sometimes. The Corey Christianson stuff is very good. He gets you learning those changes in all keys and applying all sorts of digital patterns over them. It gives you some concrete place to start and a practicing regimen. After a while, it starts to get into your ears and then you might apply in over some simple tunes like Tune Up, etc... Then he takes you through Giant Steps, which is just one application in three key centers.

User Info Menu

Here's a pretty good article by Jim Bastian.

Jazz Exercise: Countdown - Premier Guitar

Hi all,

peace
    Guelda

I also devote a section in my book, Gateway to Guitar Improvisation, calling it "Countdownians." There I demonstrate create lines through the said progression.

-TD

Talk about analyzing Giant Steps! I found this on the net. Wow - finally someone who looks at improvisation exactly like I do...........

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...ted/dmfetd.pdf

User Info Menu

Markov chains and deep structural analysis of the combinatorial asymptoptic asmosis.

Jesus Christ, that's the sort of thing that made me abandon my nightmarish journey into the world of computer science and math and go BACK into music in the first place. I REFUSE to read it under pain of waterboarding. Period. If jazz becomes all about that, I will then switch to simple blues or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwingSwangSwung
    Talk about analyzing Giant Steps! I found this on the net. Wow - finally someone who looks at improvisation exactly like I do...........

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...ted/dmfetd.pdf
    There's 92 pages of that cr@p??

+1 on Franco's comment - throw it away and play the tune, then change it slightly, then change it slightly more. That's jazz enough for me, buddy!

Anything more than that, I'll play a blues. Over everything.

What a great document ! I can't wait to read it !
    ...well, I guess I'll have to take some maths lessons before, it looks
    tough !

There must be a lot of such thesis, this one looks quite "clear" but
    I agree this kind of analysis shouldn't replace the ear.

peace

User Info Menu

I wonder if john Cotrane was wrapped in all this rocket science, if he was
    no wonder he went modal,it's easier,is'nt it?. When all else fails we've still
    got the blue's..LG..

I actually think that that kind of analysis of jazz is a very interesting viewpoint to have; to me, it shows just how amazing jazz soloists are when compared to computers; it shows that they can't be replaced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larry graves
    I wonder if john Cotrane was wrapped in all this rocket science, if he was
    no wonder he went modal,it's easier,is'nt it?. When all else fails we've still
    got the blue's..LG..

Not necessarily easier, just different. Easier to "hear" certainly, IMO. Anyway, for a musician of the level of Coltrane, I think he probably just tired of the "change running", harmonic exploration and, under the influence of Indian and African music, wanted to try more melodic and rhytmtic experimentation. The "modal" allows more space and time for that, and then the free stuff even more so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    I actually think that that kind of analysis of jazz is a very interesting viewpoint to have; to me, it shows just how amazing jazz soloists are when compared to computers; it shows that they can't be replaced.

Fair point. It is useful in its academic way.

User Info Menu

Free is right, Coltrane went so free that nobody could play with him, except a couple of drummers. If he had lived I wonder how free he would
    have become?. Is there a limit before you vanish in a puff of smoke?.
    It would be great to just pick up the guitar and make it all up as you go
    along__ 'Is there an audience out there?.. It can be a cop out though for
    some--Noise guitar etc...

Flatwounds are the best ar--round
    Last edited by larry graves; 11-20-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Left something out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by franco6719
    Markov chains and deep structural analysis of the combinatorial asymptoptic asmosis.

Jesus Christ, that's the sort of thing that made me abandon my nightmarish journey into the world of computer science and math and go BACK into music in the first place. I REFUSE to read it under pain of waterboarding. Period. If jazz becomes all about that, I will then switch to simple blues or something.
    Giant steps--great song, anyone know the words?..

User Info Menu

Giant steps--great song, anyone know the words?..
    Giant steps in giant shoes:

Actually, many people have had a go at setting lyrics to Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

I have never in all of my born days, think I'd live to see a thread on a JAZZ site, that goes on and on hacking on the Coltrane changes. And Coltrane. I mean, just, wow.....

User Info Menu

Coltrane basic changes in G. Ami7-Bb7-Ebmaj7-F#7-Bmaj7-D7-Gma7. It's that simple. Fusion! what's that? Rock and roll, without the rock!..Larry G.
    Last edited by larry graves; 04-21-2010 at 02:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Fusion! what's that? Rock and roll, without the rock!..Larry G.
    LOL...roll and roll....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr
    I have never in all of my born days, think I'd live to see a thread on a JAZZ site, that goes on and on hacking on the Coltrane changes. And Coltrane. I mean, just, wow.....
    Is that a bad or good thing? Oh, "hacking" means babbling or something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by franco6719
    Is that a bad or good thing? Oh, "hacking" means babbling or something?
    "Hacking" is southern slang for verbally putting someone or something down, or speaking negatively about someone.

And after reading the negative comments here, I am just stunned. Coltrane was one of the jazz language's greatest innovators. And his playing is alternately beautiful, sensitive and sublime, as well as intense, physical and bold.

To me, some of these comments here about Coltrane are like saying that Wes played like a wimp.

Just crazy......

User Info Menu

Oh, I agree completely. Coltrane was THE greatest improviser of the 20th century (if not the greatest and most creative musician) in my opinion. There are, of course, a lot of petty whiners in the world of jazz, as in all sectors of the world, who like to tear down things that they cannot even come close to beginning to fathom. What else can be said?

User Info Menu

i use the first five notes and five chords in giant steps as an exercise and use as many positions. chord inversions and keys as possible...a great way to do a fretboard intensive...

every now and then i can use part of it in a structured song...but i can use most of it in alot of solo work...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    John McLaughlin does "Do you hear the voices you left behind?" on his ELectric Guitarist Album.

They probably would become more useful if you streched them out to be a measure a piece rather than two beats
    Just listened to this thing...the bassist is nuts man! Wtf. haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FattMusiek
    Just listened to this thing...the bassist is nuts man! Wtf. haha
    The bassist on "Do You Hear the Voices You Left Behind?" on John McLaughlin's Electric Guitarist album is Stanley Clarke. I thought it might be Jack Bruce who however is the bassist and provides vocals on "Are Yew the Wan?" on the same album,

William