Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Yep, that's all good, Jon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    Is there anything wrong with just start with a mixolydian scale and making sure you add a b9? To me that's easy and let's me think more about chord tones and how it sounds than if I try and get too complicated about it.
    Well, if C7b9 is resolving to Fmin, the Anat in C mixoydian is going to sound "F major". In this setting, thinking "F harmonic minor" over C7b9 doesn't seem any harder than thinking "C mixo with a b9".

And what's really wrong in jazz? Besides Hawaiian shirts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    And what's really wrong in jazz? Besides Hawaiian shirts.
    Damn, my jazz group is called "The Hawaiian Shirts". Should I change the name? We just signed contracts and everything....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Damn, my jazz group is called "The Hawaiian Shirts". Should I change the name? We just signed contracts and everything....

Generally Hawaiian shirts are considered "avoid" shirts but they can work in the right context if you are careful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    Generally Hawaiian shirts are considered "avoid" shirts but they can work in the right context if you are careful.
    Yeah right, that's what I thought - "outside" shirts! We like to play outside.
    The crowds demand it: "why don't you go and play outside!"

"Less is more", we say. And they agree: "We like it when you play less". In fact, John Cage's "4:33" is one of our most popular requests. (Still not sure what the best scales are for that one though...)

User Info Menu

I've been using a few choice triads that sound good to my ears.

Over C7b9 or C13b9, try these two little beauties:

Amin triad = A C E
    Bbmin triad = Bb Db F

As well as sounding great, they have the distinct advantage of not having the 5th (G), if that's what the music needs.

Enjoy
    Guy
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 11-22-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Advantage of not having the 5th (G)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Balalaika
    I know the basic rule of scale playing over the chord--find a scale that contain all the chord tones--however, I still find it hard to do. There are 7 modes of major scale as follows and it only covers parts of chords, we still got lots of chords left. Say 7b9 chord, then I can't find a sacle that have Db and E note together.

I Ionian mode C D E F G A B C (associated with C Major 7 chord)
    ii Dorian mode C D E♭ F G A B♭ C (associated with C-6 or C-7 13 chord)
    iii Phrygian mode C D♭ E♭ F G A♭ B♭ C (associated with Csus4 ♭9)
    IV Lydian mode C D E F♯ G A B C (associated with C Maj7 ♯11 chord)
    V Mixolydian mode C D E F G A B♭ C (associated with C7 chord)
    vi Aeolian mode C D E♭ F G A♭ B♭ C (associated with C-7 ♭13 chord)
    viiø Locrian mode C D♭ E♭ F G♭ A♭ B♭ C (associated with C-7♭5 chord)
    There are some scales that can be used for this chord. I will share with you my personal favorites.
    Why don’t you play phrases by just using chord tones with some chromaticism. The chord tones are R-3-5-b7-b9. You can start thinking of 7b9 chords as Diminished seventh chords a step up.
    As far as scales you can use the 5th mode of the Harmonic Minor Scale. Mixolydian b9,b13.
    R-b9-3-11-5-b13-b7