The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32
    I didn't see it in the lessons section. I think Jazz Advice has a good article. Possibly contentious but interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ffs work it out yourself.

You’ll remember better.
    Yeah. It's a fair point that if you can't work it out yourself pretty easily, it's probably of little benefit to find it online anyway.

To the OP, I'd ask if you can easily write out major scale chords in G for example? If you can do that , rewrite them in order, starting from the vi (Em), but make that your new i- chord for minor. That's natural minor.

Next, raise the seventh (to D#), and rewrite your other chord qualities which are changed by that accidental.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If the topic was about diatonic, why the talk about harmonic&melodic minors? I mean, the diatonic scale has 3 minor modes. And the "diatonic chords" ain't anything else than stacked 3rds built from their proper scale degrees or..? Hm, "Take five" - all natural and diatonic except the ending of the B part for spice.

User Info Menu

Diatonic and chromatic - Wikipedia

'Very often, diatonic refers to musical elements derived from the modes and transpositions of the "white note scale" C–D–E–F–G–A–B.[4] In some usages it includes all forms of heptatonic scale that are in common use in Western music (the major, and all forms of the minor).'

So it could mean only Aeolian (Natural Minor) or all the Minor scales depending on who you are talking to.

FWIW, I would include the harmonic minor because chords of harmonic minor are so common in, like, music, it seems silly not to.

I suppose you may as well throw in the melodic minor because Bach used it for chords, at that.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I thought I've missed something. That "some uses" just complicated my life... or rather - today I found out its more complicated than it seemed... gosh.

User Info Menu

Nothing is ever unanimous in music lol

User Info Menu

I'm beginning to think Gmo posted this abc-level-anybody-can-google-it-in-three-seconds question just to see how many pages it would run to. For a laugh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm beginning to think Gmo posted this abc-level-anybody-can-google-it-in-three-seconds question just to see how many pages it would run to. For a laugh.
    Yeah, and he's been laughing for six years...