The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Tom IBarra is a young jazz picker..he has videos doing promos for Ibanez playing a 335 clone... can anyone tell me what tuning he is in on those videos...it doesnt look like standard..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 995
    Tom IBarra is a young jazz picker..he has videos doing promos for Ibanez playing a 335 clone... can anyone tell me what tuning he is in on those videos...it doesnt look like standard..
    Link? I just watched one, playing a 335-ish model, sure looked like standard.

Good young player.

User Info Menu

I think its something different....he plays Exactly like I like to listen ....totally ...
    maybe someone who does fusion like that can chime in.... maybe its a drop the E thing or maybe DADGAD
    Last edited by 995; 03-03-2020 at 06:36 PM. Reason: edit

User Info Menu

A new name to me. He could already really play by the time he was 15:

User Info Menu

Standard tuning. I just played along with some of his videos, and I was matching his left hand.

User Info Menu

rather thn start another thread..... does Metheny use standard tuning on his electrics??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 995
    rather thn start another thread..... does Metheny use standard tuning on his electrics??
    Yes.

He does play a Baritone Acoustic on "One Quiet Night" which is tuned to the regular intervals of standard tuning, but down to A and then the middle strings are up an octave. But the intervals are still "standard."

In the early days of the PMG, he'd have an electric 12 string around for some tunes, might not have been in standard. It was used for stuff like the harmonics in "San Lorenzo"

The "Phase Dance" intro is Nashville tuned, again, octave shifts, but standard intervals.
    Alternate tunings are pretty uncommon in jazz, the few people who I can think of who DID tune differently than standard ALWAYS tuned that way. So basically, in jazz, you pick a tuning and stick with it...can't afford to have the notes moving around on ya

User Info Menu

What are your favourite alternate tunings?
    I find I get bored playing the same licks and chord shapes. Alternate tunings force me to play different chord shapes and patterns. From these new voicings new song ideas often spring forth.
    My go to tunings are open d flat or double drop d. But I'm always looking for new alternatives to experiment with.

User Info Menu

My favorite 'alternate tuning' is the one I always play in. Starting from lowest to highest:

E B D G B Eb

Fortunately or unfortunately I've used this tuning and only this tuning since I taught myself to play guitar at age 13. To me at that time having a 5th interval at the bottom instead of a fourth just seemed more logical (no need to mute the A string for a barred minor). The flattened E string gave me easier access as a kid to more complex-sounding chords. For example a barred major chord such as G becomes an Em7add9/G or a GM13.

Been playing exclusively in this tuning for almost 50 years...too late to turn back now ;-)

User Info Menu

DADFAD and standard with the A down an octave. Down-tuning in general.

User Info Menu

As someone who loves piano-like close voicing chords, I came up with my own tuning (DAEGAB) in 1995, while sitting at the piano with a guitar on my lap, and have been developing it since. Obviously, I eventually had to make a definite choice in order to avoid confusion, and decided to make it my "one and only tuning". I fell in love with this tuning and, hence, I eventually had to give up Standard Tuning (I had been playing guitar for 20 years!), had to "remap" the whole fretboard (etc. etc. etc.), forget the old and learn the new.
    I'm not a real, "pro" youtuber (infact I'm very little active on youtube and social media in general), but, if curious, you can checkout my demoing the tuning on my channel. Cheers everyone, Francesco.

Last edited by frabarmus; 04-21-2023 at 12:25 PM.