The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 65 of 65

User Info Menu

I've been throwing in the PDF on CDR with hard-copy sales. I'll be making a coupon for a free DL that will be in each book I ship in the future. Anybody who picked up a hard-copy is welcome to email me for the e-book. Just pop me a sales receipt.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I revised a typo on pg 54 on MM modes. I had one to many "b"s. oops.

The DL is now for a <50 MB PDF with the revised page. All's well!

User Info Menu

Been a bit busy lately. I read the rest of the book on a couple of extended flights today ... business trip. This stuff is great. Only downside is I won't have a guitar in my hand until this weekend. kudos!
    Last edited by doveman; 01-25-2012 at 01:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doveman
    Been a bit bust lately. I read the rest of the book on a couple of extended flights today ... business trip. This stuff is great. Only downside is I won't have a guitar in my hand until this weekend. kudos!
    Way cool! Let me know how you do once your axe is in hand!

User Info Menu

I am enclosing a little coupon inside each book I ship to buyers from the Amazon Marketplace to get a free DL of the e-book via e-mail with a unique code.

On a related note, I no longer will be supplying Amazon any books for their warehouse to fulfill (sorry to users that go for Prime and super-saver shipping. The Advantage program took a HUGE chunk of the sale price and lost a lot of my inventory without compensation, so it has become too expensive for me to continue.

My site is the best way to buy, though the Amazon Marketplace is also ok (I fulfill the orders when you buy "new" from JonnyPac).

Thanks again for all of the support here.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your order, wiz. I hope you dig it!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey Jonny, just ordered your book via paypal from your site. I don't know how I missed this thread before.
    I read Matt Warnock's review in Just Jazz Guitar and decided to order.

Thanks for putting this together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dookychase
    Hey Jonny, just ordered your book via paypal from your site. I don't know how I missed this thread before.
    I read Matt Warnock's review in Just Jazz Guitar and decided to order.

Thanks for putting this together.
    Thanks a lot! Let me know what you think when it gets there. Also email me for the e-book- I'll send it no charge. It's 19MB and most commercial email (gmail, aol, hotmail, etc) accept files of that size.

Best wishes!

User Info Menu

Here are two new pages:

And the new Amazon/blog blurb:

"I first released what I now call the "beta version" of Chord-Scale Theory and Linear Harmony for Guitar in late 2010. It was based on over a decade of private study and self-education. I created and compiled many diagrams and charts for myself and my students that illustrated various ways of thinking about the fretboard that allow for both a deep understanding of the underlying elements, and some useful tips for "thinking on the fly" in improvisation-based situations.

I found that the central concepts of "chord-scale theory" are not only applicable to jazz, but most current genres (rock, pop, indie, folk, country, etc). Therefore, I consider chord-scale theory to be as much of a "rock theory" or "country theory" as it is a "jazz theory" (from which it was originally based). Chord-scale theory has no particular "sound" of its own, yet it can be employed to create (or recreate) the characteristic sounds of any modern genre. As a compositional tool, it can be a very inspiring approach with which one can create progressions, arrangements, and complete songs in functional or modal frameworks. As an improvisational tool, it allows for one to think of "pools of notes" (and subsequent tonal hierarchies) from which one can readily choose the "right" notes and voicings in real-time.

Chord-scale theory often takes a "big picture" view, seeing chords (especially large extended ones) and scales (subsets) as two forms of the same thing. Though this view is valid enough, it tends to leave a lack of explanation regarding some of the gritty details evident in all styles of music. Many of these details are better explained via "linear harmony"- the study of harmony and melody in motion (both elements hugely affected by rhythm and phrasing). This view is an improvement on the static "vertical" analysis of melodies against their corresponding chords. By integrating the "pools of notes" signature of chord-scale theory with the voice-leading, melodic devices, and phrasing addressed in "linear harmony", I am confident that a musician can feel empowered by an understanding that can guide his/her intuition to a high level of creative self-expression.

After the initial release of the book, I received a lot of very positive feedback on my work, and enjoyed corresponding with the readers who felt inclined to write. Around the same time, I also began to run into some veteran "CST haters", who heatedly discussed the oversights and pitfalls of the certain prominent educators in the field of chord-scale theory (not me, mind you). At first, I was taken aback, but soon learned to see it as an opportunity to refine my own understanding and book for the better. I began to read countless online articles, blogs, and threads, and studied the works of Bert Ligon, Hal Galper, Robert Rawlins, Matthew Warnock, Keith Waters, and many other contemporary educator/authors who are highly regarded. After a year of reevaluating the "Levine" school of thought (which I originally subscribed to in the year 2000) and some of my own "homegrown" ideas, I feel like I gained a clearer overview of the current "jazz theory zeitgeist" (especially as it relates to the guitarist community). With this mindset, and the expert assistance of Jeff Brent (musician/educator and author of Modalogy), I fully edited and revised my book to meet the needs and high standards of the modern student to the best of my ability.

The book is designed primarily for the layman interested in self-study. It is written in a friendly easy-to-follow manner made for practical application. There are combinations of fretboard diagrams, charts, guitar TAB, and notation on almost every page. It is also set up well for use as a quick reference book for those already savvy with the material.

I print the book in small quantities, and ship orders as quickly as possible. The above-mentioned fully revised edition is shipping and available for download now. I will do my absolute best to ensure buyers a quality product. Customers are free to contact me if they have any customer-service needs or other questions. Upon request, I will gladly send the newly revised edition to any customers who bought the book prior to 2012 with a proof of purchase."

Included in this Book:

• Fretboard Notes and Intervals
    • Building Scales and Modes
    • Building Chords from Modes
    • Tonal Hierarchies within Chord-Scales
    • “Inside” Chord-Scale Choices
    • Hexatonic and Pentatonic Scales
    • The Harmonic Minor Scale
    • The Phrygian Dominant Mode
    • The Melodic Minor Modes and Harmony
    • The Dominant Diminished Scale and Harmony
    • The Whole-Tone Scale and Harmony
    • Triads and Inversions on the Fretboard
    • Polychords and Slash Chords
    • “So What” and Quartal Harmony
    • Upper-Structure Partial Chord Voicings
    • Chord Progressions and Cadences
    • 12 Bar Blues and Rhythm Changes
    • The Circle of 4ths and Key Signatures
    • Neighboring and Parallel Keys
    • Secondary Dominants and Back-Cycling
    • Borrowed Chords and Modal Interchange
    • Substitution and Reharmonization
    • Linear Harmony and Melodic Devices
    • How to Build and Connect Basic Outlines
    • Melodic Embellishment Devices
    • Adding Harmony Lines to Melodies
    • And Much More!

Yours truly,

JonnyPac
    Last edited by JonnyPac; 03-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I have the fully-revised version ready for those who want to upgrade. PM me for the DL info.

Best wishes.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to get the feel for single string improvisation. Just started working with this Bert Ligon's "Connecting Chords With Linear Harmony", trying to get some feeling for structure.

Can anyone give me some pointer on how to work with this book?

I can play some pretty good lines - lines that I actually like alot - but I just don't know where I am in the tune. I don't know what measure I'm in or what chord I'm playing over.

User Info Menu

Phew... I just individually emailed everyone who ever bought the e-book and offered free upgrades. It took over 4 hours...

If I missed anyone, please let me know. Also I have some promo pricing going through 3/31/12. PM for the details.

Best wishes!

User Info Menu

I've updated my website and a lot of old threads here with the new example pages. I'll keep cleaning up the threads as time permits.

Thanks again to all of you who have supported me through this long-term writing/revising/self-publishing project. I'm relieved to be finishing it off at last.

User Info Menu

I just wanted to mention that the hard copies are now ring-bound instead of comb-bound. They open easier and stay nicer.

I hope you all are well.