The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Very basic traditional explanations of counterpoint, voiceleading, fundamental bass theory, and harmonic duelism.
    Oh wow, I first misread this as "Harmonic Delusion." I was about to throw my inadequate self into the fray in old Arnie's defense!

But, I guess I must be a philistine. I agree with Sailor, I like his older tonal stuff best! ...I didn't mean that as a slur on you sailor, just to clarify!!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are you talking traditional music schools, Schoenberg did teach at UCLA from 36 to 43, most of his later books were for teaching references... I still dig Foss compositions, he took over after Schoenberg.
    I mean where is Composition now... pretty boring. Instead of trying to find one monotonality concept... we went through the minimalism approach... maybe still going on... As far as influence on Jazz... I would thing it's the other way around....
    If you start with a definition of human nature and go from there, maybe traditional music has made some wrong assumptions... and then academia has a talent of cutting it's own throat sometimes.
    Interesting subject... I'll visit some old friends still teaching for some opinions. Reg

User Info Menu

[quote=Revelen;173050]Oh wow, I first misread this as "Harmonic Delusion." I was about to throw my inadequate self into the fray in old Arnie's defense!
    Harmonic Delusion... now that is a great name for a tune..... I'll put together a Big Band chart just for that Title... thanks. I think that's what many of my fellow pros think I'm in constantly... Harmonic Delusion, wow I dig that.
    Yea I also dig his tonal material much more. I think it reflected more of himself... it seems he spent much of his life searching for something, or at least a method of covering what he heard. I would have enjoyed conversations after his heart attack in Chicago... Reg

User Info Menu

Glad to be of service. Next time I gravely misread something else with humorous results I'll try to remember to letcha know!

User Info Menu

I'm always on the look for a title... that will be difficult to top... it somewhat even helps compositionally... I'll try and post a clip when I finish and have it played... Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Is pure Atonality a spent force?
    Listen to Hilary Hahn playing his violin concerto and tell me what you think. It's firmly set in his 12 tone period. http://www.universalmusicclassical.c...864bbdc12f.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Reynolds
    So I've been reading Arnold Schoenbergs 'structural functions of harmony' and shamefully have only really digested the first and second chapters, after that it gets a bit hard to understand as he talks about things but does not say why he uses them as he does.

(All of these examples are in relation to C major)
    As an example he starts with the simple idea of raising the 6th and 7th of A minor ascending and then flattening descending. That's easy to grasp and is basic classical theory.

I see he has also said we can substitute the G in E phrygian for a G#, then I thought to myself "yer that makes sense since its the raised 7th of A minor'.

THEN, he goes on to suggest we flatten the fourth of lydian??

He also suggests raising the 7th in Dorian ascending and then making it natural and flattening the 6th descending, this is where I begin to get confused.

And finally he suggests raising the 7th of mixolydian, again a standard major scale.

My question is (more of a command) can someone explain the theory behind the alterations to the scale degrees that aren't the 6th and 7th of A minor to me?

Schoenberg....Where do you get off?

p.s. sorry if that's hard to read/understand for anyone, I needed to ask before it's out of my head
    Hey Joe,
    Very interesting question. Schoenberg is o.k.
    first read the whole book and forget what you've learned in the past.

User Info Menu

So I've been reading Arnold Schoenbergs 'structural functions of harmony' and shamefully have only really digested the first and second chapters, after that it gets a bit hard to understand as he talks about things but does not say why he uses them as he does.

(All of these examples are in relation to C major)
    As an example he starts with the simple idea of raising the 6th and 7th of A minor ascending and then flattening descending. That's easy to grasp and is basic classical theory.

I see he has also said we can substitute the G in E phrygian for a G#, then I thought to myself "yer that makes sense since its the raised 7th of A minor'.

THEN, he goes on to suggest we flatten the fourth of lydian??

He also suggests raising the 7th in Dorian ascending and then making it natural and flattening the 6th descending, this is where I begin to get confused.

And finally he suggests raising the 7th of mixolydian, again a standard major scale.

My question is (more of a command) can someone explain the theory behind the alterations to the scale degrees that aren't the 6th and 7th of A minor to me?

Schoenberg....Where do you get off?

p.s. sorry if that's hard to read/understand for anyone, I needed to ask before it's out of my head
    are you referring to chromatic passing tones in a melodic line, or chords with these altered tones?

User Info Menu

I was referring to what Schoenberg alters in the modes, the alterations (such as the natural 4 in lydian etc...) are there primarily for the sake of the melodic line, the natural 4 in lydian is a descending leading tone to the 3rd and the #4 in lydian is an ascending leading tone to the 5th. the other modes have alterations for similair reasons

User Info Menu

Hey Joe,
    First I want to say that I'm not defending Arnold. But how does it sound to your ears Joe? Have you played it and listen how it sounds. This is pure classical music, but I'm sure Joe, you can make it sound jazzy. As long as the note belongs the chordmode, it's there to play, but how do you cover and recover it.

In the mixolydian the F# is setbetween parentheses, I use it as an option to play a triplet in the scale, it sounds very jazzy to my ears and it's still a G7
    The same with F lydian
    Bye

I was referring to what Schoenberg alters in the modes, the alterations (such as the natural 4 in lydian etc...) are there primarily for the sake of the melodic line, the natural 4 in lydian is a descending leading tone to the 3rd and the #4 in lydian is an ascending leading tone to the 5th. the other modes have alterations for similair reasons

User Info Menu

Hey Joe... the alterations are an attempt to expand and use an already establishes method or system of explaining non-diatonic notes which created non-diatonic harmonies. The goal was to be able to relate a complete composition to one tonal center... as is 12 tone or serial music.
    It obviously didn't work... but at least helped open some eyes and ears.Reg

User Info Menu

The goal was to be able to relate a complete composition to one tonal center... as is 12 tone or serial music.
    I would argue that it did and does work, he satisfactorily created a way to describe the relationship of nearly every (or maybe every every, I'm not savvy enough to know) traditional harmony to any given tonal center. It's not necessarily a very practical method of analysis, and I think it contradicts what our brain-ears get ass a vibe, but it nevertheless does function as the descriptive device he seems to have intended. I think it is actually a pretty good description of the mindset "start in c minor, end in c minor" era.

...or maybe I jut like it 'cause it's nifty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krenwin
    In the mixolydian the F# is setbetween parentheses, I use it as an option to play a triplet in the scale, it sounds very jazzy to my ears and it's still a G7
    That, my friends, is the Dominant Bebop scale: G A B C D E F F# G
    If you play strictly linear eighths, starting with a chord tone on a downbeat, you can go for an eternity over a given harmony without hitting anything but Root, 3, 5, 7. Useful if you hate extensions, or want to sound "period" or very inside.
    ex.
    v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v...
    G A B C D E F F#G A B A G F#F E D...

There's also a Minor(Dorian) version. This one is identical to the Mixo version, they are modes of each other: Note, same downbeat pitches.: D E F F# G A B C D (Root, 3, 4, 6)

There's also a Major/Minor version: C D E F G G# A B C (gives you Root, 3, 5, 6 of Cmaj6) or (Root, 3, 5, 7 of a-7). Some people will blast it over minor ii-Vs as well, and with an E tonic it is a very traditional Spanish scale (though usually the three adjacent pitches are not played in a row in this context). Fun to play around with.

There's a melodic minor version too, but I don't remember it... probably cool too!

I guess that was off topic, but, but, but...

User Info Menu

Maybe everything is in lydian, the fifth mode of C lydian the G, where the F =F#, A minor is already in C lydian, so we skip the melodic theory

Hey Joe... the alterations are an attempt to expand and use an already establishes method or system of explaining non-diatonic notes which created non-diatonic harmonies. The goal was to be able to relate a complete composition to one tonal center... as is 12 tone or serial music.

User Info Menu

Greetings jazzguitar.be
    Thanks for reminding me abouth the scales
    G-A-Bb-C-D-D#-E-F#-G (bebob melodic)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelen
    That, my friends, is the Dominant Bebop scale: G A B C D E F F# G
    If you play strictly linear eighths, starting with a chord tone on a downbeat, you can go for an eternity over a given harmony without hitting anything but Root, 3, 5, 7. Useful if you hate extensions, or want to sound "period" or very inside.
    ex.
    v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v ^ v...
    G A B C D E F F#G A B A G F#F E D...

There's also a Minor(Dorian) version. This one is identical to the Mixo version, they are modes of each other: Note, same downbeat pitches.: D E F F# G A B C D (Root, 3, 4, 6)

There's also a Major/Minor version: C D E F G G# A B C (gives you Root, 3, 5, 6 of Cmaj6) or (Root, 3, 5, 7 of a-7). Some people will blast it over minor ii-Vs as well, and with an E tonic it is a very traditional Spanish scale (though usually the three adjacent pitches are not played in a row in this context). Fun to play around with.

There's a melodic minor version too, but I don't remember it... probably cool too!

I guess that was off topic, but, but, but...

User Info Menu

So how does SFOH deal with Modulation,Modal interchange, multi tonic harmony, metric harmony, modal harmony, non functional harmony. Sorry this is a trick set of questions... Reg

User Info Menu

Yeah, but for the couple centuries of western harmony in the tradition with which he was dealing, I still think it's a pretty good description. Modulation and MI, etc. seem to be pretty well named by means of the regions non functional harmony could just be particularly colorful roving harmony from Harmonilehre. Though I admit he would probably have put Giant Steps in a single key with excursion in particularly far-flung regions, like Mediant major, or even Mediant Major's Mediant Major, a bit cumbersome, and inelegant, to be sure. Actually, most standard modal jazz seems like it could be described quite well as interchange or a stagnant harmony, although modality is really more of a linear than a harmonic concept anyway... I still think it is an interesting and reasonably functional analytical system, but I do cede (yet again) that it can be frequently clumsy, especially in a modern jazz context... Not a SFOH fan, sir Reg?

User Info Menu

hey Revelen... Thanks , Actually I have and still admire Schoenberg, I did some of my grad studies and taught at UCLA. Totally love how he tried to put everything in one box, somewhat get to that point of understanding to be able to move on and compose. Or as many traditional theorist did, in the style of scientology, build on one understanding and move on... I'm not sure the analysis reflects the music. I still go through SFOH... It covers most classical and earlier concepts... but Romantic harmony... it may fit in the box but it remind me of how many traditionally educated musicians hear jazz. I'm not trying to knock... but somewhat like trying to understand all art in B&W, can be very cool, but there can be more. Sorry about analogy...
    But I also do like and think it is a very reasonable and functional analytical system and could shed some new light on compositional concepts and possible analysis. Reg

User Info Menu

i think Schoenberg is trying to show that tonalities are not fixed, and that any tone can function as an extension of any scale, mode, or key. in his later chapters he explains this more, and talks about this in terms of key and harmonic function, talking about how there is only ever one key or tonal; center, and all other keys function to either move the upper harmonies further from or closer to that original key. this is all based around overtone, and also formed the basis for later theoretical ideas like the Lydian Chromatic Concept, and the principals of free jazz. the whole idea of free moving tonality and extreme alterations is fascinating, and this really changed the way he world viewed the rules of music theory. i love that there are other jazz guitar players interested in this

User Info Menu

just a quick little thing about that Giant Steps bit. in Coltrane's mind, there is one key, and the three major chords used in the piece (Gmaj7, Bmaj7, and Ebmaj7) are all extensions of each other which are based on dividing the octave into equal parts. he dis this in almost all of his improvisations from that period. Countdown, for example, is simply the application of this idea to Miles Davis's Tune Up. this is really difficult to get through, it took Coltrane more than a year of practice to work it out, and it is deadly in the right hands

User Info Menu

Hi jazzguitar.be
    and all the other gentlemen.. I'm still watching (reading.) In the mean time
    I'll go back to J.P. Rameau, the inventor of the harmonic analysis
    Bye